Forum Activity/Participation

jice

Anyone else notice here lately how the Nashville forum seems a tad bit on the slow side... as far as activity, new posts, etc?

I can't help but think this place would be rockin' (at least a lil bit more so) if we could get the NC members back. I like the NC site. I know many of us post over there, as well as here on UP. And I understand the reasons why some people prefer NC.. there was a time when I, myself, did as well.

However.. I feel like UrbanPlanet has a more powerful meaning behind it... it stands for not only changes in Nashville, but changes across the country and even worldwide. Not to mention we get participation by forum members from other parts of the country, and access to a few additional tools (e.g. the wiki). These are the reasons why i've swayed back over to UP...

I'm sure activity will pick up here on UP, as it always does.. I just think it could be even greater of a place, like it used to be when everyone was together :thumbsup:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think activity is down everywhere due to the economic slow down. There is just not a lot to talk about. I have been rather idle myself after having pneumonia and trying to catch up on other projects. I have noticed that activity is down on NC as well. Sunny warm days dont help because most folks want to be outside.

I hope all you guys can help with watching the newspapers, planning commission agenda's, metro council agenda's and building permits just to mention a few. I use to be able to keep up with all of it and did my own digging around but it just takes too much time.

I have not been out on a photo taking journey in a while and due to the cost of gas I have to watch my trips into town. Anyone in Nashville proper that wants to take some shots would be welcomed.

We have also been way down at the forum meets too. It would be great to meet some of you. Sometimes its a bull session and other times there is some good info shared.

Thanks for bringing this up. Maybe we can get some discussion going. BTW watch for an update on the H2O project soon.

I read the forum each day and look several times a day to see if anything interesting has been added. The city is continuing to change whether we talk about it or not. Floors are added to projects, landscaping added when projects near completion. Things are really looking good, but I just don't have much to say about it right now myself. I do appreciate constructive updates as I've been on this forum since Moses split the lake (you were there, Ron, that was really something).

A little honesty here. I began to back off when the recurring themes here began to take on an extreme "what's wrong with something" tone. The fun, positive vibe died when people began to be more concerned about the color of a brick, or width of a landscape buffer, or style of door knobs of projects instead of the positive nature of infill built on budgets, new buildings where none were before. You know the drill. But wah wah wah, they stained the doors too dark. Tear it down. I really don't give much of a rat's behind about that kind of criticism. It does impact the built environment, but I don't care to sit on that committee. Maybe it's a personal preference, but I do remember when people were more upbeat and things and seemed to exude less of the "I don't like this, so it's trash, and I'm entitled to be pleased." Yeah, yeah, yeah. No you're not. Come up with 80 million bucks and build something yourself ... then it's all yours, and then we can complain about it. A critical discourse is necessary, but the rain clouds hovering this forum most of the time just kill me.

Having had a brush with the end of the line this fall and having survived this cancer so far, I'd much rather not hear people whine about stuff. I know, I know, it's harsh, but this is my post and how I feel, and partially why I don't post anymore. Go figure. I'm having the time of my life right now keeping my property in competition with the prettiest parks in town. It's a lot of work, but it's what I do when I'm home and what I'll continue to do as long as we get rain and temps high enough to not freeze. A few months ago, I couldn't walk to my mailbox. Now, I can work outside all day long, mow my yard and end up mowing neighbors yards because their unkempt yards make mine look less than perfect. The lesson here: if you don't like it, find a solution....I do, I mow. No need to complain, whine and feel entitled to something I'm not willing to help create myself. I choose to beautify my 'hood...hopefully others do that same. There's a lot of lazy folks out there. Always will be and we'll be the ones to pick up after them while they lament over their lack of granite and stainless steel. Please.

I'll be here watching, but please, somebody get excited about something. Geez, I got excited when I drove past Best One and found it missing. Then, I projected the view looking up Demonbreun a few short years into the future and got all quivery with excitement. We'll be getting mighty fancy around here and pretty soon. But too often it's "OMG, it's got fake stucco on it! I'm gonna kill myself." Well, that's your choice. Give me the silver lining.

