La Vie

dan326

I meant to make this a long time ago.

"LA Vie is a new Traditional Urban Design community located on O'Neal Lane at I-12 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This 1000 acre master planned community, designed by the renowned urban architect Steve Oubre, will showcase a 650,000 square foot lifestyle retail center, 670 single family homes, hotel accommodations, apartment rentals, and movie production studios. Studio LA Vie will be the home of Red Stick Studio Development."

v1yf3.jpg

v2vc2.jpg

v3tn1.jpg

v4sx6.jpg

v5fd6.jpg

v6qz5.jpg

v7hv6.jpg

v8zf1.jpg

v6vx5.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need more than one entrance on O'Neal, but at the same time, I hope that they can get the interstate exit shown in the renderings set up. That might negate the drawbacks of only one interconnecting street. In fact, that one North-South street combined with the interstate Exit might limit the impact on O'Neal.

Let's hope that they can incorporate this exit into the new widening of I-12.

I can't really tell, but I think there is another connection made to the subdivision west of the development and one to the south. I guess we'll know more soon.

They desperately need another entrance, and I sure wouldn't buy a home in that development if I had to fight the shopping center traffic, the Wal Mart, and the Rave.

On the positive side, it looks like this might be the 3rd Mall in the Baton Rouge area (4th if you count Town Center) if this gets started before Juban Crossing. I really like the lakes and the conservation area to the east of the development and to the west of the river. I'd hope they can create more green space and put more trees along the interstate and what not.

If the city/parish can't collect enough fees to widen O'Neal between the Wal Mart and I-12, then they are stupid. It's an entire mall and at least 150 residences.

It looks like one of the entrances splits into "two" behind the Wal-Mart; and the other on O'Neal. The aerial rendering (third pic) looks like they hope to have an I-12 exit. That would be a "must" for a development this massive. They need to hurry and widen O'Neal like they did Millerville Rd. Traffic is already bad enough.

The CanalWalk inside the village looks cool! Interesting street grid configuration. I am glad they left the nature preserve for the floodplain.

At this past weeks BR Trends meeting it was said there is now a glut (over built?) of new condo's in the area. Could this also be possible with more future retail as well??

I think the latest census figures are misleading. If for example, BR(EBR) gained 30,000 people between 05-06 after Katrina; but then lost 1/2 that 15,000 between 06-07...is this what they are refering to??

Thanks for this starting this thread Dan. Woder when/if this ever gets built??

At this past weeks BR Trends meeting it was said there is now a glut (over built?) of new condo's in the area. Could this also be possible with more future retail as well??

I think the latest census figures are misleading. If for example, BR(EBR) gained 30,000 people between 05-06 after Katrina; but then lost 1/2 that 15,000 between 06-07...is this what they are refering to??

Thanks for this starting this thread Dan. Woder when/if this ever gets built??

-New Condo and apartments being built over the last 10 years.

-LSU requires all if it's 8,000 freshman to stay on campus now (new dorms, too)

-Most of the New Orleans people have returned home, so that blip in demand is over.

-LSU requires all if it's 8,000 freshman to stay on campus now (new dorms, too)

Are you sure? I was planning on going to LSU, but I do not want to stay on campus :sick: :sick:. Do the apartments surrounding LSU count as "on campus".

Are you sure? I was planning on going to LSU, but I do not want to stay on campus :sick::sick: . Do the apartments surrounding LSU count as "on campus".

Like most other universities, LSU has followed suit, and next year, all freshman will be required to live on campus. Surprisingly though, LSU says that 90% of all freshman live on campus anyway, so requiring that extra ten percent to live on campus also, really doesn't make that much of a difference. Especially since 10 percent of the freshman class can get around the requirement, if they live with their parents near the university(baton rouge area), or have a medical reason. But sorry Dan, living in an apartment near campus doesn't count.

BTW. living on campus isn't bad, i would never ever do it again, but i enjoyed my one year as a freshman living on campus, and met a lot of really good Friends i wouldn't have met otherwise. Also, you'll hate the dining hall when you live on campus, but when you move off campus, you will miss it, its just so convenient! Lil. But I wouldn't let the residency requirement deter you from going to LSU. They have been remodeling all the dorms, also.

