Innovista

Spartan

The Fluor Corporation and Savannah River Site are donating $1.5 million to USC to establish a center of excellence for the hydrogen economy.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110228/NEWS/302280018

Here's a more detailed article about it.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/38479-fluor-savannah-river-nuclear-invest-1-5m-in-usc?rss=0

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

The Board of Trustees has approved $15.5 million for the interior work of the final three floors of the five-story Discovery I building. Currently, two floors of Horizon I have been up-fitted. Another floor is being worked on while two floors await funding to complete interior work.

And there's really nothing new in this story, but it talks about how the new Moore School of Business will serve as the "front door" of Innovista. The new site for the building will be at Assembly and Greene Streets. Here are the present renderings, but the design is subject to change:

B82703566Z.1_20110423170512_000+GST2K2NE4.2-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

B82703566Z.1_20110423170512_000+GST2K2NED.2-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

This is a rendering of the proposed pavilion on the second floor:

B82703566Z.1_20110423170512_000+GST2K2NDS.2-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

Is it just me, or is anyone concerned about how these two massive buildings will clash in style? The Coliseum (like it or not) is an iconic, stand-alone building. This Moore building is similarly big and dramatic - but the two of them together is like putting the Walt Disney Concert Hall next to the Parthenon. I love them both, but not together.

B82703566Z.1_20110423170512_000+GST2K2NED.2-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

I understand where you're coming from. I know the design is subject to change for the Moore School, and the Coliseum might get demolished. We'll have to see how everything pans out.

Yes, but I would have hoped that there would be some kind of "master plan" rather than just a mish-mash. Consider how the Koger Center already clashes with the School of Music. And there is no continuity with the Health building next door to that. This is the gateway to Columbia, and the most important avenue in the city - can't they design something that fits with what is already there and helps to create the feeling of a grand avenue. Think of the spectacular settings of the Champs-Élysées with similar heights and similar building materials. Or the view down 5th Avenue in NYC. I don't mean that we should re-create those streets in Columbia, but this city has the potential to do something special - something with a unified design look. The potential is there - apparently just not the vision.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did they take their architectural cues from the Coliseum? You've got the Strom right across the street, which is a much more attractive building.

The Coliseum will be in between where the new building is going to be located and the Strom, the corner of Greene and Assembly streets, not Blossom and Assembly.

It looks very nice. Someone on here said it clashes with the coliseum. I don't see that, especially if they go through with the coliseum renovations to resemble the renderings I've seen.

I think its massing should help the coliseum not be a lone monster. They should relate well, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Barf. This is a $90 million building and the best design they can think of is a 60's era brutalist style piece of crap?

I actually like it. The second picture is the best IMO. What kind of material/design were you looking for? It was going to be massive either way and I think they pulled it off. You have to imagine the buildings surrounding this and how it will relate to them.

I actually like it. The second picture is the best IMO. What kind of material/design were you looking for? It was going to be massive either way and I think they pulled it off. You have to imagine the buildings surrounding this and how it will relate to them.

Something more along the lines of the Strom, the Honors College, or the Arnold School of Health. I think the "brick and mortar" look is more appropriate for classroom buildings. I understand why they picked the design they did, but I don't like it. They based their entire design off of the one adjacent building. There is no other adjacent context for that style of architecture near by (the next closest might be the Thomas Cooper Library), and I don't think Carolina should play off of bad architectural styling for its new buildings in the first place. Further, I have always been of the opinion that the Coliseum should be razed.

Also, this may or may not be "brutalist" as I mentioned before. I'm not really sure what this style is called.

• 1 month later...

Just came back from my Development Meeting with the Department of Development and services in downtown today and i got some word about the Innovista. i heard an Announcement might be brought up by the end of the year about major development in the Innovista project. the city knows but thats it no one else knows exactally what it is

• 1 month later...

USC breaks ground on new Moore School of Business; said to be the "gateway" to the Innovista

The project is said to be a critical turning point for USC, the Innovista, and Columbia's downtown.

Read more about the project here: http://www.thestate.com/2011/09/23/1983019/usc-breaks-ground-on-moore-school.html

See pictures of the building design here (there are 19 slides) : http://www.thestate.com/2011/09/23/1983065/darla-moore-school-of-business.html

The International Economic Development Council has given USC and Columbia one of its annual 'excellence in economic development awards' for the university and city's collaborative efforts in hydrogen fuel cell research and technology. The awards recognize "the world's best economic development programs and partnerships." Not bad for a program that's only seven years into its 20-year plan.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/09/30/1991754/usc-columbia-fuel-cell-effort.html

• 2 months later...