New Worlds Tallest Building located in Dubai

Excuse me for asking but I'm a tall black man.  Would I stick out like a sore thumb if I were to take a vacation to Dubai?  Also how much are air and hotel packages?  If anyone knows let me know thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dubai is an arab country. Many arabs are very dark skinned, almost black if you didn't know they were arab. Plus arabs aren't short like asians.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but Dubai and many other Asia cities are pulling ahead of USA in their buildings because they are willing to risk building it and our construction companies arent its sad too hear but some day we wont be the best country in the world

USA will always be on top,(sorry if I sound too-american) no one else has the natural resources we do. Our dirt across the mid to northern section of the country looks like it is soaked in oil because its so fertile. We have almost every metal there is available in the rockies. We have lots of land, coal, technology, free market society, tourism, lots of trees, very little desert area, efficient freight lines with the great lakes, mississippi river and its tributaries. Oh, and vegas!

The only way we would fall below any other country would be a collapse in the government, or something like an explosion of the volcano under yellowstone... but that would eventually affect every country in the world.

Penninsulakiddo and Gregfisher--

I rather like the arguments. Both are equally strong arguments.

But there's a lesson to be learned: You don't become the best by striving to be the best. You become the best by striving to be average. Minnesota is as average as you get in this country: 20th on Population and 20th on population growth, no landmark buildings really, no humongous cities, no mountain ranges (although we do have a large hill range called hte Sawtooth mountains)...

The plainness of our landscape has instilled a feeling of plainness in our people. Like Garrison Keillor said.. there just isn't enough hilltops for the rich to live on top of.. so they have to live with everyone else.. but that's beside the point.

You aren't going to prove that the United States is the best country in the world by spitting out material statistics.. neither will you disprove it.

Rather, I think it's important to remember that we have the longest freestanding democracy of any country in the world. The document that our country is built around was written in 1783 for God's sake. I think that says enough right there.

Of course htere's always room for improvement in our education, health care, military, humanitarian efforts, and quality of life. But down somewhere at the bottom of it all, the foundations of this country have remained strong and intact for 222 years, a feat unprecidented in world history.

The French weren't far behind. Their revolution occured soon after ours. Their government has also remained intact (save a little occupation during WW2), which is why the French deserve a bit more respect. I don't think two countries respect democracy more, when it comes down too it, than the Americans and the French. After all, the British still have a queen to fall back on, and the Canadians still pledge allegience to her. (Vive la Quebecois!) :) not to incite a riot.

No offense to Canada. I've been there several times, and I interact with Canadians every day (I'm only 90 miles from the border)... besides not turning on red, speaking in a funny little accent, thinking that 30 degrees is painfully hot, and invariably driving mini-vans with toppers full of camping equipment, you'd never know they weren't American.

I encourage everyone to visit the peace gardens in North Dakota. They are a strong and powerful reminder that the U.S and Canada will always remain friends.

In regards to this forum: I rather love how portions of the middle east and asia are embracing the future with their cities. Personally, I'm a history buff and would like to preserve that which we have.. but more power to them. Their futures are bright.

Edited by Snowguy716

"Why don't you believe it? I understand that you wouldn't want to... your from the United States... who wants to believe their country is the most "arrogant and ignorant"?"

In my original post I admitted that America can collectively be arrogant and ignorant---being from a small southern town (which opens me up to criticisms, I'm sure) I know that first-hand.  Maybe I don't think all Canadians are particularly more-arrogant than those Americans I see around me waving confederate flags... maybe just one is.  And that's the Canadian that is further perpetuating this inane and immature line of thought on this site who acts holier-than-thou when he has no right to be and generalizes an entire nation (just a thought).  If you know all 280 million or so of us, then criticize away.  If not, keep your innappropriate and off-topic comments to yourself so lines of talk such as this don't pop up again.

"You're right though...  back to topic at hand... Why are Americans posting negative feedback on Dubai's vision, specifically in this thread, about the Burj Dubai? (still haven't had any insights.)  Please post your thoughts..."

With all due respect (and then some) that isn't the topic of this thread---it's the Burj Dubai itself, not some Canadian's crusade.  Post thoughts on the building, its future, its stats and dimensions and the entire project revolving around the tower and not the past 7 or 8 posts which have been, sadly to say, unrelated.

Concluding, I say that perhaps Spartan's choice of words warranted a response, but not an all-out attack using one person's words as a measure of all Americans.

I have an actually relevant question---does anyone know the tenant mix of retail at Dubai Mall or the office tenants at the Burj Dubai?  Residential tenants will be easy to find, but office may be harder?  When does the point of project-oversaturation occur?  Also I saw something on a new section to downtown with 64 million s/f of commercial!?  Wow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

USA will always be on top,(sorry if I sound too-american) no one else has the natural resources we do.  Our dirt across the mid to northern section of the country looks like it is soaked in oil because its so fertile.  We have almost every metal there is available in the rockies.  We have lots of land, coal, technology, free market society, tourism, lots of trees, very little desert area, efficient freight lines with the great lakes, mississippi river and its tributaries.  Oh, and vegas!

The only way we would fall below any other country would be a collapse in the government, or something like an explosion of the volcano under yellowstone... but that would eventually affect every country in the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that documentary/movie on the Discovery Channel about the Yellowstone Calderra. Besides the deplorable cinematography and the oddly placed Americans with British accents, the reality of it all was very scary! But if that thing were to blow, it wouldn't be a question of whether America was on top.. but a drastic reduction in human population as we set into volcanic winter for a period of years.

Even the relatively small volcanic eruption of PInatubo (1000 times smaller in terms of SO2 emissions), brought record cold temperatures to the northern U.S in 1992 and 1993 destroying crops and flooding large portions of the country.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After reading some of this topic maybe I see why this forum has died off a bit. Didn't realize talking about the height of buildings would cause such heated debate. All I've got to say is that hopefully everyone can keep an open mind and appreciate what's being built in Dubai without prejustice.