Innovista

Spartan

Wrong lot still. We're talking about between assembly and park street on Pendleton. Diagonally across from the state house. And yes the lot you're talking about is slated for development as another student housing project starting in the spring of 2015. It is phase 2 of USC's joint development with holder properties.

See Proposal here for the lot you're talking about:

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20140213/pds_ddrc_2014-02-13_pkt_park611-701.pdf

This is rather confusing since there are so many dorms in development right now. The one SouthernBorn mentions above is diagonally across from the state house, as he indicates. But across the street from that is a lot that is blocked off from view (next to the Public Health building) where they seem to be moving dirt. Not sure what is happening there - are they just moving dirt to clean up asbestos? Or is something going to be built there?

hilarious how much confusion this has caused. Lot is TMS # 08916-07-01. you'll notice that there is nothing on the interwebs about it

Aha! Finally - looking up that TMS I find: "for installation and maintenance of asphalt pavement, concrete curb, gutter, landscaping and an irrigation system". So, no building - just upgrading the lot, I guess. Thanks, Spes.

Wrong lot still. We're talking about between assembly and park street on Pendleton. Diagonally across from the state house. And yes the lot you're talking about is slated for development as another student housing project starting in the spring of 2015. It is phase 2 of USC's joint development with holder properties.

See Proposal here for the lot you're talking about:

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20140213/pds_ddrc_2014-02-13_pkt_park611-701.pdf

I'm sorry Southernborn, but you have mistaken the geography of my my comment entirely. The fenced off lot I am addressing, across Assembly from Wells Fargo & beside the school of public health, is not the site slated for the second phase of the student apartments. The holder apartments are not even remotely diagonal to the state house, and I'm sure you will notice that if you closely examine the link you have shared. Student housing will not be going onto the lot I am referencing. It is indeed a staging area for the holder projects; all one has to do, is simply walk by, and survey the scene - loads of building materials. Plus, it helps to have been a student with contacts to confirm.  

& Yes, University Tower (the mid-rise you mention) has been announced for the vacant lot across Pendleton, neighboring both the Bernstein & Bernstein law office and tin roof. The last time I was nearby, this lot remains open and not fenced off.

Also, the pavement, irrigation, drainage, curb, etc work mentioned by another forum member has been completed, and for some time. The work was mostly completed directly behind the school of public health, including the addition of catch basin behind the expanded parking area.

Thanks for the discussion guys, and I hope this clears up any confusion.    

I'm sorry Southernborn, but you have mistaken the geography of my my comment entirely. The fenced off lot I am addressing, across Assembly from Wells Fargo & beside the school of public health, is not the site slated for the second phase of the student apartments. The holder apartments are not even remotely diagonal to the state house, and I'm sure you will notice that if you closely examine the link you have shared. Student housing will not be going onto the lot I am referencing. It is indeed a staging area for the holder projects; all one has to do, is simply walk by, and survey the scene - loads of building materials. Plus, it helps to have been a student with contacts to confirm.

& Yes, University Tower (the mid-rise you mention) has been announced for the vacant lot across Pendleton, neighboring both the Bernstein & Bernstein law office and tin roof. The last time I was nearby, this lot remains open and not fenced off.

Also, the pavement, irrigation, drainage, curb, etc work mentioned by another forum member has been completed, and for some time. The work was mostly completed directly behind the school of public health, including the addition of catch basin behind the expanded parking area.

I know I'm not confused. The property I took a picture of is not the staging area but is in fact something else as they are moving dirt and what not there. I know the other black taped off area is the one behind DMSB which is the staging area for 650 Lincoln. That black taped off area when 650 is done will then be student housing.

Thanks for the discussion and hope this clears up any confusion you had. I do know what I'm talking about thank you very much.

Edited by SouthernBorn

Oh, wow! You are correct that lot TMS # 08916-07-01 is not the one on Pendleton St that we are talking about next to the Public Health building. You are correct - that is the work that was done on College Street across from the School of Music. But-  look at the lot on Pendleton that is, as you say, a staging area for Holder. It may be that - but they are also moving dirt around there. I saw it on Friday. 

I don't actually think that Southernborn was referring to the lot diagonally across from the Statehouse as the Phase 2 of Holder - I think that was just unclear in his post.  We probably need some clearer way to discuss all these properties. In any case, it is great that so much is happening in that area right now. We seem to be confused, but it is "good confusion"!

