Nashville Metro Area Interstate Highways

titanhog

Since a great deal of us use the interstate system around Nashville to get to work or home, I thought I'd start a thread for some dialogue on what's good about our highways and how we can improve what's bad.

First...I agree we need more mass transit...but that's for another thread.

My first thought is how outdated the inner loop around downtown is. If I'm driving I-40/24 coming from the Donelson area and go past truckers curve taking I-40 on the south loop, it's crazy to watch traffic almost come to a dead stand-still because cars coming from I-24 are trying to get over to the left to take I-65 and cars on I-40 are trying to move over to the right to stay on 40!

I've been here 15 years and they've never made an improvement there.

In most major cities, they build ramps and elevated highways so that traffic on intersecting interstate highways don't have to stop and ask to get over. It's maddening!

Also...we really need to speed up the widening of I-65 from HWY 96 in Williamson County down to Hwy 840.

Lastly...I think the ramps and elevated roadway at White Bridge Road and I-40 are GREAT...we just need more of that, especially on the downtown loop.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need to resurface I65 starting at the I24 interchange on the north side, all the way to downtown. Possibly starting earlier than that on I65.

Also the interchange I65/I24 north of downtown is pretty tight... i can't believe I24, coming inbound, merges down to 1 lane as you get on I65.

I agree about the downtown interchanges.. they're kinda crazy. Another one that bothers me at times is trying to get onto I40 eastbound, from the Demonbreun entrance/exit... and I guess Broadway/Church too for that matter. You have to cross, very quickly, all the way over the I65 traffic.

How bout this: If you're coming off of 2nd AVe/4th ave on I-40 on the south loop and trying to get over to the far leftt to hit I-24 and go past LP Field? That's the craziest thing I've ever seen. You'll be going east on I-40 over by the science museum and all of a sudden you'll see someone shooting up the ramp on your far right and then they have about a football field's length to get over about 4 lanes to make the I-24 entrance. I can't believe there hasn't been more people killed in that area.

How bout this: If you're coming off of 2nd AVe/4th ave on I-40 on the south loop and trying to get over to the far leftt to hit I-24 and go past LP Field? That's the craziest thing I've ever seen. You'll be going east on I-40 over by the science museum and all of a sudden you'll see someone shooting up the ramp on your far right and then they have about a football field's length to get over about 4 lanes to make the I-24 entrance. I can't believe there hasn't been more people killed in that area.

This crosses over into the fanciful, but I have often wondered if 440 could be covered (essentially making a tunnel) around West End and Hillsboro Pike. If buildings could be constructed on top this would create space in a very desireable area. Maybe the sale of the property could pay for the work? Something similar has been done in Arlington, Virginia, right across Key Bridge from DC.

This crosses over into the fanciful, but I have often wondered if 440 could be covered (essentially making a tunnel) around West End and Hillsboro Pike. If buildings could be constructed on top this would create space in a very desireable area. Maybe the sale of the property could pay for the work? Something similar has been done in Arlington, Virginia, right across Key Bridge from DC.

As has been said before, the I-24/I-65 interchange on the north side is awful. Its bad enough that I-24 inbound from Clarksville is two lanes to begin with, but merging down to 1 lane before the interchange? It's pretty remarkable that it has been that way for so long.

As has been said before, the I-24/I-65 interchange on the north side is awful. Its bad enough that I-24 inbound from Clarksville is two lanes to begin with, but merging down to 1 lane before the interchange? It's pretty remarkable that it has been that way for so long.

• 1 month later...

No road project should even be discussed until somebody does something about I-24, all the way from the downtown loop to Bell Road, and truly to the new Rocky Fork interchange.

Everything else just pales in comparison.

1. The I-24/I-40 corridor between the loop and the I-24/I-40 split past Fesslers, should just be completely redone. That highway should be 12 lanes and the Fesslers interchange should be redone.

2. The 24/40/440/Murfreesboro Road bob and weave may be safer now than it used to be, but it could still use a lane of outbound traffic.

3. Starting Southward at OHB, that extended ramp going up Cane Ridge should be the fifth lane of traffic.

4. This lane should extend all the way into the 24/40 junction, and a sixth lane of traffic should begin at the Bell Road interchange and go all the way to Briley Pkwy.

Bell Road causes morning traffic to back up all the way to the proposed Rocky Fork interchange 9 miles South.......this just has to be done. I challenge any of you to get on the freeway at Almaville Road on a misty morning about 7:00 AM and see how much fun you're missing!

No road project should even be discussed until somebody does something about I-24, all the way from the downtown loop to Bell Road, and truly to the new Rocky Fork interchange.

Everything else just pales in comparison.

1. The I-24/I-40 corridor between the loop and the I-24/I-40 split past Fesslers, should just be completely redone. That highway should be 12 lanes and the Fesslers interchange should be redone.

2. The 24/40/440/Murfreesboro Road bob and weave may be safer now than it used to be, but it could still use a lane of outbound traffic.

3. Starting Southward at OHB, that extended ramp going up Cane Ridge should be the fifth lane of traffic.

4. This lane should extend all the way into the 24/40 junction, and a sixth lane of traffic should begin at the Bell Road interchange and go all the way to Briley Pkwy.

Bell Road causes morning traffic to back up all the way to the proposed Rocky Fork interchange 9 miles South.......this just has to be done. I challenge any of you to get on the freeway at Almaville Road on a misty morning about 7:00 AM and see how much fun you're missing!

The thing is.. all of this could change if we had better mass transit... i know this thread is not supposed to be about mass transit..

I agree that there will still be some needed improvements to roads for a safer/better ride... but really... will we need all these crazy lane expansions and new interstate exits and etc. if a decent percentage of people agree to ride a train/bus to work?

The thing is.. all of this could change if we had better mass transit... i know this thread is not supposed to be about mass transit..

I agree that there will still be some needed improvements to roads for a safer/better ride... but really... will we need all these crazy lane expansions and new interstate exits and etc. if a decent percentage of people agree to ride a train/bus to work?

Other than NYC, where in the US does a decent amount of people use mass transit? I know LA doesn't. I doubt Atlanta does. I hear Portland has a good transit program, but is it enough to really help traffic there? (by the way, these are serious questions)

Here is a link from wikipedia with cities in the U.S. whose population uses the most mass transit options. Mass transit is always a better alternative than congested highways, excessive pollution, and is 100 percent DUI/DWI safe (well if the bus drivers remain sober). Feasible in Nashville? Absolutely. You don't have to look too far to see people are catching on. Just look at Chattanooga's electric bus system or the solid ridership from Murfreesboro's transit system. Major cities such as Chicago and Washington D.C. have a really good mass transit system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._...ansit_ridership

while i agree that 24 westbound needs major improvements from Bell Rd. inbound( i live in S.E. Nash), there is no arguing the 24E/65S stretch is the most dangerous. While it is comparable in congestion to the 24/40 stretch, it is in much worse shape. It's one thing to have to switch across 4 lanes at high speeds in a mile stretch, but it's another challenge to have to preform this maneuver, while also dodging potholes, with your cars suspension bouncing at max articulation!

there is no arguing the 24E/65S stretch is the most dangerous. While it is comparable in congestion to the 24/40 stretch, it is in much worse shape. It's one thing to have to switch across 4 lanes at high speeds in a mile stretch, but it's another challenge to have to preform this maneuver, while also dodging potholes, with your cars suspension bouncing at max articulation!

Archived