The Lenawee

hood

THis building is to be built on the site of the former YMCA, I'm very impressed. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but that didn't stop CBRE from putting out renderings and info on it.

Basic info:

180,000 sq ft

12 floors

4 floor, 750 space parking garage (building sits on top of it)

LEED certified

Track on roof

Mid 2010 completion

xy_F1BA07BF-9138-42C3-A7D5-485E5AF3A467__.jpg

27097Lenaweedaytonight.gif

TheLenaweesiteplan.jpg

TheLenawee2.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May I offer a dissenting view? I think that this building looks like a filing cabinet. Sort of retro, but without the great detailing that you see on Deco buildings. The curtain wall seems to me very pedestrian. I don't mean to harp, but Lansing has some great buildings downtown. Growing up in GR, I would have traded our ugly McKay Tower for Lansing's great Olds (now Boji) Tower in a heartbeat.

Most buildings built today that nod back to Deco don't have the level of detail the deco's did. That's why it's called postmodern. Not a big fan, myself, but I wouldn't think anyone should be expecting deco-level detail in an architectural style that defines itself by being a cheap knock-off of the original thing.

I must have missed that. The McKay Tower is easily one of my favorite buildings in the state. It's unique in having been vertically extended into a high-rise. Sure, they could have bothered to do a bit more with the top of the structure, but other than that that is one great-looking tower that I wish we had in Lansing. Art Deco certainly isn't everything, at quite frankly, after awhile they all start to look the same.

I also don't understand the dislike for McKay some have. Boji will always be special to me because I used to look at it out of my dorm window while laying in bed, but I would actually expect most people to like McKay better.

As for this building I think the the rendering looks great. It looks strong and while not as detailed as many older buildings it also isn't just another plain looking glass box.

I must have missed that. The McKay Tower is easily one of my favorite buildings in the state. It's unique in having been vertically extended into a high-rise. Sure, they could have bothered to do a bit more with the top of the structure, but other than that that is one great-looking tower that I wish we had in Lansing. Art Deco certainly isn't everything, at quite frankly, after awhile they all start to look the same.

I don't like it either, but the whole point of post-modernism is that it's a cheap knock-off of the original thing. I'm just not sure what else one should expect when they know what gets built, these days. It needs to be judged for what it is (i.e. post-modern), because, if one's going to try and pair up a post-modern design with an original Art Deco, then the latter wins every single time. If one doesn't like post-modern, that's fine. I really don't like the vast majority of it, myself, but I'm not going to stack up a knock-off next to the original thing just to bash the knock-off.

I don't like it either, but the whole point of post-modernism is that it's a cheap knock-off of the original thing. I'm just not sure what else one should expect when they know what gets built, these days. It needs to be judged for what it is (i.e. post-modern), because, if one's going to try and pair up a post-modern design with an original Art Deco, then the latter wins every single time. If one doesn't like post-modern, that's fine. I really don't like the vast majority of it, myself, but I'm not going to stack up a knock-off next to the original thing just to bash the knock-off.

Archived