New transmission tower on Paris Mountain?

linkerjpatrick

On the way to church this morning I looked at Paris Mountain and it seemed different that the last time I looked at it (only a few days ago). What caught my eyes was the section with the towers. Their appears to be a new one over twice as tall as the other ones at the tower cluster. Is this new or have I just not noticed it before? If new could it be related to Digital TV or 3G, etc? Or is their a new radio or TV station with a stronger range or older one extending their signal?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the way to church this morning I looked at Paris Mountain and it seemed different that the last time I looked at it (only a few days ago). What caught my eyes was the section with the towers. Their appears to be a new one over twice as tall as the other ones at the tower cluster. Is this new or have I just not noticed it before? If new could it be related to Digital TV or 3G, etc? Or is their a new radio or TV station with a stronger range or older one extending their signal?

I can tell by Linker's pics (before & after shots), that it IS a new tower for WMUU. You can tell by the number of FM "bays" on the tower, and since it is a 100,000 watt stick, it will require more bays. WMUU recently applied to keep its status as a class C broadcaster, which is the most powerfull class one can have as an FM broadcaster.

Oh, more proof: http://www.wmuu.com/ss_albums.asp

I can tell by Linker's pics (before & after shots), that it IS a new tower for WMUU. You can tell by the number of FM "bays" on the tower, and since it is a 100,000 watt stick, it will require more bays. WMUU recently applied to keep its status as a class C broadcaster, which is the most powerfull class one can have as an FM broadcaster.

Oh, more proof: http://www.wmuu.com/ss_albums.asp

The big but not tallest tower near the center of the photos, the one with the cone shaped antennas, is for telephone traffic. It was originally put there by AT&T Long Lines to transmit long distance phone calls as it was cheaper to do it this way rather than string cable. I was up there in 1978 and at that time it was pretty much the only tower on the mountain. It's a shame they are letting the mountain get scarred up like that.

Well I'm not sure what you expect. Do you think the WYFF tower atop Caesar's Head is attractive? Radio & TV stations, in order to cover their large & somewhat mountainous service area, have to put their towers up high, like atop mountains. Paris Mtn. is an already well established communications site, so I guess I don't see it as that big a deal if another tower sprouts up there.

I'll be the odd one out here, but the transmission towers don't bother me. In fact, flying in, I always look for the blinking red lights and know I'm home. I guess I almost have a fondness for them.

I've never seen a city that had a mountain in such close proximity, that did not have transmission towers. Red Mountain in Birmingham has them, Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga has them, on and on.

Here's an example of a communications tower that was done in Barcelona by Norman Foster. Basically they wanted to combine all the antennas, masts etc similar to Paris Mountain into one structure as the mountain range overlooks the city.

Tower.jpg

tower1.jpg

Here's an example of a communications tower that was done in Barcelona by Norman Foster. Basically they wanted to combine all the antennas, masts etc similar to Paris Mountain into one structure as the mountain range overlooks the city.

Tower.jpg

tower1.jpg

• 1 month later...
There is a Friends of Paris Mountain State Park ( http://pmspf.org/new/pages/index.htm) , but the park is on the north side of the mountain. Otherwise, there are probably homeowner associations related to some of the developments up there, but nothing all encompassing that I am aware of. The clear cut, especially on the southwest slope that faces Furman, just looks awful. I'm not sure what they have done to prevent erosion.

And yeah, it would be a big opportunity for the state of the county to create a park at the crest of the mountain, perhaps have a lodge or restaurant for rental, etc. I'm sure it would be popular.

Archived