Innovista

Spartan

It's a shame the Greene Street Bridge won't be ready until 2019. I guess that's not unreasonable given all of the studies that must be done before construction (i.e. environmental, engineering), but it feels so far away.

I've seen some plans and a traffic study, so design is well underway.  Even so it will be some years, fingers crossed they fast track it and finish ahead of schedule.  It's been discussed a good bit in the news.

It's like Christmas! Thank's for all the photos, they're incredible. I'm not sure when they're scheduled to start the second dorm catty corner from the CLA, but it's scheduled to open July 31, 2016. If Foundation Square is already under construction, I imagine the dorm won't be far behind.

you aint kidding all this construction in downtown. it's making columbia feel more and more like a real city. I wonder how the Innovista Main St Vista riverfront and Bull Street development is going to impact columbia in the near future. 

Would it be something so great that it attracts people from Places like Charlotte Atlanta Greenville and Myrtle Beach to the Capital city?

Great to see all the construction activity, as well as increased activity on this board. I only wish Charleston's board would pick up a bit, as after my hometown of Columbia, Charleston is my next favorite city in the state, and one of the best in the country.

Do you have a link to the rendering for that one? It slipped past me somehow, which is just about impossibly unusual. In BrasilnSC's photo with the CLA fountain, you can see the black tarp up around the block that's catty-cornered from CLA. I was thinking the whole block was going to be Foundation Square, but according to the master plan, Foundation Square will take up only the four corners of that intersection. So it could be that the black tarp is up around the whole block because they have started construction on the dorms there. But the rendering for it did slip past me, assuming they submitted one. 

I can't find the renderings on columbiasc.net, but there's the website: http://www.650lincoln.com/portfolio_page/gallery-images/.

I can't find the renderings on columbiasc.net, but there's the website: http://www.650lincoln.com/portfolio_page/gallery-images/.

An exterior rendering of a building that will sit at Lincoln and Devine next to Foundation Square is on that web page. I had overlooked it in the renderings I've seen before, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving down Huger today, I was able to have a glimpse up Greene St. I was looking eastward, towards downtown. It really is going to be a great thoroughfare to connect USC with the riverfront.

I Know right. everytime i travel down there. i always smile. thinking that its going to look real good in the coming years. Columbia is going to be put on the map

As much as I love Carolina, their obsession with beige bricks is a little much. It makes sense near the Horseshoe and the historic part of campus, but not so much in other places.

The apartments being built at Huger and Blossom, at Pulaski and Greene, at Pulaski and Pendleton, and beside the Blossom Street railroad drive-over bridge aren't going to be blond brick. 

I have thought for a while Lincoln Street near the new student dorms and CLA, should have traffic signals. It is already a bit of a cluster even though they have apparently added a three way stop at one of those intersections. With the addition of hundreds of more students to that area, many of whom will be on foot, I really think for everyone's safety they should install one or more signals. Any thoughts for those of you who may travel this area frequently as I do?

• Like 1

I have thought for a while Lincoln Street near the new student dorms and CLA, should have traffic signals. It is already a bit of a cluster even though they have apparently added a three way stop at one of those intersections. With the addition of hundreds of more students to that area, many of whom will be on foot, I really think for everyone's safety they should install one or more signals. Any thoughts for those of you who may travel this area frequently as I do?

I totally agree because I've almost been into so many accidents at that intersection before and before when I was skateboarding down there Ive almost been hit by a car trying to cross the road. 

A light is needed bad.

It seems the Greyhound station will not end up near Amtrak after all. On one hand, I think this is a missed opportunity for a multimodal hub. On the other hand, Greyhound stations don't always draw the best crowd and I would rather see continued development along Huger.

http://www.thestate.com/2015/02/12/3985391_tired-of-being-a-dumping-ground.html?rh=1

Edited by carolinagarnet
  • Like 1

I think that it would make sense... but given that there is a ped bridge that will be available and the Strom is the largest destination, I'm skeptical of whether or not it would actually happen. If there is enough traffic on the side street warrant it, then maybe.

I think that it would make sense... but given that there is a ped bridge that will be available and the Strom is the largest destination, I'm skeptical of whether or not it would actually happen. If there is enough traffic on the side street warrant it, then maybe.

That's a good question. Obviously during games and other events at the CLA, there are tons of cars, and perhaps at other times, it pretty light.

That's a good question. Obviously during games and other events at the CLA, there are tons of cars, and perhaps at other times, it pretty light.

Nah actually lately its been busy down there just on a normal day no game or anything. and thats before the dorms even open. A light is needed bad. But i guess the city is not going to do it until someone gets hit or an accident or someone dies before they do something

Springtime 2016 is slated to provide downtown Columbia with development bookends: pro baseball on the north end of the city center and a long-awaited opening of a key link in the future of USC’s Innovista campus.

Shovels no doubt are being shined for the groundbreaking Thursday of the University of South Carolina’s $25 million research and office building at the one of the city’s best-known intersections: Blossom at Assembly streets.

“It is a fabulous development – really positive for the city,” said David Lockwood, a senior vice president at commercial real estate brokerage firm Collier’s Intenational’s capital city office. “It comes at a great time. There’s a lot of momentum and growth downtown, and having that development on that corner, it just continues the momentum that we’ve got going on downtown right now.

Edited by growingup15

Article in The State today on billion dollar plan to make Cola's downtown easier/safer to navigate for cyclists, pedestrians, etc. www.thestate.com

All of this sounds great. I really think we need to also improve our transit along with this. aahhmm Hint hint Rail transit. LRT. like done in Charlotte.

No new news, here..I just wanted to fuss about the delay in building the Greene St. bridge until 2019. I know this has been mentioned here already, but I just re-read an article about the Greene St. landscaping/streetscaping project. It seems a long time to wait for something that isn't exactly like painting the Sistine Chapel. The Lady St. bridge was constructed near my office, and I had the opportunity to watch it cross the railroad tracks. I look forward to the bridge on Greene, a light at Huger, and Greene's extension to Williams St. This is truly going to be a great development for the city.  

• Like 1