Innovista

Spartan

For a little more context: http://columbiabusin...novista-project

Honestly I'm surprised that Richland County is performing the first phase of the work considering it benefits USC exclusively and is more of an aesthetic project. I'm happy that the school does not have to find the funding for the transformation, but it makes me wonder how much control the penny board really has over the process. I really hope they hit or beat the 2019 target for the bridge- that will be huge for connectivity.

How unexpectedly topical: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article21052002.html

I doubt they will find much, other than maybe some questionable connections. I hadn't seen the breakdown of spending before though. If greenways are included in the 8% figure and sidewalks and bike lanes are also scheduled to be built. will there be enough funding for the riverfront park south of Gervais? I see it on the list, but I wonder if there will be a lot of political pressure to hold off until the surrounding area is more populated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where’s downtown Columbia’s waterfront?

In most cities located on bodies of water, locals can aim visitors straight to the waterfront district. Not here. At least not yet.

But that could change in the next decade. Much as a rugged warehouse district crossed by frequent train traffic has grown into the vibrant Vista district between Assembly and Huger streets over the past two decades, the next transformation seems headed for the wild strip of land between Huger Street and the Congaree River.

City political and business leaders are counting on it.

They envision a showpiece waterfront park about twice as big as Finlay Park, ringed by shops, restaurants and apartments in a new Waterfront District. The park would be downtown’s new front porch, where people can sit or stroll with friends amid the beauty of a river and its natural green landscape.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article22004907.html

Where’s downtown Columbia’s waterfront?

In most cities located on bodies of water, locals can aim visitors straight to the waterfront district. Not here. At least not yet.

But that could change in the next decade. Much as a rugged warehouse district crossed by frequent train traffic has grown into the vibrant Vista district between Assembly and Huger streets over the past two decades, the next transformation seems headed for the wild strip of land between Huger Street and the Congaree River.

City political and business leaders are counting on it.

They envision a showpiece waterfront park about twice as big as Finlay Park, ringed by shops, restaurants and apartments in a new Waterfront District. The park would be downtown’s new front porch, where people can sit or stroll with friends amid the beauty of a river and its natural green landscape.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article22004907.html

That's potentially huge. Especially if the system of parks they keep talking about can happen. 

It's interesting that the Sasaki Plan was not well received. I hadn't heard any outright criticism of it, especially from city leadership. With SCANA building pedestrian bridges and the city cutting back on the number of structures, the project may become more feasible.

I went to a public input planning session at the Convention Center a few months back, and I can assure you, the city planners consult the Sasaki plan daily. I specifically asked about it, and their eyes lit up! I like the plan, personally, although it is a plan, and there will be some modifications done here and there.That park is going to be the crown jewel of the city one day. 

It's interesting that the Sasaki Plan was not well received. I hadn't heard any outright criticism of it, especially from city leadership. With SCANA building pedestrian bridges and the city cutting back on the number of structures, the project may become more feasible.

Wait pedestrian Bridges? are you talking about the ones from the strom thurmond fitness center or more are in the plans for this project. I know the city is kinda feniky about Pedestrian bridges over roadways. 

Wait pedestrian Bridges? are you talking about the ones from the strom thurmond fitness center or more are in the plans for this project. I know the city is kinda feniky about Pedestrian bridges over roadways. 

I think he may be referring to the bridges mentioned in the article that will be constructed on the future park property. They will doing some environmental cleaning up.

That said, do you think the opposition is isolated to Bob Guild? The article made it sound like local leaders universally panned the look and feel of the Sasaki Plan's park.

I'm not sure. I know the plan, as a whole, is widely regarded by city planners as the benchmark for future development. However, I am unsure to what degree the Waterfront Park part of the plan, has been met with dislike. 

I think he may be referring to the bridges mentioned in the article that will be constructed on the future park property. They will doing some environmental cleaning up.

I'm not sure. I know the plan, as a whole, is widely regarded by city planners as the benchmark for future development. However, I am unsure to what degree the Waterfront Park part of the plan, has been met with dislike. 

Ah ok

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

650 Lincoln, looks like Barberitos and a coffee shop will be part of the retail spaces.

2727AC4D-B807-4722-8BA9-28EAC8D7532C_zps

161CC591-D0EF-4EAF-8B7D-9BB097D56E30_zps

AB4FDD57-E713-43A9-BCBF-A41961F4536D_zps

0847674C-316C-4D34-AAAD-B9010E7B8AFD_zps

8C8FA8E0-0944-4540-ABF5-5ADAC39350A9_zps

Was just looking at this last picture, and thought how nice it would be if the power lines disappeared in this area. On a completely different note, I read today that a new signal is being installed at Trenholm and Forest. I'd love to see all the lights on strings go away.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Some new video showing the interior of the Palmetto Compress. 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article47102445.html

That building has a lot of character, and I like that it is not being marketed to college students. I could see myself downsizing and living there one day. It will be in the vortex of a lot of energy and activity, particularly if the Riverfront Park comes to pass. Either something like this or Shandon. I'm a 44 year old, life long Columbian, and it would be a dream to live near the action. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2015 at 6:37 AM, victory said:

Anyone know how the work on Foundation Square is coming along?

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.2a11d7c525186d11f51b2

From discovery garage - not much to see yet but they are doing some concrete work on this corner.

I'm impressed with how quickly the 2nd phase of 650 Lincoln (top left) is moving along considering the other crew somehow hasn't managed to finish re-paving one block of Greene Street in 9 months and counting.

28 minutes ago, TKJones said:

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.2a11d7c525186d11f51b2

From discovery garage - not much to see yet but they are doing some concrete work on this corner.

I'm impressed with how quickly the 2nd phase of 650 Lincoln (top left) is moving along considering the other crew somehow hasn't managed to finish re-paving one block of Greene Street in 9 months and counting.

Is that portion of Greene Street delayed because of phase 2 of 650 Lincoln? My impression was that they were holding off on paving until all the construction down the block was finished.

21 minutes ago, carolinagarnet said:

Is that portion of Greene Street delayed because of phase 2 of 650 Lincoln? My impression was that they were holding off on paving until all the construction down the block was finished.

Maybe so. All I know is that they originally planned to finish up by the end of the summer since it's right in front of the Moore School entrance. Either way, looks like it's almost done which will be a huge improvement for walking/driving through the area.

6 hours ago, TKJones said:

Maybe so. All I know is that they originally planned to finish up by the end of the summer since it's right in front of the Moore School entrance. Either way, looks like it's almost done which will be a huge improvement for walking/driving through the area.

I appreciate the photo. That's a great vantage point. I can envision it!

• Like 1