Thanks for the insight. Luckily, I will be living with my parents and it only takes about 15 minutes to get there, so no dorms for me. -_- phew :) I guess I'm so adimate because I like the idea of being able to escape from your peers after school is over. Do all the dorms rooms require multiple occupants (room mates)?

Are you sure? I was planning on going to LSU, but I do not want to stay on campus :sick::sick: . Do the apartments surrounding LSU count as "on campus".

No, but you do live in town. I was ready to get the hell out of my parents house at that age. I'd get the dorm and go home when I needed money or good food. Resident parking isn't easy, though.

And good luck getting into the on campus apartments as a Freshman. There is a long list to get in and they are not cheap.

I see Kirby Smith, McVoy, Herget, or a greek house in your future. Sorry. If you make good grades and declare a business major then you might get into the nicer dorms. If you are an athlete on scholarship then they'll put you at the North Campus Apartments.

Tips about living on campus at LSU:

-don't bring fancy TVs or game consoles, because everyone will use it.

-don't drive a fancy car (I had a Cavalier with 150,000 miles on it....so I didn't care when my roommate burned out my clutch or when a drunk date threw up on the hood- it was also easy to park).

-bring a mini fridge....a college guy cannot have too much refrigerated space. You have to hide the beer when the RA is around, but salt water and ice will cool a beer really quick.

-make friends with as many people as possible...they come in handy when you are bored on the weekends or if you need to borrow some notes or something.

-get season tickets to football. If you don't want them, you can figure out a way to sell them.

-learn to have a since of humor and lose all shame and you will have a blast.

-having a best friend as a roommate is not always the best idea....sometimes it benefits having someone new and different around.

-get an on campus job where all the cute girls work. OCS is not this place...but some on-campus employers are stocked like a trout pond.

Living on campus is under-rated. I lived my freshman year in Kirby Smith (elevator was always busy, but it has the best cafeteria), and McVoy Hall (I recommend this one if you can request). It was co-ed when I was there, and you can stack the beds into a bunk for extra space. The benefit of Kirby Smith is that it's walking distance to Gatti's (you won't be going to Chimes until your junior year probably) and the bars at the North gates- but the girl/guy ratio is much favorable in the McVoy/Herget hall area. That was more important to me at the time, and I'm sure it will be to you. I've also spent a lot of time in Herget because my GF lived there at the time. The girls have nicer dorms, but their rooms are tiny.

It was more difficult to study when you are off campus because you don't have everyone around you crunching for finals. I also had more fun and a better social life when I was in the dorms. The dorms will get old after a year or two- even when you do move out I recommend staying within walking distance of campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Tom Cook: Red Stick Studios moves forward

R.W. Day's movie studio/mixed-use development off Interstate 12 is moving forward by disposing of non-essential properties. Robert Day sold a single-family residence that had been acquired on Harrells Ferry Road for $883,500 to Paul Danos. The 5,000-square-foot residence, which sold for $176.70 per square foot, is on the south side of Harrells Ferry Road between Runnels and White Oak Landing. Day indicated this piece was no longer necessary for his overall plan for Red Stick Studios, so he disposed of the property.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to re-think this plan.

I'd rather them remove the retail space out and go with a mostly residential development. Especially considering the lack fo site access, and the fact that the developer will probably not foot the bill for the necessary interstate on-ramp.

Baton Rouge needs to ease on the sales taxes in favor of more property taxes (I know...nearly impossible to get it passed!), so we won't have so many planning deviations and zoning variances for the sake of more retail space.

There's also no need for so much more crap on Millerville road. There's already a Target there. Thats' enough. The golf course would be perfect for higher income housing.

Agreed cajun! I am suprised this thing may still even happen; and if it does?? Only a fraction (maybe 1/2) of the original plan(much like the developer did with his Southgate Towers that's still not completed). As is.... a new interchange with frontage roads would be a necessity! O'Neal would not be able to handle the extra traffic.

I would still hope they can somehow implement the canal-like waterway with water taxi's.

