New Home For Opera Grand Rapids

mgreven

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear God almighty, this thing is pathetic. It's almost like a Supermecardo with a budget!

At least they managed to get it to the sidewalk. God knows too many developers/clients cant even pull that off these days.

LOL, I'm not impressed by it but that's pretty harsh comparing it to Supermecardo.

So when is this supposed to break ground? I can't wait to see that windowless west wall go up.

As someone who drives down Carlton every day I certainly hope that parking is going to be limited to one side of the street once all this goes in. It is already a nightmare trying to drive through that gauntlet without losing your driver's side mirror especially when St Thomas is in session.... :mellow:

Why is it that these buildings fall so far from the renderings, the courtyard and seating in the render was what brought my interest now its gone. I just hope that the addition of the other building might redeem all of the project.

What do you mean? These designs look exactly like the rendering. Even the red canopy on the two walls is the same. The only thing missing is the tables with umbrellas and the people (and the building to the East which isn't part of this project).

Eridony, don't know on ground-breaking, but the construction site sign is up now. I'd imagine it will be relatively soon.

wow, you guys are pickier than me...

Those newer images are what we in the industry call "elevation" drawings and typically they don't illustrate tables and umbrellas, thats why we do perspectival rendering too. Besides, the tables and umbrellas were purely speculative, based on the Gilmore association with the project.

In terms of the "windowless wall"... it's clearly labeled "West Elevation" which means it's buried against the side of that auto repair shop next door, so if you're going to start talking about urban eyesores...

wow, you guys are pickier than me...

Those newer images are what we in the industry call "elevation" drawings and typically they don't illustrate tables and umbrellas, thats why we do perspectival rendering too. Besides, the tables and umbrellas were purely speculative, based on the Gilmore association with the project.

In terms of the "windowless wall"... it's clearly labeled "West Elevation" which means it's buried against the side of that auto repair shop next door, so if you're going to start talking about urban eyesores...

My mistake. I saw it was labaled west elevation, but I didn't realize from the site pictures that there was a neighboring building built to the property line.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering if there has been any work on this lately. I have found a few tidbits but nothing more. I do know that the Van Andels put up a million for this project although that money was used to make the GR Opera to run without a debt. I have seen that the Frey foundation put up 100k to them this year alone. I also see they bought land on East Fulton, just West of Carlton. If anybody has some info please share. With the completion of the latest cultural project this might be the next one to be built.

I was wondering if there has been any work on this lately. I have found a few tidbits but nothing more. I do know that the Van Andels put up a million for this project although that money was used to make the GR Opera to run without a debt. I have seen that the Frey foundation put up 100k to them this year alone. I also see they bought land on East Fulton, just West of Carlton. If anybody has some info please share. With the completion of the latest cultural project this might be the next one to be built.

There looks to be vacant land on the SW corner of Fulton and Carlton. But I don't think it is big enough for anything major. My guess would be that the land would be for some kind of future facility for doing rehearsals and possible small performances in, ala the Grand Rapids Ballet's new HQ.

I merged your topic with this one. Please be sure to do a search before starting a new topic.

Dad I tried to find this article but the search function did not show this at all. I am happy you found this since I would like to read up on this development. BTW when I looked for the past year it just gave me errors. And since nothing was available after 3 months I would not be able to find this either.

Dad I tried to find this article but the search function did not show this at all. I am happy you found this since I would like to read up on this development. BTW when I looked for the past year it just gave me errors. And since nothing was available after 3 months I would not be able to find this either.

All I did was enter "opera" in the search field at the bottom of the GR section and it came up as one of four threads. The more specific you get, the less chance you'll have of finding anything.

Carlton & Fulton: big empty lot. The original sign touting its availability is still up near the intersection, and closer to the car-fix place is a sign showing OGR's rendering. Supporters of various candidates have discovered the vacant land, too.

