Arrowood Station Transit-Oriented Projects

Andyc545

Hello all, long time lurker (reader), first time poster. I have a couple questions for you guys about the potential for TOD development around this station. My wife and I just recently moved from Sedgefield to the Starmount Neighborhood (opposite side of South Blvd) from Arrowood Station) where we bought a house. We loved living in Sedgefield and all the great development that is happening around the light rail but we were ready to buy a house. We chose Starmount because prices are still affordable and we are less than 1 mile from the light rail. I also read an article in CBJ and the Observer in February about Redfin predicting Starmount to be the hottest neighborhood in Charlotte for 2015! (Guess we got in before the crowd).

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/02/which-will-be-charlotte-s-hottest-neighborhood-in.html

I keep reading about all the potential new development along the light rail in Noda, University City area, New Bern station and Scaleybark station and I’m jealous. I’ve been thinking that after the Scaleybark station is developed the next station with the most potential is the Arrowood Station. Woodlawn, Tyvola and Archdale already have older existing developments but Arrowood has large tracts of empty or abandoned parcels. After seeing that the Arrowood Station project might start up again maybe this could be the catalyst to start new TOD development around this station? What do you all think is it possible or are we going to have to wait until all the land around Scaleybark station gets redeveloped?

The big thing that worries me is Charlotte’s track record of enforcing TOD development around the stations. They very often only look at the near term and not what is best for the long term development around the stations. Just look at Arrowood for example, they allowed a gigantic QT gas station and now a suburban style McDonalds with two drive thru lanes both directly across from the light rail at South Blvd and Starbrook Drive.

Here are all the vacant or soon to be vacant properties around Arrowood Station.

The abandoned Wal-Mart is owned by Victory Christian Center which has a sprawling complex just north on Old Pineville. I emailed them to see if they have any plans on redevelopment but never received a response. I REALLY REALLY hope they either sell the property or redevelop it as mixed use like the Southpark church did. It would really be a shame if that property is used for an expansion of this mega-church.

I just wanted to chime in and see what all you Up’ers thoughts were about the potential for this area. One thought I was thinking would even be relocating the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market around here. That would be so cool to be able to use the train to go to the market. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you are no longer a lurker.

Starmount is hot, I think it will prove to be a good choice. While I am no expert, I don't think we are going to see much TOD in the area for a _really_ long time (10+ years). In short, developers with eyes for TOD are going to be focusing all their resources on TOD projects along the BLE from Parkwood to Sugar Creek (and perhaps a little around U City). Sites on the Blue Line south of Scaleybark just aren't going to get much traction with large projects -- the BLE will be much more attractive. That said, I do think there is opportunity for smaller, more organic projects (like the farmers market idea) in the area. Over the next decade, small 'sprawl repair' projects can significantly transform this end of South blvd. Woodlawn to Arrowwood has the potential of becoming a very interesting part of Charlotte.

I live less than a half mile from Archdale station in Montclaire. I love the area and agree with Kermit. I don't see any TOD taking place south of Scaleybark for a long time. That ugly cooking oil plant between Woodlawn and Tyvola station is unfortunately not going anywhere and REALLY separates "southend/sedgefield" from our part of the city.

South of it, South Blvd is dominated by strip malls and car sales lots. I think it'll stay that way for at least 10-20 years as the interior adds density. That said, I don't care. I've got a 1/3rd of an acre lot within walking distance of the light rail and 1800 square feet and beautiful old trees. All for under $200k. That's unbelievable every time I think about it. Welcome to the neighborhood mb7400, we will have greenway access in just over a year!

Archived