Videos of Charlotte

Atlside

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok it might seems standard today, but how in the world did he/she make a movie that good in 1986. I mean cameras were huge (even in the 90s) and he/she was still driving very good. If I would drive around 2008 like that I would have one accident after another. So great work was also the year I was born, acutally the exact month I was born.

One of the more interesting parts of that video is the drive into town on Independence Blvd between Eastway Drive and I-277. This was back before it was converted to a freeway and all of the businesses and houses that were stripped away for that project are still there. Most noteworthy, if you look closely you can see the old style Krispy Kreme at what was the intersection of Hawthorn and Independence. It will be on the left side of the road. A KFC is on the other side. The last time I remember this area looking like this was during a huge protest march that I went to against Bush Sr and Jessie Helms that took place there around 1990. It shutdown the road for a while. It wasn't long after that when the NCDOT started the freeway conversion.

That was cool. I saw a Datsun have'nt seen one of those in a while. It is nice seeing the maturation of the city. I wonder how that same video will look in 2018. One thing that stuck out in my mind was the Belk. I think most seasoned people remember those days of having one in their downtown area.

I love that! How cool to see Brodt's Music and the former Auto Werks site near the old intersection with Pecan and then around the curve and up over the RR tracks, only to curve once again and catch that once-familiar view of the Krispy Kreme on the left at Hawthorne. I ate many a doughnut from that store. I saw those views a thousand times over the years but had almost forgotten some of the details, like where you ended up when you took what is now the John Belk Freeway exit at the split with Brookshire. I'm trying to figure out what street the driver's on that crosses over the "valley" where you can see John Belk under construction when he pans and shoots out of his window.

Oh and I loved hearing the WBCY jingle on the radio! For those of you who can't remember that far back or didn't live here (or weren't even born then), what is now 107.9 The Link used to be WBCY.

Thanks for the flashback!

• 1 month later...

Archived