Edited by mr. chips

Oh, wow! You are correct that lot TMS # 08916-07-01 is not the one on Pendleton St that we are talking about next to the Public Health building. You are correct - that is the work that was done on College Street across from the School of Music. But-  look at the lot on Pendleton that is, as you say, a staging area for Holder. It may be that - but they are also moving dirt around there. I saw it on Friday. 

I don't actually think that Southernborn was referring to the lot diagonally across from the Statehouse as the Phase 2 of Holder - I think that was just unclear in his post.  We probably need some clearer way to discuss all these properties. In any case, it is great that so much is happening in that area right now. We seem to be confused, but it is "good confusion"!

I guess a clearer way is to create a thread for every project.

I know I'm not confused. The property I took a picture of is not the staging area but is in fact something else as they are moving dirt and what not there. I know the other black taped off area is the one behind DMSB which is the staging area for 650 Lincoln. That black taped off area when 650 is done will then be student housing.

Thanks for the discussion and hope this clears up any confusion you had. I do know what I'm talking about thank you very much.

SouthernBorn, not trying to stir up things or pick a bone with you - just letting you know what I know - the lot next to the public health building is a staging area..which includes mounds of sand and earth.

Not sure which of the photos you are referring to, 015 or 017? I do know that 015 is a photograph of the construction staging area next to the Arnold that I've been mentioning.

Not sure where or from which angle photo 017 was taken, but I commented in order to address your comment: "Don't quite know what this is. I've heard rumors of student housing and a look alike public health building" - so I assumed this photo was also of the staging area in photo 015. If they are photographs of two completely different lots- my apologies. But, I assumed both photos were of the same property. 

SouthernBorn, not trying to stir up things or pick a bone with you - just letting you know what I know - the lot next to the public health building is a staging area..which includes mounds of sand and earth.

Not sure which of the photos you are referring to, 015 or 017? I do know that 015 is a photograph of the construction staging area next to the Arnold that I've been mentioning.

Not sure where or from which angle photo 017 was taken, but I commented in order to address your comment: "Don't quite know what this is. I've heard rumors of student housing and a look alike public health building" - so I assumed this photo was also of the staging area in photo 015. If they are photographs of two completely different lots- my apologies. But, I assumed both photos were of the same property.

My apologies as well. Just wondering how a taped off area of Assembly has a connection with something going on two blocks over that has it's own staging area.

My apologies as well. Just wondering how a taped off area of Assembly has a connection with something going on two blocks over that has it's own staging area.

Well, at first, I also believed something more productive was happening at this location. But quickly changed my mind; it makes sense that this vacant area would be used for a  temporary staging area for 650 Lincoln, when you consider:

- when the first phase of construction began on the holder apartments, the moore school remained uncompleted. So the staging area for the business school, directly behind it (and consequently, the area of phase 2 of holder development) was still in use. & with two separate developers and contractors, two staging areas would be needed.

- the second phase of the holder apartments is set to begin before the first phase is even completed, so why would one put their staging area for that first phase, on property they intend to develop before finishing up construction on the opposite block? Again, sounds odd at first, but more plausible when you really consider given construction timelines. 

- & last point, in order to conserve the two remaining blocks of large surface parking used by commuters and staff, and keep parking complaints to a minimum, USC would not allow more parking to be taken up for a staging area. 

Maybe these will help  :good:

Also, I do believe the vacant Discovery II lot is being used as a staging area for the holder project. They need all the space they can get with this mammoth of a project!!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had posted earlier today on this, but I'm sure it was operator error. Sasaki Associates' plan to develop Greene to the river is on. Construction, planting trees, and whatnot, begins in March. I was somewhat dismayed to see the bridge over the rr tracks may not be built until 2019, but if they can begin work on the waterfront park, and retail/office space on that side of the tracks now, then it will truly be a great day when the ribbon is cut in the middle of the bridge.   

Edited by colasc

I don't see an announcement on the riverfront park. My impression is that they will hold off on developing it until the Huger corridor fills in more, but I could be wrong. It's high on the penny tax park priority list, which is a good sign. It's such a big project that it's destined to have a huge impact on development in the area. At any rate, the development pattern they sketched out is already different with the announcements of Greene Crossing and the Holder dorms. It's hard to predict what Greene will look like once finished, but it's safe to say it will become a primary corridor for USC students.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/12/13/3871929_long-awaited-project-to-connect.html?rh=1

• 1 month later...

