New Worlds Tallest Building located in Dubai

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there goes the new World Trade Center being the tallest building in the world. that building is suppose to be 1,776 feet tall. But this 2,000 foot tower is an amazing engineering feat! Thats almost HALF A MILE HIGH! They wont be satisfied until they reach a mile high skyscraper I suppose. But as amazing is this sounds, we still cant top the engineering feat the ancients did in Egypt. I'm refering the Great Pyramids. We can build half a mile high buildings but we dont know how to duplicate what the Egyptians did. The Egyptian could build those great pyramids but they couldn't build half a mile high building. If we could combine that engineering knowledge, think of what could be accomplished.

I can't believe they're building this! What a ride this would be to the top!! 8-)

PS, I remember watching or hearing some time back about a solar building project out in the middle of nowhere in Australia. Did this project fall through? Wasn't it supposed to be in upwards of a mile high?

I know Frank Lloyd Wright had proposed a mile high skyscraper that looks very similar to this design. But obviously they's have to be thinking about terrorism, especially where this building will be located.

Here is Frank Lloyd Wright's Mile high building which he designed in 1956. This would be a 528 story tower. Even today the design is very futuristic. This is more than double the height of the Burj Dubai tower proposal. But Burj Dubai will include the world's largest shopping mall.

248_Mile_High_Pic_jpeg.jpg

The 2nd diagram initially posted by monsoon has the world already calling it to be the world's largest sundial.

it's amazing but it doesn't seem possible! How many stories?

It has already commenced contstuction and will eventualy be 160-storeys.

I remember watching or hearing some time back about a solar building project out in the middle of nowhere in Australia.

It frustrates me that this country in the Middle East will build something like this and we spend so much time bickering over the WTC which even though the spire might reach 1776ft, it wont actually be even close to being that high in terms of occupiablility.

It frustrates me that the most prosperous country in the world can't get a project like this accomplished anymore, and some tiny countries that most people haven't even heard of can bulid these things with seemingly little problems. (Malaysia, UAE)

LOL Neo. It's hardly in the middle of nowhere in Australia. It's in the State of New South Wales on the outskirsts of a rural town known as Buronga and will be 3280ft/1000m which is the equivalent of 1 kilometre tall. As current plans go, it's going to ahead in the next few years. It will be a solar tower...

Ah, my bad! 8-) I was just trying to remember this from something I saw on it on the Discovery Channel some time ago...it's probably been a couple of years maybe. That's one monster!! Be great if they put an observation deck on the top! :blink:

It frustrates me that the most prosperous country in the world can't get a project like this accomplished anymore, and some tiny countries that most people haven't even heard of can bulid these things with seemingly little problems. (Malaysia, UAE)

After this, I doubt there will be many people left who haven't heard of dubai. Is there any sort of limit to what the people in Dubai can do?? I mean, the number of "world's largest, world's greatest" projects is bordering on ridiculous.

DavePaulK. That one is very Metropolis (the film). Kind of early 20th Century in its rendering. Nice!!

Different style (obviously) to the SOM one that you posted darkknight - so modern and slick. I like how the terra-firma is represented.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gulf News from 21/09/04: Burj to boost Dubai: Mohammed bin Rashid

by Dalal Abu Ghazaleh

Dubai : General Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence, said the Dh10 billion Burj Dubai project due to be completed in about three years was highly feasible, and that the new landmark would set the emirate firmly into positioning itself as a major international business and tourism hub.

"Such a project must be feasible," he told journalists last evening as he toured the Burj Dubai site. "It is a public shareholder company, and the investors are savvy enough to realise the potential of this project."

He noted the project is attracting considerable investor interest.

Shaikh Mohammad said as he witnessed the pouring of cement for the Burj Dubai, that he valued the vision of President His Highness Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan in supporting projects that would keep the country's eyes fixed on future prosperity for its citizens and residents alike.

"We have accomplished only 10 per cent of the projects we intend to accomplish," he added.

Mohammad Alabbar, chairman of Emaar Properties, which is building the project, said Burj Dubai, which will be the world's tallest building, will include the tower, a huge shopping mall and a Heritage City.

"The tower and the mall will cost more than Dh7 billion, and the Heritage City more than Dh2 billion."

He said that a feasibility study projected an annualised 15 per cent rate of return on total investment. Alabbar revealed there was high demand from international and local business leaders for the prime property which will be built in central Dubai.

Demand is particularly heavy from Europe and East Asia. "At present, the tower is designed to be around 800 metres tall, but we can always push that up to 950 metres," he noted.

He said 50 per cent of the project will be offered to international firms, while the balance will be marketed locally. "The architecture is given to DP Company from Singapore," he added.

Alabbar said this was a momentous day for Dubai. "With its scale and magnitude, the Burj Dubai is set to change the face of the city forever. For Emaar, it represents the next stage of growth, and will be the base for our developments that will follow."

The pouring of the cement for Burj Dubai yesterday ends the first phase of the construction and marks the beginning of the next defining stage that will see the structure begin to rise over the Dubai skyline.

Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) are the architects and Turner International, the project and construction managers.

950m ??? Thats tripple the size of Burj-Al-Arab Hotel. For anyone who has been in the bar up there - its scary high already!!

Edited by Emir of Ketir

• 2 months later...