New Worlds Tallest Building located in Dubai

Yea it seems that construction is going very smoothly indeed. It'll be interesting to see whether Emaar Properties will announce the final floor count before completion or whether they will keep investors and others speculating until the last minute...and then of course, theres Al Burj, which by all accounts seems to wanna upstage the grandeur and magnitude of Burj Dubai. I heard that the appartement spots that were up for sale in Burj Dubai were sold within 8 hours of opening the floor for bids...can anyone substantiate this?

I heard that they did sell pretty fast, and that the floor count was somewhere around 160.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there no concern for a terrorist attack on this tall building?

I imagine American businesses, residents, and celebrities will occupy this building on a daily basis. Has safety ever been discussed by the developer?

Is that what you assume with this project?

The UAE is a lot safer than most people think, there's plenty of other towers being constructed in the UAE and the Mid-East for that matter that could be targeted for a terrorist attack. Any building right now could be targeted.

The UAE is a lot safer than most people think, there's plenty of other towers being constructed in the UAE and the Mid-East for that matter that could be targeted for a terrorist attack. Any building right now could be targeted.

I'm not sure if he was asking because of Dubai's geographic location or ethnicity but more to the point that the World Trade Center in New York City was one of the tallest buildings in the world and after it was destroyed by terrorist attack they were planning to rebuild it as the tallest building in the world but New York City said no and now they're building a much smaller building. So no matter where it's being built a building of this magnitude may seem like a prime target for terrorist attack.

I think terror is a very natural and legitimate concern in this day and age. I've wondered about this myself. Considering how readily UAE is embracing "The West" and inviting in so much foreign influence, you've gotta wonder if nutjobs like Bin Laden aren't getting a little miffed and taking note, God forbid anything would ever happen.

I'm wondering what considerations are being taken into account for all of these projects; are these buildings being engineered for massive strikes like what we saw on 9/11, or is the concern not there/not necessary? Another poster was wondering about the stability of the ground. Me too. I'm sure they've figured this out and it's pretty safe, but what about seismic considerations? To what standards are they being built? I would hope they are very high, but with all of this stuff going up so quickly, people like me (who are not experts) pause and wonder....

My main concern would be that if there isn't a solid foundation of bedrock that the building is being built on and that could limit it's life expectancy. If the sand shifts even a millimeter per year that would be enough to pose a problem. And since that is something that wouldn't have been tested for since it would take several years for the sand to shift a full inch. I'm no geological scientist or anything but i know that sand is not solid and is constantly moving.

I hadn't thought of that problem, but I wonder if the developers and engineers made the foundation extra safe for events like that, along with earthquakes and such.

Technology has advanced a little bit since the Leaning Tower of Pisa was built. I couldn't imagine the family living on the 160th floor having breakfast on their balcony and the daughter says "mommy the ocean is rising".

Technology has advanced a little bit since the Leaning Tower of Pisa was built. I couldn't imagine the family living on the 160th floor having breakfast on their balcony and the daughter says "mommy the ocean is rising".

It probably won't be a family living on the 160th floor but some old rich dude. :lol:

Nice pic Malec, it looks like they are on floor 40 or so.

I think terror is a very natural and legitimate concern in this day and age. I've wondered about this myself. Considering how readily UAE is embracing "The West" and inviting in so much foreign influence, you've gotta wonder if nutjobs like Bin Laden aren't getting a little miffed and taking note, God forbid anything would ever happen.

I'm wondering what considerations are being taken into account for all of these projects; are these buildings being engineered for massive strikes like what we saw on 9/11, or is the concern not there/not necessary? Another poster was wondering about the stability of the ground. Me too. I'm sure they've figured this out and it's pretty safe, but what about seismic considerations? To what standards are they being built? I would hope they are very high, but with all of this stuff going up so quickly, people like me (who are not experts) pause and wonder....

Hey guys! I decided to drift out of my own territory on UP to check out Dubai and its happenings. Real quick I want to let everyone know that I'm from Norfolk, VA USA and we too seem to have our own little rise in construction for towers (though nowhere near Dubai's level of construction) including some that have decided to go out of the norm in terms of design such as a residential and medical twin tower project that has been designed to look like a ship. Anyways, I've been trying to keep an ear on Dubai and in fact I have family members working there. One of my cousins is the general manager of a luxury hotel in Dubai and he recently visited me and my parents and he filled me in on the some of the major projects such as Burj and just the insane ideas that are actually coming to fruitation. With that said, I just wanted to quickly put my 2 cents in about what I heard in terms of security and terrorism for Dubai and it's towers. I read an author's article in a magazine recently about his experience to Dubai and he touched on the terrorist/safety issue of Dubai. I'm not sure if he's correct but he mentioned that Dubai's banks and system is key to many terrorist countries and groups including Al Qaeda. Due to the level privacy provided by the banking system, Dubai tends to be the "financial center" of some of these organizations in which this is where they deposit their money. On a mostly unrelated note, Dubai has virtually dropped all imigration laws according to my cousin during his visit here. For how long he doesn't know but it shows that Dubai is determined to welcome everyone and for them to enjoy or be satisfied with Dubai, one way or another.

With that said, I just wanted to quickly put my 2 cents in about what I heard in terms of security and terrorism for Dubai and it's towers. I read an author's article in a magazine recently about his experience to Dubai and he touched on the terrorist/safety issue of Dubai. I'm not sure if he's correct but he mentioned that Dubai's banks and system is key to many terrorist countries and groups including Al Qaeda. Due to the level privacy provided by the banking system, Dubai tends to be the "financial center" of some of these organizations in which this is where they deposit their money.

Yes, I heard too that some of the 9/11 funding went through either UAE or Dubai banks. I can't confirm this as fact. Sorry though, I don't want to take us too far away from the original topic at hand...

Edited by dpbaker

^

Dubai has opened it's doors to International Investments. Not to mention, it is quickly becoming a tourist town because of it's great weather and proximity to the Gulf. Dubai is also in the center of the Mid-East and in the center of Europe and Asia, making it a good port city by land, air, as well as Sea, since Dubai has always been a port city.

I believe oil plays a part in this as well. I've heard of the Saudi's investing lots of money into these projects. They're sitting pretty what with record high oil prices.

In a sense every time we fill up we're contributing in a small and indirect way to financing these mega projects. You didn't think that $2.50/gallon was all going to the oil companies, did you? unsure.gif

I believe oil plays a part in this as well. I've heard of the Saudi's investing lots of money into these projects. They're sitting pretty what with record high oil prices.

In a sense every time we fill up we're contributing in a small and indirect way to financing these mega projects. You didn't think that $2.50/gallon was all going to the oil companies, did you? unsure.gif

For the Millionth time, Dubai is not reliant on Oil, it is an Emirate that only relies 5% of it's GDP on Oil, some of the other Emirates in the UAE are almost completly reliant on oil.

Yes, I heard too that some of the 9/11 funding went through either UAE or Dubai banks. I can't confirm this as fact. Sorry though, I don't want to take us too far away from the original topic at hand...

Well now it seems to be fact and public (which could be good or bad for Dubai) since the talk of the U.S. is to stop a UAE company from doing business in our ports since its homeland was the financial base of terrorism. In end I hope this doesn't set Dubai back much (if any) because I do want to see all these crazy proposals and projects become reality.