Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CorgiMatt

Columbia's performing arts

11 posts in this topic

The South Carolina Philharmonic has named its new director. After a nationwide search and stiff competition, he was the overwhelming choice according to The State newspaper. He said the best part of getting the job is being in Columbia because of the synergy going on between the business community and the arts here.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8204820&nav=0RaM

This is the closest relevant thread I could locate to make this post. According to The State, this evening, the Columbia Museum of Art is going to be the initial site for a "Blockbuster Impressionist Show" beginning next March. The show is going to feature works from Monet, Renoir, Cezanne and Van Gogh, along with lesser known artists. In my opinion, this is the most exciting art show to have ever come to Columbia. Besides, impressionism is my favorite style.

Impressionist Show

Indeed. I'm not much for impressionist art, but thats an impressive collection. I'm glad to see this type of thing come to Columbia.

I just got in from a play at the Blue Bird Theater on Main Street in Orangeburg. I guess I should be upset that Town Theatre, Workshop Theatre and Trustus Theatre aren't on Main Street in Columbia, eh?

Orangeburg's main street is called Russell Street. The Blue Bird Theater is a nice fixture there too; here's a shot I took of the theater about two years ago or so (OPTP stands for Orangeburg Part-Time Players):

RussellSt.jpg

How could I forget that? My mom's people are from Orangeburg County and I know Orangeburg like I know my back yard. It reminds me that Columbia's Main Street should have its name returned to historically correct Richardson Street, since downtown Columbia no longer has a main street for shopping, entertainment, dining, etc.

I just got in from a play at the Blue Bird Theater on Main Street in Orangeburg. I guess I should be upset that Town Theatre, Workshop Theatre and Trustus Theatre aren't on Main Street in Columbia, eh?

I was being sarcastic. Columbia's Main Street is so often compared to another city's Main Street and gets no respect because of Columbia's amenities being spread all over the place off of the corridor formed by Main Street and it's cross streets. I was joking that maybe I should sulk because Orangeburg's stage theater is on their downtown's "Main Street" - Russell Street. Workshop has purchased land off of Elmwood adjacent to Elmwood Park for its future home. The building they were going to move to on Washington Street didn't work out and is now being renovated into a ballroom for the Sheraton.

Columbia's newest profressional dance company, the South Carolina Contemporary Dance Company, debuts Thursday night at the Koger Center. They say it's dance never seen before.

I didn't make it to the debut tonight, but the director, who is from Brazil and has global credentials, says in the Free Times today that she loves it here and that Columbia is the dance capital of the Southeast.