Yeah Millerville Greens is still on hold?? Or has it fallen completely thru?? Like you cajun; I think some-more luxury 3-story condo's would do better in the golf course (like across I-12 w/ Lakeside Villas & Regency); maybe even a mini-TND with small pocket-park town square-like complete with fountains; it could compliment the other half of the golf course(Fairwood) is about to finish the rest of the single-family lots in Lakes at Stonebridge.

I think the BR East retail market is nearly saturated for now; guess that could still change in the future??

• 2 months later...

Maybe this thread should be re-named "Red Stick Studios"??? This sure sounds impressive! Is this really going to happen?? Production offices to open at Southgate Towers in November? I can see the massive La Vie campus having the movie-end on the south-side; but the lifestyle center with the massive residential??? That may be a long while from now....

Red Stick Studios: Entertainment for everyone

Red Stick Studios, the newest proposed entertainment facility in the Baton Rouge area, is looking to increase Louisiana

• 10 months later...

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

studio+graphic+011510.jpg

"Studio gets preliminary OK

Red Stick seeks $265 million in bonds to develop projects

A film studio project that would be Louisiana’s largest movie facility has won preliminary approval for $265 million in bonds.

The Louisiana Public Facilities Authority board gave preliminary approval to the Red Stick Studio Development LLC project this week, the first approval in a four-step process, said Martin Walke, the LPFA’s vice president of economic development.

Still to come are preliminary approval from the state Bond Commission, final LPFA approval and a final OK from the state Bond Commission, a schedule that could be completed in the next few months, Walke said."

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/81636067.html

• 3 years later...

Well I guess this is the sad ending to what would have been an extrodinary great project for BR. I just hope somebody can pick up the pieces and start over

Any ideas as to what might go here now or what yall would like to see happen?

Council moving toward dissolving La Vie district

The city-parish is taking steps to dissolve the economic development district it created in 2008 for R.W. Day’s planned mixed-use development off O’Neal Lane and to take the roughly $1 million in sales tax revenue it has been holding in escrow.

The money will go into the city-parish’s general fund.

The Metro Council’s Finance and Executive Committee on Wednesday recommended for approval an ordinance to abolish the La Vie Economic Development District. The district was created to allow the La Vie development to use any additional sales tax revenue above a baseline established the year before to issue bonds or fund public infrastructure for the project.

The proposed $1.6 billion project, which was to be anchored by a $655 million film studio and include residential, office and retail development on 955 acres, foundered when Day fought and lost a legal dispute with the state. Day was counting on getting $266 million in tax credits but was told by the Louisiana Supreme Court in January 2011 that he wasn’t entitled to that much.

Day did not return calls for comment Friday and was not at the committee meeting earlier this week, though he was notified via certified mail that the conditions of the agreement had not been met and that it would be nullified.

His attorney told The Advocate after the court decision two years ago that Day was still devoted to the project but would have to overhaul the financing in light of the decision.

The full council will take up district dissolution at its Wednesday meeting, and $988,000 in revenue would be remitted to the general fund. The district was bounded to the west by O’Neal Lane and the east by the Amite River, and to the south by South Harrell’s Ferry Road and the north by the first street north of Interstate 12, according to Marsha Hanlon, city-parish finance director.

The district, also known as a tax increment financing, or TIF, district, does not include the Wal-Mart and several other O’Neal Lane businesses.

The project was first announced in April 2007 and plans called for the movie studio, a film production training facility, 875 single-family homes, 650 multi-family units and 3 million square feet of commercial space.

Advocate reporter Rebekah Allen contributed to this report.

http://theadvocate.com/news/4953826-123/council-moving-toward-dissolving-la

Really liked the original concept with the Canal Walk going thru the Lifestyle Center....but was not a fan of the location behind the Hospital/Wal-Mart....would have been hard to see them shredding up all of the woods in the Amite River watershed (shown in Post #1) ....

The 2nd plan; just the movie studio's would have been cool too....good question on what might now go there instead; bordering St.Jean Vianney to the east....wish i had been old enough to know what was really going on when they were being built in the early 90's?...despite strong/widespread opposition...the Section 8 Housing was allowed anyway.

Archived