walking around the city Friday night

beerbeer

In town for the Huskies spring game at the Rent.

Stayed at the Marriott which was very full as there were a couple of conventions, one was religious, the other was an archery competition. The hotel was very active. had a drink at the bar and met people from Missouri, California and Canada.

Had a steak at Morton's (about 70+% filled). Walked past Dish and City Steam which were both at least half filled past JoJo's, lots of folks out on Pratt. The Russell was packed with folks inside and out. Had a drink at Mayor Mikes. There was room at the bar but a good number of patrons. Black-eyed Sally was packed.

I went by Blu and the Brickyard which is now called something else. They looked like they were getting ready for something with lots of security and great looking women in revealing black dresses. The Tavern across the street was very full.

Headed back to the hotel and The Irish bar at Trumbull and Asylum was full as well as the Japanese place near Main, which was overflowing.\\\

If these places were close together like a Mulberry Street or a strip in any of a dozen cities, then folks would think that Hartford is hoppin'. But because they are spread all over the city, you don't get the full effect of so much night life.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met some Canadians on Thursday night that were in town for the Wolf Pack/Pirates game. They were approx. 15% of the crowd (kidding, kidding...). The city was packed Thursday too, despite a paltry 1600 at the hockey game. If the Whalers were playing, and had a bad crowd, it would have been 9k. Nuff said.

I met some Canadians on Thursday night that were in town for the Wolf Pack/Pirates game. They were approx. 15% of the crowd (kidding, kidding...). The city was packed Thursday too, despite a paltry 1600 at the hockey game. If the Whalers were playing, and had a bad crowd, it would have been 9k. Nuff said.

Well like I said in the Cirque thread I was amazed how packed downtown was at 6 on a Saturday last weekend.

This weekend my wife and I had 9 guests so we took them to comedy at Brew Ha-ha, and city steam was its usual busy place. Dish looked busy as usual too next door. And this is the first time I have hung out on the patio (at night) at City Steam since Sage Allen opened and was impressed with the people activity on Temple. I am not even sure if Roscoe's or the Chinese place were open, but there were tons of people walking about. Afterwards (11pm) we went to Vaughan's next. While we were there the crowds picked up and the crowd outside of Sweet Jane's swelled from 20 people to well over 40 by 12:30 or so. The Russell had a decent crowd, but seemed much quieter than I have seen it. They had their windows all closed and the outside chairs were put up. I am sure if they were out it would have been busier, but I bet the loud music from Sweet Jane's hurts the live soft Jazz.

Anyhoo, the girls ended up dancing for a bit at Jane's, and then we went home.

All in All, the couple we had up from new haven was impressed, the couple from Norwich was impressed, and the couple from Saratoga NY was impressed.

We never went over by the clubs.

If they build the new arena and you can walk Allyn Street to Pratt, the whole scene would double. It's just a pain in the ass to walk around the civic center.

Archived