From the lakeshore to the city

Rizzo

What do you folks think about expanding transit to connect the city and lake shore? It seems that the lake shore leaders and citizens are taking a larger role in making this reality. According to the Grand Haven Trib, there's a committee that will study the need for linking the region with buses. What about expanding existing Amtrak services to more than once per day to allow a commuting link between Holland and Downtown?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you folks think about expanding transit to connect the city and lake shore? It seems that the lake shore leaders and citizens are taking a larger role in making this reality. According to the Grand Haven Trib, there's a committee that will study the need for linking the region with buses. What about expanding existing Amtrak services to more than once per day to allow a commuting link between Holland and Downtown?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm all for it. I would like to see a three or four county transit authority including Muskegon, Kent, Ottawa, and Allegan. Ideally, the interurban rail service between Muskegon and Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids and Holland, and Holland and Muskegon would be reestablished and coordinated with the existing bus services in each county. That way a worker could take the train to Holland and the bus to his employer all on one pass. These types of integrated transportation systems work in other communities and it could work here. The closer we get to $4.00 per gallon of gasoline we get, the more economic sense this will make.

Thanks for the update Rizzo. I really hope this regional bus system happens and if it's successful that's more argument in support of starting regional rail service again.

So Larry, when will there be a resolution of support from Muskegon?

Well I think a website would spur interest if people are informed that the site exists. I mean people like you will go out and look for it but you already have a huge interest in this, and people like me will probably find about it from you and people like you, but I have an interest in it too. I just hope the general population that doesn't follow transit news is somehow informed, perhaps with a newspaper article.

Actually, a lot of stuff comes to me. I disseminate to you guys and then blog it.

The Tribune and Sentinel will pick up on this, maybe the Chronicle also. Just wait until more Ottawa county municipalities pass resolutions of support for this study in the coming weeks. I haven't seen much from the Press on this subject. It's kind of surprising since they came out in support through editorials, even going as far as backing light rail some years ago.

Right now, this project is in its infancy so very little of it will stick in the minds of the general public. I admit this stuff is a little obscure, especially the proposal and information available. When this committee comes back with a formal study and a plan then you will see more public participation.

Archived