New Worlds Tallest Building located in Dubai

Is that what you assume with this project?

The UAE is a lot safer than most people think, there's plenty of other towers being constructed in the UAE and the Mid-East for that matter that could be targeted for a terrorist attack. Any building right now could be targeted.

I assume that no place will be safe. Dubai could become the next NYC someday, and the irculture could become hated today as our is right now. So, is terrorism a public concern at all?

And with UAE being safer than most people think... I think most people would agree that pre 9-11, we all felt pretty safe here, and look what happened. Not to mention London. The only reason most places are considered safe is because no one terrorist group has tried to attack those specific areas. I highly doubt any place will ever be safe. Maybe UAE is safe from Al Qaeda, but there are probably thousands of group out there who have different motives... one of them may be seeking out to destroy any middle eastern progress type of to become more like a western hemisphere city. I think it is something valid to worry about. I'm just curious how the public in Dubai feels and how safe this building is if anything ever did happen.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first you need to get your information correct. The Executive office of the Presidency were the people to come up with the idea for the ports situation. Due to the fact that it was developed in the beauracracy, it is very probable that Bush only heard of the bill in passing and never really thought about it. Since the EOP is part of Mr. Bush's beauracracy, he has to take the blame for bad decisions made on his part.

-But, I dont really think this is the best place to be discussing the politics of UAE/USA relations, maybe another thread would work out nicely. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:shok: I don't understand this city. How can they be building all of this at the same time? Is there a need for all of the construction at once, or are they just gambling with trillions of dollars? I am seriously perplexed. Has mankind ever just built an enourmous city in the middle of the desert, just in case people want to move there? Forgive me if im mistaken, I don't know population figures of the area, but it looks like it was previously a small spreadout city. :shok:

Actually, a glance through a few of these threads will show you that there are virtually hundreds of new highrises being constructed simultaneously. Check out the first photo in the Dubai Photo of the Day thread - jaw-dropping. :thumbsup:

Estimates are now around a thousand or so from what I've been hearing.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an amazing thread

I can't believe the sleek beauty of this buiding, its incredible

What shocks me most is that nothing even remotely as attractive is this or the rest of the Dubai skyline is being designed here in the US

I would love to see some of the buildings in Miami or Orlando

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all.

Thx mcheiss. The inner core is at level 80 - approx half way with the concrete portion of the tower - steel continues up from there. Here is a nice shot ( from Imre ) showing the podium columns ...

2moaxb5.jpg

and one with some interesting numbers...

43wpky1.jpg

The last columns for the podium wings are 92 meters from the center of the tower !!! :shok:

:D

• 1 month later...

Where do they get their water for all this? Do they desalinization plants? Considering that most of hte city is built right up along the coast, that would provide an infinite water source in the desert.

I also wonder how much of an impact all this new green development (as in trees, water, etc.) will affect the local climate. If you look at cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix, you will see a dramatic rise in night time temperatures, most likely as the area becomes more humid.