See you soon. Well, jice, you asked. :)

:)

Thanks for the participation, Dave. Always good to hear from you! Entertaining, as usual...

I agree, there has been some negative vibes goin on at times... sometimes even by me. Although, I try to keep it positive as much as I can.... hard as it can be at times...

Nashville is definitely changing for the better! I can't wait to see it a year from now.

By the way... pics I promised are coming very soon... finally got time to download and go through them tonight!

Good to hear from you Dave and I am glad you are doing better. I have been worried about you. I always look forward to your post. Maybe we can get some things going here in the near future as far as what is going on in town. I tend to agree with you about some of the criticism and it has caused a lot of folks to get thier feelings hurt. Hopefully we can all rise above that now. Looking forward to many more post from you and others here.

Nashville's forum is really rocking when compared to other places, namely Memphis.

There are fewer and fewer posts in the Memphis forum.

The total posts and activities for Nashville are more than twice as many.

Anyone else notice here lately how the Nashville forum seems a tad bit on the slow side... as far as activity, new posts, etc?

I can't help but think this place would be rockin' (at least a lil bit more so) if we could get the NC members back. I like the NC site. I know many of us post over there, as well as here on UP. And I understand the reasons why some people prefer NC.. there was a time when I, myself, did as well.

However.. I feel like UrbanPlanet has a more powerful meaning behind it... it stands for not only changes in Nashville, but changes across the country and even worldwide. Not to mention we get participation by forum members from other parts of the country, and access to a few additional tools (e.g. the wiki). These are the reasons why i've swayed back over to UP...

I'm sure activity will pick up here on UP, as it always does.. I just think it could be even greater of a place, like it used to be when everyone was together :thumbsup:

It is sad that the forum has declined from where it was, but I feel like right now it's okay. For a while there, though, it was pretty barren! I check the forum several times a day, but I just ususally read because I don't feel I have anything new or constructive to add so I leave it to those who know more. I do agree that for a period there was a lot of negativity, but hopefully that's been rectified. It seemed when WW wrote the negative thing about NT that the forum started declining and Bell's Bend proposal was what stopped the bleeding and started the return. Seriously; let's have Tony give another fake groundbreaking date and we'll have lot's of activity.

I agree with ya Dave. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes it gets discouraging to see nit-picky-ness over the details of a building. Oh well, I'm just glad we have some decent development going on right now.

It has been kinda quite around here. I guess not much going on except some new floors on the Pinnacle and Rythm, finishing up the Icon and Terrazzo, and waiting on the

WES or ST, if ever, or the next big thing.

I also come here and a couple of other sites for updates and pictures. I try to post when I can. However, I am pretty busy (aren't we all) and usually only post either saying thanks for the pictures or something else pretty insignificant. Every now and then I become inspired, like now, and write a longer post.

Well the few things I am excited for:

Rolling Mill Hill - it's taking forever, but IMO this is going to be a very cool development

The Gulch - what a transformed area of town; enjoyed watching the Icon and Terrazzo go up; will miss the cranes but excited to see them finished and how the folks that move in transform the Gulch even more; excited to watch the Velocity progress and hoping the Griffin Plaza and Eakin Towers start soon

Rythm - cool building; love the rendering; can't wait to see it's effect on the infill, and how it will look between the Gulch and the Row

WES - love the rendering as well; just waiting....

ST - need I say anything; waiting as well, hoping it will be; Nashville needs a good sized building to give the skyline a "signature" look

Pinnacle - helping SoBro evolve; enjoying see its fast progress; can't wait to it finished to see how it will effect the skyline

Music City Central - can't wait to see how this effects mass transport; gas prices are definitely helping; I think Nashville needs better, but on the right "track"

New CC - awesome; just hope the design is good (please look at www.themccproject.com); should spur some good development and growth -> CC hotel(s) and other new towers, maybe even the airport; should help Nashville recognition around the nation

Okay, that's all for now. It's late. My two cents.

Oh yeah, hope everyone who is/was sick is feeling better!

Archived