Tagging, Graffiti, & General Desecration

Avocado

I went for a stroll downtown this evening and was sad to see a number of instances of public and private property spoiled by spray-painting enthusiasts.

In the past I have been willing to look past tagging on abandoned properties, but it has spread to occupied and for-sale buildings. Is there anything the general public can do to discourage this kind of activity?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can handle areas that can be painted over or parts of our property slated for demo, but we've had two taggers climb an adjacent building and paint the brick, both in blue and the most recent incident in red. quote]

New tag appeared overnight on your building. These idiots seem to compete with each other.

I did see the new tagging this morning. Infuriating to say the least. I spoke with Officer Goetjes about this, and he said that there was, unfortunately, very little they could do. They haven't had much luck catching taggers in the act, and the few that have been caught have never done time or had much in the way of serious legal repurcutions. Evidence of this was kid to tagged the war memorial. We did come up with some novel approaches to deal with the taggers; I'll be trying them week.

I've spoken with the law office next to our building about possible causes and solutions to our problem. I thought people were climbing their fence fronting Wealthy St. and then scaling the building, but it appears there had been a latter in the backyard kept against their building to fix a leaky roof. Extremely frustrating to hear this but nonetheless they've agreed to keep it inside when not in use.

Belden Brick has a product to remove graffiti from brick that I'll get this week and apply by the weekend. I'm sure it won't be the end of this, but I can only hope that more development along Wealthy St. will only reduce some of these occurences.

I did see the new tagging this morning. Infuriating to say the least. I spoke with Officer Goetjes about this, and he said that there was, unfortunately, very little they could do. They haven't had much luck catching taggers in the act, and the few that have been caught have never done time or had much in the way of serious legal repurcutions. Evidence of this was kid to tagged the war memorial. We did come up with some novel approaches to deal with the taggers; I'll be trying them week.

I've spoken with the law office next to our building about possible causes and solutions to our problem. I thought people were climbing their fence fronting Wealthy St. and then scaling the building, but it appears there had been a latter in the backyard kept against their building to fix a leaky roof. Extremely frustrating to hear this but nonetheless they've agreed to keep it inside when not in use.

Belden Brick has a product to remove graffiti from brick that I'll get this week and apply by the weekend. I'm sure it won't be the end of this, but I can only hope that more development along Wealthy St. will only reduce some of these occurences.

• 4 months later...

Apparently I did miss it. o_o

On the subject of vandalism (but not graffiti) somebody last week thought it would be funny to dump a bunch of industrial soap into the fountain in Ah-Nab-Awen park. The fountain was down last weekend, hopefully it'll be operational soon (if not already, haven't been by there since Saturday.)

Anybody else notice that a good portion of the electric boxes (don't know what else to call them) in Uptown have been tagged to look like cassette tapes? Not condoning it, but I laughed at the randomness the first time I saw it...

It makes me think about the potential of approved graffiti/art on these electric boxes, fire hydrants, etc.

Anybody else notice that a good portion of the electric boxes (don't know what else to call them) in Uptown have been tagged to look like cassette tapes? Not condoning it, but I laughed at the randomness the first time I saw it...

It makes me think about the potential of approved graffiti/art on these electric boxes, fire hydrants, etc.

Archived