Innovista

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard it reported that in order to fund the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast, massive cuts to services and programs will occur, among them $2.5 billion to eliminate the Hydrogen Fuel Initiative. If this is true, how do you guys think this will impact Innovista? I do know that there is a reliance on state funds to really get the ball rolling, but federal funds are playing a significant role as well. If this is true, it may take a bit longer for the hydrogen fuel cell component of the district to get up off the ground, if at all (worse case scenario). I'm glad that at least the research interests are diversified.

The State reports that three USC startup companies focused on fuel cell research--Palmetto Fuel Cell Analysis & Design, Palmetto Fuel Cell Technologies, and DEnergy-- will launch Tuesday during a conference to unveil a long-term strategy for building a hydrogen economy in the state.

The company announcements will come during Tuesday

Edited by krazeeboi

I don't really see that too much in SC, as our major cities attract different sorts of industries. Greenville is more on the advanced manufacturing and automotive side of things; Columbia, along with state government and USC, will be the hub of SC's emerging hydrogen industry; Charleston specializes in the bio-tech field and has some military engineering-type firms in place as well.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Edited by krazeeboi

I've heard it reported that in order to fund the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast, massive cuts to services and programs will occur, among them $2.5 billion to eliminate the Hydrogen Fuel Initiative.

That would be so typical of our short-sighted "leaders". Cut funding to alternative energy research in order to continue to rely on the old dinosaurs (gas and oil). I'm so tired of this same old song and dance.

Oh, in that post that you quoted from me waccamatt, I need to clarify that this is the federal government's doing and not state government. I had to make that distinction because we often reserve the more intense criticisms for our state governmental leaders, although that in no way lets the feds off the hook. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

USC is courting Siemens, the German electronics and automotive conglomerate, as a private-sector tenant in Innovista. Recently, USC, Siemens, and Beaufort-based XRDi officials met to discuss formalizing a research partnership to build and test a prototype diesel engine that runs on hydrogen fuel instead of petroleum. In 5-8 years, the partners expect to develop an engine for commercial use.

From todays's "State" the area is attracting international intrest, six German companies are considering locating production sites in the Columbia area. The center allows for companies to locate to the area with benefites and see if there is a market for them. In return the city hopes to attract the companies to the region or state. The center even offers help toentrepeneurs from USC & Midlands Tech, which I think is impressive! I remember reading an article in the state a few months ago about a city leader trying to court a German Auto parts maker to the city/region. I wonder if this is it? Anyway already the area is starting to see positives from the university/city venture such as "Innovista". This is great exposure internationally for the city. It only makes sense since USC has the #1 international business program in the country. Let's hope a few of these companies want to call the Riverbanks Region home, but I'm sure they will!

International Attention

Companies coming to the incubator:

AC Tech, AMS Gesellachaft, DMB, Drechlerei Muller, Polartherm, Trillenberg

German Companies

Edited by The_sandlapper

USC is courting Siemens, the German electronics and automotive conglomerate, as a private-sector tenant in Innovista. Recently, USC, Siemens, and Beaufort-based XRDi officials met to discuss formalizing a research partnership to build and test a prototype diesel engine that runs on hydrogen fuel instead of petroleum. In 5-8 years, the partners expect to develop an engine for commercial use.

I didn't recognize this post earlier but Columbia is already Siemens north american diesel feul HQ.

Does anyone know where some renderings of the completed campus could be found?

The initial phase will be presented to City Council on November 9th at 10:00 (City Hall). There should be plenty of cool pictures, plans, and drawings. They are going through detailed review and hope to start construction in early 2006.

Innovista's developer, Craig Davis, said that he hopes to have the first private tenant announced by January 1, or even sooner. He stated that he and USC have been working with a couple of tenants, one described as "pretty substantial."

Davis has stated that he is ready to begin construction on two buildings, the one located at the Horizon Center, the alternative energy and engineering-research block bounded by Assembly, Blossom, Main and Wheat streets, and the other on Foundation Square, the biomedical block bounded by Lincoln, Greene, Park and College streets. The first-phase buildings go before the city

• 2 weeks later...

The Innovista is already starting to flex its economic muscle for the region and the state. Three construction companies from outside the state have been selected to oversee construction of Phase I of Innovista.

Phase I includes:

The Horizon Center Block bounded by Blossom, Main, Wheat and Assembly streets.

Watson Tate Savory Architects of Columbia is designing the USC research building. Jenkins Peer Architects of Charlotte is designing the private partner building. The Boudreaux Group of Columbia is designing the parking deck.

The Biomedical Block, bounded by College, Park, Greene and Lincoln streets.

Jenkins Peer will design both the USC and private partner building. The LPA Group of Columbia will design the parking deck.

The Public Health Block, bounded by Pendleton, Assembly, College and Park streets.

Little Diversified Architectural Consulting of Charlotte will design a USC research building.

Each of the five firms is working with its own team of subconsultants to design each project. Those subconsultants represent the bulk of the work for local firms.

Some of the local firms, such as landscape architects Grimball-Cotterill & Associates of Columbia, are on more than one team.

Economic impact:

912 construction jobs with a $41 million payroll.

$94.3 million in additional economic impact from construction and related job creation.

More than $5.8 million in new state income taxes.

More than $2.6 million in new state sales taxes.

Phase I will create 1,900 jobs with an annual payroll of about 130 million,. More than 6,500 jobs will be created by programs in the building, with an annual impact of $232 million.

The district will eventually cover 5 million square feet of research labs, office space, mixed-use retail and housing.

I can't wait to see it all unfold the city will never be the same after! :thumbsup:Innovista