[can almost see it from my house]

ETA: There are a few jersey wall barriers and a yellow 'dozer in the parking lot just south of the Fulton-fronted vacant land.

Groundbreaking, originally expected in summer, then scheduled for the fall, has been put on hold due to rising costs and the need to raise more money.

Plans for the center, which will house a rehearsal hall, costume shop and offices in a two-story, 14,000 square-foot building, were announced in April. Since then, rising construction costs have pushed up the estimated cost of the building from $1.95 million to $2.3 million.

Currently the company has raised approximately 80 percent of the new campaign goal.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/entertainment...lans_to_se.html

Groundbreaking, originally expected in summer, then scheduled for the fall, has been put on hold due to rising costs and the need to raise more money.

Plans for the center, which will house a rehearsal hall, costume shop and offices in a two-story, 14,000 square-foot building, were announced in April. Since then, rising construction costs have pushed up the estimated cost of the building from $1.95 million to $2.3 million.

Currently the company has raised approximately 80 percent of the new campaign goal.

Did I miss something? Why is the cost of this project on the rise? Is it due the LEED certification? It must be because it would seem the costs should be dropping as the economy dips further south, and demand of contractors and materials decreases....Is commerical and institutional construction still considered strong in the Grand Rapids area....maybe that's why?

• 1 month later...

Opera GR spoke at our last neighborhood association meeting. They're not going to begin construction till they've reached 100% of their new goal, which they thought might happen by the end of December or beginning of January. I think they slowly keep moving things around to make it look like something's happening.

That heavy machinary was moved to the middle of the lot on Monday.

Opera GR spoke at our last neighborhood association meeting. They're not going to begin construction till they've reached 100% of their new goal, which they thought might happen by the end of December or beginning of January. I think they slowly keep moving things around to make it look like something's happening.

That heavy machinery was moved to the middle of the lot on Monday.

And now it's moved on, leaving some soil disturbance behind.

Exactly *who* is Betty VanAndel and why is the place going to be named after her? Is she an opera singer? Is she gainfully employed? Does she contribute to the Gross Domestic Product in any way?

If she turns out to be some wealthy HOUSE WIFE, I'll tear the name down once it goes up.

Betty's husband founded Amway back in the day. As a result she just could not start working left and right on her own. As a result of a lot of Presidential wives she got interested in cultural events. One of those was the Grand Rapids Opera. I am not sure if there was any kicking and screaming by Jay (her husband) but needless to say she was a huge supporter for the Opera. She was able to get her husband to donate a small amount of money I think it was a million or so to help the Opera become self sufficant. As part of the self sufficancy the opera wanted their own practice and storage facility to call home. Thats what this building is going to be used for. As part of the fundraising for this home they used part of the donatation from VanAndel.

To say she was a busy homebody is hillarous. She was part of the team to start a lot of projects around the city. I think Jay would not have donated as much as he did if she was not active in the local cultural scene.

Exactly *who* is Betty VanAndel and why is the place going to be named after her? Is she an opera singer? Is she gainfully employed? Does she contribute to the Gross Domestic Product in any way?

If she turns out to be some wealthy HOUSE WIFE, I'll tear the name down once it goes up.

Glad philanthropy is big in your book. <_<

A lot of constructive criticism in this one. Nice work. Feel free to show up on Medical Mile with a dozer to tear down a few of those buildings as well - they're already up or on their way up, so no need to delay your gratification.

Aside from that nonsense: I really hope that this project moves forward soon. That corner has been a blackeye in this area for long enough, and it'll be great to welcome this building and those that use it to the Fulton Heights neighborhood!

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from zenstyle. Grand Rapids would be half the city it is (or worse, like Flint) without the philanthropy of the generous families in this town.

In fact, the Van Andels just bought a huge stake in Macatawa Bank, probably saving it from certain demise and costing hundreds if not thousands of jobs.

Definitely one of the most ignorant and ridiculous comments I've read on this board

Archived