650 Lincoln - Student Housing and Retail

6D570B2E-F996-4AC7-AC96-85243BC4D901_zps

View from Colonial Life Arena.

42FB4F22-0299-40A7-97E8-FCDC8A7A4E94_zps

Corner of Lincoln and Devine.

FCBB2E60-7035-4B37-8ADC-6D999D99E872_zps

View from the Greek Village at Blossom and Lincoln.

C19B5DD8-768B-4CE3-ABD4-260513EA82F0_zps

Pedestrian bridge across Blossom from Strom Thurmond Fitness and Wellness.

7C977DB2-5DCE-4B02-9CE1-316B2E9A1F96_zps

View from the Coliseum.

D3214575-584F-4168-B08D-E0322BAC298C_zps

7BE9BD99-A4D8-452C-9E5A-7C1AB6111840_zps

Edited by BrasilnSC
  • Like 2

650 Lincoln - Student Housing and Retail

6D570B2E-F996-4AC7-AC96-85243BC4D901_zps

View from Colonial Life Arena.

42FB4F22-0299-40A7-97E8-FCDC8A7A4E94_zps

Corner of Lincoln and Devine.

FCBB2E60-7035-4B37-8ADC-6D999D99E872_zps

View from the Greek Village at Blossom and Lincoln.

C19B5DD8-768B-4CE3-ABD4-260513EA82F0_zps

Pedestrian bridge across Blossom from Strom Thurmond Fitness and Wellness.

7C977DB2-5DCE-4B02-9CE1-316B2E9A1F96_zps

View from the Coliseum.

D3214575-584F-4168-B08D-E0322BAC298C_zps

7BE9BD99-A4D8-452C-9E5A-7C1AB6111840_zps

That's coming along pretty good there. Can't wait to see it finished.

It's like Christmas! Thank's for all the photos, they're incredible. I'm not sure when they're scheduled to start the second dorm catty corner from the CLA, but it's scheduled to open July 31, 2016. If Foundation Square is already under construction, I imagine the dorm won't be far behind.

Do you have a link to the rendering for that one? It slipped past me somehow, which is just about impossibly unusual. In BrasilnSC's photo with the CLA fountain, you can see the black tarp up around the block that's catty-cornered from CLA. I was thinking the whole block was going to be Foundation Square, but according to the master plan, Foundation Square will take up only the four corners of that intersection. So it could be that the black tarp is up around the whole block because they have started construction on the dorms there. But the rendering for it did slip past me, assuming they submitted one. 

Edited by CorgiMatt

Do you have a link to the rendering for that one? It slipped past me somehow, which is just about impossibly unusual. In BrasilnSC's photo with the CLA fountain, you can see the black tarp up around the block that's catty-cornered from CLA. I was thinking the whole block was going to be Foundation Square, but according to the master plan, Foundation Square will take up only the four corners of that intersection. So it could be that the black tarp is up around the whole block because they have started construction on the dorms there. But the rendering for it did slip past me, assuming they submitted one. 

That block is currently the staging area for the housing development under constrution.  I think they will start on that block after 650 Lincoln is complete.  I believe the same company is also building the private office building at Assembly and Blossom so this may continue to be a staging area for that building.

This is the private housing development at Greene and Pulaski.  Greene Street will soon be streetscaped from Assembly to Gadsen, with the Greene Street bridge not far behind.

From Pulaski, Amtrak Station in the foreground.

1ADA9CC7-E297-4BEB-8E04-BBDB861EF347_zps

From Pulaski looking east up Greene, Darla Moore School of Business only 4 blocks away.

25CBC1E1-1C01-4602-8011-A42E8913582D_zps

From DMSB looking west down Greene.

8D30331D-F7A0-4259-A55A-89A69A0895E9_zps

4F00B17F-7537-450B-9FA7-A37D5A43D2D4_zps

Edited by BrasilnSC

It's like Christmas! Thank's for all the photos, they're incredible. I'm not sure when they're scheduled to start the second dorm catty corner from the CLA, but it's scheduled to open July 31, 2016. If Foundation Square is already under construction, I imagine the dorm won't be far behind.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!! ;)

There is a lot going on right now, it's really exciting.