Innovista

Spartan

Well, the Palmetto Compress Warehouse has a buyer. Caplan from Philadelphia is buying it with Rosie Craig, and creating apartments, retail, and potentially a hotel. I've been impressed with his work on the apartments over at Olympia Mills, and like the mills, these apartments will not necessarily be marketed to college students. I'm so glad this building was saved from the wrecking ball!

• Like 1

I've been skeptical given the completely dilapidated state of the warehouse, but if anyone can renovate it successfully, it's Caplan. There was obviously not a market for retail in Granby Mills, but it's easy to see how it would fit in that kind of development. The Granby expansion will have some limited retail and it sounds like the Compress will feature much more. I'll be excited to see this come on to market.

Took a trip to the vista today and OMG. it was so busy and I took a picture of the new Hyatt hotel. its fitting for the area.

I can't wait for the Aloft Hotel to be built across the street on the Lady st side. now we just need a Mixed used Retail/Garage on the Assembly st gervais st corner and Lady and Park st corner.

Took a trip to the vista today and OMG. it was so busy and I took a picture of the new Hyatt hotel. its fitting for the area.

I can't wait for the Aloft Hotel to be built across the street on the Lady st side. now we just need a Mixed used Retail/Garage on the Assembly st gervais st corner and Lady and Park st corner.

I agree something prominent should be built at Assembly and Gervais, as it is one of the busiest intersections downtown. Surface parking is ok in the burbs, but really takes from the energy of a downtown.

• Like 1

Papadea, if I remember correctly was on city council, and professionally, may be a real estate guy. 

If he is or was on the city council, you would think that he would understand the importance of those pieces of land as the "entrance gate" to the downtown and the capitol area. You would think that he would want to be a good citizen and create something special there - rather than a surface parking lot. If not, you would think he would sell it to someone who would build there. Is there not any way to pressure him to do the right thing with that land? Civic pressure, political pressure, anything? 

• Like 1

I would imagine he's just holding out for the highest bidder. I have not heard any rumblings, ever, to my recollection, of anyone wanting to build there. Hell, if they're building student housing at the corner of Gervais and Harden, then one must think it is only a matter of time before this parcel, which is much more suitable for development, gets sold.

I've actually thought for awhile that this piece of land would be awesome for a new koger center/performing arts space. It may be a bit small, but I'd love to have a beautiful space like the Peace Center on that property...plus, the Koger Center as a building and as an arts space just doesn't cut it...

I've actually thought for awhile that this piece of land would be awesome for a new koger center/performing arts space. It may be a bit small, but I'd love to have a beautiful space like the Peace Center on that property...plus, the Koger Center as a building and as an arts space just doesn't cut it...

Temple Ligon, local erudite architect, once proposed the building of an opera house on Main St, just a couple of blocks from that corner. He had lots of interesting ideas, but never fronted any money to see them through.

The sooner that parcel on the northwest corner gets developed the better, because within the last few days, new signage in big white stand-alone letters on the side of the old armory building above COLA'S says HUSSEY GAY BELL. The lettering doesn't go well on the historic brick, and the combination of names is only a little better than if Bell had an 'e' on the end and Gay were the first name in the logo, as in GAY HUSSEY BELLE.

Imagine the words HUSSEY GAY BELL in all capitals in white along the top of the taller building in this photograph. That's what we've got now. It might make the photograph more valuable.

16615075982_4e7087708e_c.jpgCOLA'S Restaurant - dining & cocktails in Columbia, Assembly Street near Gervais on the edge of the Vista, adjacent to the central business district by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr

Edited by CorgiMatt

The sooner that parcel on the northwest corner gets developed the better, because within the last few days, new signage in big white stand-alone letters on the side of the old armory building above COLA'S says HUSSEY GAY BELL. The lettering doesn't go well on the historic brick, and the combination of names is only a little better than if Bell had an 'e' on the end and Gay were the first name in the logo, as in GAY HUSSEY BELLE.

Imagine the words HUSSEY GAY BELL in all capitals in white along the top of the taller building in this photograph. That's what we've got now. It might make the photograph more valuable.

16615075982_4e7087708e_c.jpgCOLA'S Restaurant - dining & cocktails in Columbia, Assembly Street near Gervais on the edge of the Vista, adjacent to the central business district by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr

I've noticed that..it is hard not to notice. What an unfortunate name. She could have changed it to Meta World Peace or something. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of drive-by shots.  The first one is the complex at the corner of Huger and Blossom, view from the Blossom Bridge heading towards Assembly.  The second shows the size of 650 Lincoln, heading in the same direction.

8F9F126C-450C-4221-8F78-D1FE7598C304_zps

88A73509-D685-4B8C-9387-5A8E9FA773C2_zps

Edited by BrasilnSC