New Worlds Tallest Building located in Dubai

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

Im Really impressed by these people's developments in building construction.They are like mating rabbits.(you know what I mean)

The asians and middle eastern people are kicking our butt.i think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's almost an understatement, Asia is doing much better than other areas, but they will get some competition from Europe in 2010...

• 3 weeks later...

Cityboi wrote: ...The Egyptian could build those great pyramids but they couldn't build half a mile high building. If we could combine that engineering knowledge, think of what could be accomplished. 

As a newbie - Hello :)

Cityboi you got me thinking of where (fictional) on where I had seen mile high pyramids.

If you think back to the 1982 movie 'Blade Runner' staring Harrison Ford, the Tyrell Corporation were housed in mile high pyramids :)

Yeah I'd like to see one built :w00t:

snap059092.jpg

sorry guys the pics didnt work, but here is the link, where i posted them

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/darkblueboss/Burj.html 

enjoy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me for asking but I'm a tall black man. Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I were to take a vacation to Dubai? Also how much are air and hotel packages? If anyone knows let me know thanks.

Excuse me for asking but I'm a tall black man.  Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I were to take a vacation to Dubai?  Also how much are air and hotel packages?  If anyone knows let me know thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no u would not stick out, no one sticks out in dubai, unless u have something growing out off ur a$$ , or a third eye, then u might stick out,

dubai, is a cool place to visit,

but best time to visit is between Novemeber and May, the other months are just too damn hot,

hotels range between 70$ and can go up to 7000$ a night, depends on how much u wanna spend,

try to talk to ur travel agent, or contact an emirates airline office in ur country/ city, then can giv eyou a nice package , (which usually includes airfare and hotel accomodations)

resturants can range between $2 a meal upto $300 a meal, depends where u go, and how much u wanna spend, its a city for all,

good luck for now

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My friend has booked his house on the 49th floor or something i think they move in 2007.

Apprently they raise the price per floor by 25,00 dirahms which is almost 3 and half thousand pounds by 70th floor or something another 2 and half million more. (correct me if my stats are totally wrong).

Will try to scan the broucher looks cool.

• 5 weeks later...

It frustrates me that this country in the Middle East will build something like this and we spend so much time bickering over the WTC which even though the spire might reach 1776ft, it wont actually be even close to being that high in terms of occupiablility.

It frustrates me that the most prosperous country in the world can't get a project like this accomplished anymore, and some tiny countries that most people haven't even heard of can bulid these things with seemingly little problems. (Malaysia, UAE)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where to begin with this...

"It frustrates me that this country in the Middle East..."

- would it frustrate you less or not at all if it were being built in Asia?

"It frustrates me that the most prosperous country..."

Most prosperous? What does this mean exactly? The best quality of life? The largest population? The highest food and health standards? The most expensive currency? Most advanced technology? The best foreign ties and policies? The most thriving economy? The most freedom? Lowest unemployment? Smallest child death percentage? The highest GDP? The longest life expectancy? Least pollution? Least religious fanaticism? Best life for families? Least political corruption and oppression? Racial and gender equality? -- By these measurable standards (mostly) the United States isn't... not even close based NATO's or the UN's studies... Actually, I apologize... the one exception is a facet or two of the technology industry and military might. The United States has the most prosperous military in the world.

"...can't get a project like this accomplished anymore..."

Not true. The United States has waged 3 wars in 2 countries on the opposite side of the globe lasting for almost 4 years. Very costly, financially and otherwise. I would say there is great risk involved with endorsing and enduring such an endeavor... wouldn't you?

"...some tiny countries that most people haven't even heard of..."

Not true. Dubai, as tourist attraction and financial trading hub, is all the rage in India, China and the UK... and that's almost half the population of the planet. One should try to understand that the Western Nation's (barely 1/6 of the world's population) popular media (dominated by the U.S.) rarely sensationalizes anything positive out of the region as it conflicts with wartime propaganda. (Remember, the U.A.E is a peaceful, thriving monarchy (dictatorship) which borders the mouth of The Gulf, and is only a few hundred miles from Iraq.)

Please, do not believe that I'm attacking your statement as being ignorant. The simple fact that I can write several paragraphs pertaining to two sentences, might shed light on how misinformed your statements are, and I personally don't consider myself particularly well informed or educated on the matter.

