Innovista

Spartan

I think that the Moore Business School looks tacky with the aluminum siding. What a downer for what should have been a iconic building. 

Do you mean the brown siding?  New York architects designed the building.  It's way too early to tell.

• 2 months later...

Moore School of Business taken about a month ago.  This is building is looking very odd.

IMAG1760_zps68917c6a.jpg

Not just odd - it's downright ugly. This should have been an iconic building - but it looks trashy, with cheap-looking metal siding. The white metal parts that are now on the building, under the brown metal slabs that are supposed to look like wood, look  like corrugated siding from a storage building. And compared to the Coliseum next door it looks like a trailer park.

Edited by mr.chips

Not just odd - it's downright ugly. This should have been an iconic building - but it looks trashy, with cheap-looking metal siding. The white metal parts that are now on the building, under the brown metal slabs that are supposed to look like wood, look  like corrugated siding from a storage building. And compared to the Coliseum next door it looks like a trailer park.

I don't see it.  I like it so far for a modern university business school building.

I don't see it.  I like it so far for a modern university business school building.

Here are a few to compare it to - LOL:

Diller-Scofidio-and-Renfro-to-Design-Col

Columbia Business School in New York, USA

Business-School-and-Teaching-Complex-1.j

Business School and Teaching Complex in Auckland

IMI-International-Management-Institute-K

IMI International Management Institute Kolkata in West Bengal, IndiaFIU-Chapman-Graduate-School-of-Business-

FIU Chapman Graduate School of Business in Miami, Florida, USA

1335753033-scau-business-school-troyes-0

Troyes Business School

Architecture-of-Business-School-and-Chan
Business School and Chancellery Edith Cowan University.
ImperialCollegeBusinessSchool.jpg

The rendering does more for me than any of those, and so far it's shaping up to look like the rendering.  The metal treatment above the doorway on the third one is nothing to call home about unless it would be to complain.  

Edited by CorgiMatt

I really hated the business school design at first, but it has grown on me. The challenge Vinoly faced was designing a building that did not conflict hugely with the Coliseum (columns, ugly, brutal) or the Koger Center (glass, light, modern) and had the potential to hit a Net Zero energy rating. The wood accents make it feel like something you might find in Denver or Portland and the height on Assembly Street seems appropriate so as not to make it too physically imposing. I do wish the school had thought more about consistency of design, but they have to work with what previous administrations did architecturally.

• 1 month later...

USC's proposal for a Mixed-Use Commercial / Private Student Dormitory.  I could not extract pictures from the proposal  but here's the link.

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_DDRC_Packet_2013_09_12_Park_611-701_Other.pdf

Edited by BrasilnSC
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

An Ohio-based development group that wanted to demolish the Palmetto Compress warehouse in Columbia for student housing has gotten initial city approval to build two private dormitories with a total of 700 beds flanking the historic structure.

Columbia’s Design Development Review Board, which twice rejected the project last year before the city stepped in to buy the warehouse, unanimously approved the two projects on Thursday.

Members last year said the project, located on Blossom, Greene and Pulaski streets, didn’t meet the guidelines for the University of South Carolina’s Innovista District. Members, however, called the re-designed project “good-looking” and “interesting.”

http://www.thestate.com/2014/01/09/3199012/private-dorms-get-city-boards.html

COLUMBIA, SC — University of South Carolina trustees agreed Thursday to have Holder Properties build a $94.6 million apartment complex behind the Carolina Coliseum and a $25 million office building in the Innovista research campus.

The university will lease the land to the Atlanta-based developer, which will construct and take most of the profit generated from the apartments and offices.

USC is not spending any money on the buildings and will take a cut earned from the projects that still need final city of Columbia and state regulatory approvals.

In Columbia, Holder has built the Main & Gervais and Meridian office towers and the Adesso condominiums and Aspyre apartments.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/01/16/3210372/usc-approves-dorm-office-building.html

The deal USC negotiated is pretty brilliant. The school will make $526k + 15% of profits for 30 years and pay $664k in rent for office space. I'm not sure what profits will be, but either way USC avoids taking on debt and paying maintenance and improvements, hugely increases the amount of housing and office space, and gets the land back in 40 years when the building will likely need to be rebuilt. Maintenance fees alone may be close to the annual net rent, so this is a huge win. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight's DDRC meeting: http://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20140213/pds_ddrc_2014_february_agenda_hyperlinked.pdf

Two big developments for Innovista: (follow link above to see developments, photos, etc.)

1- Private dorms behind the Coliseum & business school

2-Office building on Horizon II site

Pretty positive these will be passed easy peasy. I really like the private dorms, but the office building seems a bit.... been there, done that. Isn't bold enough for that corner, imo. 

I actually like both the office building and the dorms a lot.  The office building will complement what's already there nicely and has a little more to recommend it IMO.

I do agree with you, the office building will complement the existing garage and first horizon building well. I also like how a footprint will remain for future development, as well as an internal courtyard. The meeting last night had to be cancelled, but hopefully they can reschedule it within a week or two.  

• 3 weeks later...
Tech-titan IBM and construction-giant Fluor reportedly are looking to lease a large portion of the new Innovista office building. The companies initially would employ 50 workers but add another 450 people within a few years.

• 4 weeks later...