Innovista

Spartan

• 3 weeks later...

Darla Moore School of Business Construction

http://m.flickr.com/...09169/lightbox/

I'm just getting a black screen. I see the site a few times a week anyway, but I love looking at other photographers' photos. One day soon I'll try to make it a point to have my camera with me when I'm down there.

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This could go in this thread or in "Historic Congaree Vista Developments." The USC Alumni Association appears close to building at Lincoln and Senate.

http://www.columbiab...e-streets?rss=0

Nice area if they get the go ahead to build this it would look great in that spot. but i would like for them to give the design a bit of a Modern design instead of a old school housing project design. Something more Innovista like even though its in the Historic Vista area.

That location is inappropriate, IMO. I don't get their reasoning behind it at all.

I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

I emailed the following to the mayor and city council earlier this evening:

People at urbanplanet.org and ____________ are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.

• 1 month later...

I emailed the following to the mayor and city council earlier this evening:

People at urbanplanet.org and ____________ are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.

At least space in the alumni center can be utilized by the public in connection with the convention center.

In other news, on yesterday, the State Budget and Control Board approved $13 million in bonds to complete work on two floors of the Horizon building. Final work is being completed on the Discovery building. Plans for two buildings for private companies have been on hold.

At least space in the alumni center can be utilized by the public in connection with the convention center.

In other news, on yesterday, the State Budget and Control Board approved $13 million in bonds to complete work on two floors of the Horizon building. Final work is being completed on the Discovery building. Plans for two buildings for private companies have been on hold.

Also, we eat a Longhorn a good bit, and the new center should provide quite an aesthetic boost at the end of that alley.

• 4 weeks later...

This week, USC received a $645,000, five-year federal grant to launch a center to help startups with new product development. The Innovista Center for Product Realization, or ICPR, will be an interdisciplinary, collaborative and holistic approach to helping technology-based startups. The ICPR will feature a product design and prototype development program that will help companies create product concepts and applications that have commercial potential and help them develop strategies for getting those products into the marketplace. Startups in and around USC will have access to an experienced team of product design, development and management experts both inside the university and in the private sector. The program will leverage the expertise of USC faculty at the College of Engineering and Computing, the Darla Moore School of Business and the university’s Office of Technology Commercialization.

The ICPR will also partner with programs and facilities throughout the region, including the USC/Columbia Technology Incubator and the Southeastern Institute for Manufacturing and Technology Florence. The Midlands Center for Entrepreneurial and Technological Innovation will manage the ICPR program and provide access to mentors, training sessions, and startup service providers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the time frame is for the Sasaki Associates designed riverfront park being built? You can see renderings of it if you simply Google "Innovista". With the developments on the corner of Huger and Blossom (student housing) and at the nearby Compress Warehouse, I would hope we could secure federal funding to kickstart what officials have called a "world class" urban park (ringed with appropriately designed condos and apartments). I know the economy bottomed out at the same time this plan was building steam, and that it may never live up to how elaborate it was in its original plans, but I'm hoping that park may be the real catalyst needed to spur a new building boom.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the time frame is for the Sasaki Associates designed riverfront park being built? You can see renderings of it if you simply Google "Innovista". With the developments on the corner of Huger and Blossom (student housing) and at the nearby Compress Warehouse, I would hope we could secure federal funding to kickstart what officials have called a "world class" urban park (ringed with appropriately designed condos and apartments). I know the economy bottomed out at the same time this plan was building steam, and that it may never live up to how elaborate it was in its original plans, but I'm hoping that park may be the real catalyst needed to spur a new building boom.

This project should indeed have some help from the feds and it's realistically the most realistic way the project will get done, but Pres. Obama has restricted the use of earmarks and Clyburn is standing behind the president's decision in this matter. So who knows what the time frame will be.

• 5 weeks later...

With encouragement from Innovista, American Specialty Health, Inc. of San Diego is locating a new health technology innovation center in Columbia to grow the pipeline for programmers who may become its employees, said Kevin Kujawa, the company’s chief information officer.

The new center, which will be located in the IT-ology at Innovista building at 1301 Gervais St., is expected to employ about 15 professional programmers at its inception.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is considered the Innovista or Historic Congaree Vista District, but there is yet another student housing/apartment proposal.  This one on Pulaski Street, on the site of the 900 Pulaski townhomes project that lost steam due to the recession.  Here's the link of the proposal:

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_DDRC_Packet_2013_02_14_Pendleton_520_Eval.pdf

I'm not sure if this is considered the Innovista or Historic Congaree Vista District, but there is yet another student housing/apartment proposal.  This one on Pulaski Street, on the site of the 900 Pulaski townhomes project that lost steam due to the recession.  Here's the link of the proposal:

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_DDRC_Packet_2013_02_14_Pendleton_520_Eval.pdf

The Vista encompasses Innovista.  The original intent of Innovista was to create an atmosphere in which we don't know where one ends and the other begins.  So far, so good.