--

I would like to ask the opinion of the readers here... Personally, I find it humorous and humbling that developers such as Nakheel (The Palm, The World, Al Burj) and Emaar (The Burj Dubai, Dubai Marina, The Dubai Mall), don't compete with the rest of the world for the bragging rights to such iconic developments... they just compete with each other. I must admit, I've been to a number of forums discussing Dubai's developments, and I would like to know why so many posts of disbelief, even contempt, are coming from Americans... I must admit as a Canadian I find this confusing.

Please post your thoughts on why this may be.

Greg.

Captain Obvious,

Thank you for your response. I must admit, I do enjoy playing "the devil's advocate", and I honestly do the same in defense The United States when arguing such things with others... hey... The United States is the reason Canada doesn't even need a military budget.

To be honest, I had never heard of Noam Chomsky. Having read about him, I guess I should also thank you for such a flattering comparison. The man has degrees from more than 20 universities all across America and over a dozen international awards. However, could you please elaborate on the Che Guevara comparison, I don't see the connection to my comments based on what I've been able to read on him so far.

If you are as fan of subtle contempt, please refer to post # 39, 41, 42, 44, and 45 in this thread alone, and you might see where I'm coming from. Similar views (exclusively American) are displayed in forums on skyscraperpage.com and skyscrapercity.com. Going back to what I had originally posted, could you please offer any insight into WHY negative feedback is coming from United States citizens.

Thank you.

Greg

Ps. Make no mistake, The United States is one of the greatest countries in the world.

"With a great empire there is a greater downfall"

Thats what i think will happen to Dubai. Why because so many projects at once is just a disaster waiting to happen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does that apply to the US as well, cause apparently its supposed to be the greatest empire of all... :alc:

PeninsulaKiddo...

Hmm....

Ingorant?

In 2003, during reconstruction, Moscow's Ostankino Tower's new pinnacle raised its height to 577.44 metres (1894 ft), making it once again the tallest free-standing structure on land in the world (It was the tallest for a decade back in the 60's).

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo

I have an actually relevant question---does anyone know the tenant mix of retail at Dubai Mall or the office tenants at the Burj Dubai?  Residential tenants will be easy to find, but office may be harder?  When does the point of project-oversaturation occur?  Also I saw something on a new section to downtown with 64 million s/f of commercial!?  Wow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PeninsulaKiddo...

The 64 million sq.ft. commercial development you referring to is called Businessbay (www.businessbay.ae). It's not only a commercial development but also has a massive residential development as well. It will be an extention of the existing Dubai Creek, will add miles upon miles of waterfront real-estate, and will give owners a close view of the Burj Dubai. In fact, it is set to become the leading finance, business and trading hub for the region, paralleling Manhattan in New York, or Ginza in Tokyo.

If you receive any of the promotional material from these developers (brochures, sales manuals, etc.), one important note to make is that all measurements, units, and quantities therein are "approximate", and "are subject to change by the developer without notice". So in addition to it already being a secretive project, which is generally released to public in "phases", I wouldn't trust any exact figures you catch wind of. I guess part of the reason is so Emaar can maintain a certain flexibility with investors as the market matures.

PeninsulaKiddo...

Quote me on what I said which leads you to believe I'm "attacking" or "generalizing" an entire nation. Both the United States and Canada are both so diverse in every respect, that no-one can justifiably categorize any aspect of our culture... I deal with Americans everyday... we're the same people... almost the same nation. I was however, inquiring into the posts (#'s 9,39,41,42,44) of 5 people, who just happen to be from the US. People are sharing their views from every region of the world in this forum. If these 5 disgruntled posts had came exclusively from people in Mexico, I would post the same question regarding them. I am also in favor of perpetuating a line of thought some might consider "inane and immature" than perpetuating ignorance... that which was definitely displayed by Spartan. Perhaps you would be more well-adjusted to the question if it were phrased: "Why are North Americans posting negative feedback on Dubai's vision, specifically in this thread, about the Burj Dubai? Please post your thoughts..." I thought questioning the motives of the critics of the Burj Dubai would be relevant to this forum. I'm sorry you don't agree.

Greg

PeninsulaKiddo...

The 64 million sq.ft. commercial development you referring to is called Businessbay (www.businessbay.ae).  It's not only a commercial development but also has a massive residential development as well.  It will be an extention of the existing Dubai Creek, will add miles upon miles of waterfront real-estate, and will give owners a close view of the Burj Dubai. In fact, it is set to become the leading finance, business and trading hub for the region, paralleling Manhattan in New York, or Ginza in Tokyo.

