RDV buys Charley's Crab site

mgreven

I'd like to advance the idea that in the unlikely event that there is something real behind this, perhaps the project is better served NOT being dragged under a microscope on UP prior to the developers going public with it.

The fact the the images were removed as soon as they were publically posted could be seen as evidence of this.

If this is real, we'll have plenty of time to chatter on like kids on Christmas Eve once something is announced.

I know that's contrary to the spirit of this forum, but sometimes loose lips can sink ships...and no one benefits from that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is pretty amazing then that UP can command such power. I don't doubt that GR developers check up on this forum to gauge opinions on their projects now and then, but to scrap a project because of speculation on this site? Not sure about that one. Also, the fact that WZZM (I think) wanted to highlight this site on one of their broadcasts is a statement of that growing influence. Not to inflate any of our egos here or anything. :tough:

What a joke! Any project that can't take the pre project UP level of vetting shouldn't have made it to the crappy sketch-up rendering phase. If the images were sensitive they shouldn't have been posted on his web site in the first place. If Visbeen didn't know they were sensitive then someone's not sharing properly.

Don't fall for it.

Tell me I'm wrong, but you'd think there would be some kind of confidentiality from the very start. I doubt Visbeen would risk breaking an agreement with such an important client just to add it to an online portfolio.

I find it weird how the renderings were taken down immediately. Taking it down within such a short time only fuels speculation. A simple disclaimer would have been appropriate.

I like this design, but also don't think it will get built within the next 5-10 years with this economy, especially if there is a lot of residental included.

I like this design, but also don't think it will get built within the next 5-10 years with this economy, especially if there is a lot of residental included.

Tell me I'm wrong, but you'd think there would be some kind of confidentiality from the very start. I doubt Visbeen would risk breaking an agreement with such an important client just to add it to an online portfolio.

I find it weird how the renderings were taken down immediately. Taking it down within such a short time only fuels speculation. A simple disclaimer would have been appropriate.

In my mind it was taken down, because as stated before this was a conceptual drawing, using a highly talked about corner of downtown property. Someone was showing design potential. There is nothing to suggest otherwise. There are rumblings here and there, and we here in our enthusiasm tend to take these things and blow them up more then they should be, certainly more than the originators of a project would have intended. It has happened more than once where UPGR gets lit up for a couple days / weeks / months, over something that a.doesn't end up happening, or b. was never going to happen to begin with. I think we should all excersize a little more discretion when things that can be proven only to be speculative, come into play.

this just in. the probability of this project getting done went up substantially after the Great Britian court ruled that alticore can resume sales and no fines or restrictions would be levyed, opening the europian market. I spoke with mayor Heartwell not to long ago and he mentioned that a coorporate headquarters was key to getting light rail, and was pressuring all the Big Boys to relocate Downtown. I know this is hard to beleive but Grand Rapids is about to blow up! the new cutural and economic center of michigan.

Chris Knape checked it all out for us and it's what we all probably figured deep down was the truth. There were a couple other cool renderings he posted for us to see, even though the Market and Fulton ones are gone now. I have to say I really like Visbeen's high rise stuff, I always thought of him as "big house" architect guy. Maybe he'll get to see one of his high-rise ideas get built here someday.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/

Chris Knape checked it all out for us and it's what we all probably figured deep down was the truth. There were a couple other cool renderings he posted for us to see, even though the Market and Fulton ones are gone now. I have to say I really like Visbeen's high rise stuff, I always thought of him as "big house" architect guy. Maybe he'll get to see one of his high-rise ideas get built here someday.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/

from Knape...

"Wayne told me he has clients in China and wanted to show them some of the larger scale work his firm is capable of."

"He's hoping Urban Planet will pull them down, too, since he never granted permission to reprint the renderings."

Hey, welcome to the Internet buddy. Welcome to the 21st Century. If you want your clients to see them, use e-mail. Furthermore, the internet isn't print media, and its not as if someone was claiming to have done the work rather than him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any rights violations here.

I have to say I really like Visbeen's high rise stuff, I always thought of him as "big house" architect guy. Maybe he'll get to see one of his high-rise ideas get built here someday.

Archived