New Home For Opera Grand Rapids

mgreven

So there was something cooked up for that vacant land Gilmore owned after all!

A great addition to the area, plus it looks like they're not using the whole lot, giving the Gilmore some space to add something else to that area????

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/04/oper...lans_2_mil.html

Rehearsal and storage space, plus educational programs.

Thanks again, VanAndels!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i wonder if the taco joint is out...

From reading the article that mentioned both of them, I couldn't tell if that they wanted to do something with this land AND also open a taco joint. I was unsure if they were connected. Maybe they'll also build some retail next to it with this taco place. Can't think of a good opera about tacos they could perform...

Assuming that image is looking South at the site, it appears that the white portion is the new opera center and the red brick building to the left is retail/restaurant/cafe with outdoor seating. It does say in the article that Gilmore is only selling a 100x150 portion, which is only about 1/2 the site. He may be planning a mixed-use development for the other 1/2.

Assuming that image is looking South at the site, it appears that the white portion is the new opera center and the red brick building to the left is retail/restaurant/cafe with outdoor seating. It does say in the article that Gilmore is only selling a 100x150 portion, which is only about 1/2 the site. He may be planning a mixed-use development for the other 1/2.

Well, it looks like BETA design did the plans, maybe someone here knows more about it?

I really hate to be THAT poster that say it first, but that rendering look awful.

I mean it really looks like E. Beltline office park architecture.

Is it Opera GR or Stake and Shake?

I don't see where you're coming from. I think it would be a nice fit in the middle of a small traditional business district.

I don't read Steak & Shake or office off of that rendering.

I am wondering how they deal with parking. From the poor quality rendering, it looked like there was a zero setback, which would be best. But we'll see.

Also, I really hope the first floor is transparent and interactive. There are already too many buildings that box themselves in and leave nothing of interest for the pedestrian.

Does anyone know where we could see more renderings?

That lot has been an eyesore for as long as I've been living in the area, so I'm happy that SOMETHING is going there. Sure, Gilmore's original mixed-use plan (5 stories, I think) was a bit more sexy, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. It's easy to poo-poo something because it's not a development you'll personally use or the design doesn't turn you on, but come on, ANYTHING is better than the weed field that's there now.

I disagree. Generally speaking, any development is not better than no development. A wheatfield still has the potential to be something absolutely engaging and dynamic. A bunch of frosted windows with some picnic tables in front would be a disaster and it would then mean a neighborhood is stuck with it. I don't think that we'll be disappointed. I think the Gilmore Group does a really nice job with their restaurants, and I would expect the Opera to have an eye for design as well. But I will be ready to see more renderings and a site plan. And if need be, I'll raise holy hell at the City's public forum.

Boy, I sound like a real toughie, but really I am sweet neighbor.

So there was something cooked up for that vacant land Gilmore owned after all!

A great addition to the area, plus it looks like they're not using the whole lot, giving the Gilmore some space to add something else to that area????

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/04/oper...lans_2_mil.html

Rehearsal and storage space, plus educational programs.

Thanks again, VanAndels!

The comment by pmoore that follows the article is an interesting observation. I find myself with mixed feelings about this -- some similar to what is expressed in that comment. That said, I have a sense that it will be good for the area and Grand Rapids.

The comment by pmoore that follows the article is an interesting observation. I find myself with mixed feelings about this -- some similar to what is expressed in that comment. That said, I have a sense that it will be good for the area and Grand Rapids.

But, if Gilmore does put retail and restaurant space on the rest of that land it could really enhance the vibrancy. The "storage" and office part scared me at first, but more children's and educational program, plus recitals and master classes were what got me excited for this project in that location.

But, if Gilmore does put retail and restaurant space on the rest of that land it could really enhance the vibrancy. The "storage" and office part scared me at first, but more children's and educational program, plus recitals and master classes were what got me excited for this project in that location.

I agree. I think this may have the potential to bring in some extra traffic (not a huge amount, but some) to the area that might not normally go there. I know that nearly every week after going to my yoga class next door to Martha's Vineyard, Amy and I walk into the store to browse because it's hard not to with those desserts beckoning. :) We don't always buy something, but 6 or 7 times out of ten we do.

I don't think PMoore understands the scale of the property (ies) in question. Gilmore's parcel is pretty large. Plus, there's some land right across the street that's undeveloped.

Here are some shots I took back in February:

2437392393_2d274904d6_b.jpg

You could fit Bridgewater Place on that parcel (not that it would look right).

From the back corner looking North:

2437393499_2492d31fae_b.jpg

Across the street:

2437394745_e267d543ef_b.jpg

here is the rendering from mlive...

large_opera-building.jpg

I worked with the good folks over at Opera Grand Rapids for more than 2 years on about 5 different sites while I was still at BETA. I put together the initial scheme and renderings for this site last July. Since then it appears that someone else in the office redesigned the Opera's facade along Fulton and pasted over top of my original rendering (same people, same clouds, same perspective). At this time I can't share my previous design, but I'll say that it was more minimal, less trendy, and had blue accents instead of red.

oh, and here's an older version for a stand-alone facility on a separate site...

353085996_b2414d9358_o.jpg

I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised by the rendering. When I think Opera, I think a grand, heavily decorated building which is absolutely elegant, indicative of the Opera which goes on inside: not minimalistic. But, who designs buildings that way anymore? Thus, I'm not surprised at all.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised by the rendering. When I think Opera, I think a grand, heavily decorated building which is absolutely elegant, indicative of the Opera which goes on inside: not minimalistic. But, who designs buildings that way anymore? Thus, I'm not surprised at all.

I hear what you are saying, but this isn't an actual "Opera House" where they will perform shows. It's a practice studio, office space, classrooms, and storage. I don

I don't think PMoore understands the scale of the property (ies) in question. Gilmore's parcel is pretty large. Plus, there's some land right across the street that's undeveloped.

Here are some shots I took back in February:

2437392393_2d274904d6_b.jpg

You could fit Bridgewater Place on that parcel (not that it would look right).

From the back corner looking North:

2437393499_2492d31fae_b.jpg

Across the street:

2437394745_e267d543ef_b.jpg

I am pretty sure that pmoore does understand the scale. I have mixed feelings. If the parcel is that big, why not go for the opera house at that location, parking on the vacant lot across the street? My other concern is what type of parking requirement they will have. It would be a shame for most of the lot to go for parking. I am however reassured by the activity going on there as far as classes and events at the location, and I do enjoy a margarita and some tacos, chips and salsa, ect.

• 2 months later...

Archived