If you receive any of the promotional material from these developers (brochures, sales manuals, etc.), one important note to make is that all measurements, units, and quantities therein are "approximate", and "are subject to change by the developer without notice".  So in addition to it already being a secretive project, which is generally released to public in "phases", I wouldn't trust any exact figures you catch wind of.  I guess part of the reason is so Emaar can maintain a certain flexibility with investors as the market matures.

PeninsulaKiddo...

Quote me on what I said which leads you to believe I'm "attacking" or "generalizing" an entire nation.  Both the United States and Canada are both so diverse in every respect, that no-one can justifiably categorize any aspect of our culture... I deal with Americans everyday... we're the same people... almost the same nation.  I was however, inquiring into the posts (#'s 9,39,41,42,44) of 5 people, who just happen to be from the US.  People are sharing their views from every region of the world in this forum. If these 5 disgruntled posts had came exclusively from people in Mexico, I would post the same question regarding them.  I am also in favor of perpetuating a line of thought some might consider "inane and immature" than perpetuating ignorance... that which was definitely displayed by Spartan.  Perhaps you would be more well-adjusted to the question if it were phrased: "Why are North Americans posting negative feedback on Dubai's vision, specifically in this thread, about the Burj Dubai? Please post your thoughts..." I thought questioning the motives of the critics of the Burj Dubai would be relevant to this forum.  I'm sorry you don't agree.

Greg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Questioning the motives of critics is loosely related, but a slight stretch. I think we can both agree that ignorance is abound and by no means an indigenous characteristic of any nation. I think it was the wording you used that irked me, but now I understand what you mean and agree and also wonder the same question... as a North American I am rather glad to see that no longer is the US and Canada the sole regions that are proponents of high-rise architecture and given the economic climate of the UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Dubai, I'm not surprised any.

As far as Businessbay, wow. I kind of hope that the 64 million s/f figure goes down because so much concentrated development of a similar type will not be good for the market---albeit an underutilized one. I hope that all these "megaprojects" are spaced out because I wish to see them come to fruition and not be stalled indefinitely due to oversaturation of the market.

PeninsulaKiddo...

The 64 million sq.ft. commercial development you referring to is called Businessbay (www.businessbay.ae).  It's not only a commercial development but also has a massive residential development as well.  It will be an extention of the existing Dubai Creek, will add miles upon miles of waterfront real-estate, and will give owners a close view of the Burj Dubai. In fact, it is set to become the leading finance, business and trading hub for the region, paralleling Manhattan in New York, or Ginza in Tokyo.

If you receive any of the promotional material from these developers (brochures, sales manuals, etc.), one important note to make is that all measurements, units, and quantities therein are "approximate", and "are subject to change by the developer without notice".  So in addition to it already being a secretive project, which is generally released to public in "phases", I wouldn't trust any exact figures you catch wind of.  I guess part of the reason is so Emaar can maintain a certain flexibility with investors as the market matures.

PeninsulaKiddo...

Quote me on what I said which leads you to believe I'm "attacking" or "generalizing" an entire nation.  Both the United States and Canada are both so diverse in every respect, that no-one can justifiably categorize any aspect of our culture... I deal with Americans everyday... we're the same people... almost the same nation.  I was however, inquiring into the posts (#'s 9,39,41,42,44) of 5 people, who just happen to be from the US.  People are sharing their views from every region of the world in this forum. If these 5 disgruntled posts had came exclusively from people in Mexico, I would post the same question regarding them.  I am also in favor of perpetuating a line of thought some might consider "inane and immature" than perpetuating ignorance... that which was definitely displayed by Spartan.  Perhaps you would be more well-adjusted to the question if it were phrased: "Why are North Americans posting negative feedback on Dubai's vision, specifically in this thread, about the Burj Dubai? Please post your thoughts..." I thought questioning the motives of the critics of the Burj Dubai would be relevant to this forum.  I'm sorry you don't agree.

Greg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Questioning the motives of critics is loosely related, but a slight stretch. I think we can both agree that ignorance is abound and by no means an indigenous characteristic of any nation. I think it was the wording you used that irked me, but now I understand what you mean and agree and also wonder the same question... as a North American I am rather glad to see that no longer is the US and Canada the sole regions that are proponents of high-rise architecture and given the economic climate of the UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Dubai, I'm not surprised any.

As far as Businessbay, wow. I kind of hope that the 64 million s/f figure goes down because so much concentrated development of a similar type will not be good for the market---albeit an underutilized one. I hope that all these "megaprojects" are spaced out because I wish to see them come to fruition and not be stalled indefinitely due to oversaturation of the market.