Trip to Charlotte.

Xss

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do hope you'll visit us from time to time after you get back to France! Thanks for the kudos on the pics as well! Regarding security and taking photos...it's like this not only in Charlotte but many cities across the US. I've had several "security breaches" in Chicago when I lived there...the biggest was probably me on my last day there taking video of the building I worked in (Aon Center, 2nd tallest in Chicago). A security person approached me and watched me as I had to film over what I had taped. Every other instance I've had I was able to keep the footage I took though. In Charlotte I've most recently been approached while taking pictures from the top of the Seventh Street parking deck. The guy was pretty nice about it and was just doing his job I suppose. I would say you won't have many problems taking pictures or video of Charlotte unless you go inside of some of the buildings like Bank of America or on top of parking decks.

Ok, thanks a lot!

It's a shame about the inside of the buildings, specially the BofA, witch is very great I thing : last trip we could take video inside without any problem, I hope it'll be the case this time to. Well, but I just have to wait and see!

Hi, I'm here in Charlotte, after all...The "serious things" will begin tomorow, even if I could take some pics today.

Just one thing : we took the Center City Inn hotel in our package, near the Carillon Building and I think it was a very bad choice...Wasn't it ?

Yeah, the location is good, you have a great view of the downtown, but we found the rooms, in fact specially the bathroom, dirty.

Now we're looking for another hotel, perhaps in downtown, within 50$. Does someone can now such a hotel, thanks ? We're going to chech ourself too, today, when we'll go to downtown...If we don't find something, we'll look for one around downtown.

Hm, OK, thanks for the help. My father found one at 50$/the night on the internet, for two days , I don't know where, and I don't know the name of this hotel. We're going to check today, we hope it'll be nice.

By the way, does the center city inn going to be destroyed, to have a new surface to build something? Because that's what we thought yesterday, when we saw it : you don't have the feeling it's going to stay here for a long time (and by the way, is this hotel there since a long time, or was something else in this building?) we even felt it was more or less abandoned, like just waiting some cranes to tear it down.

OK, we found another hotel, near the university area, Courtyard I think. It's a little bit far from downtown, but well, it's very OK for us, I think we'll stay here. A good thing done!

Well, I think I'm going to look in the forum how to post pics, and I'll see when I put some here!

Hm...Don't know what a geese is...It doen't come in my little dictionnary!

Anyway, I looked in the forum and to post a pic I understood I must put te pic in a server first, or something like that...OK, I never do this before, but I think I'll be able to do it. But I think it's going to take some time before I could post one here, perhaps I'll have to wait to be again in France, and have some time to do this. I must to other things when I'm with internet in the hotel, and I don't spend all my time here!

But I would ask you some questions (in fact, questions from my parents...), about the downtown. My father me he prefers to go there during the week-end, because there's not a lot of people, and he'll be able to find a parking for the car, during the other days he says there's too traffic, to people, etc. Well, I don't know if he's right or not, but I I don't want to go during the week-end : five years ago, there was nobody in the downtown during the week-end...But I think we'll try to go to downtown today.

I would like to go to the downtown one evening, to se it during the night. My father is worried about security : is the downtown safe at night? I think there shouldn't be any problem...My parents said me too yesterday that all the restaurants and fast foods of the downtown would be closed at night, because you know : they told me there would be nobody in downtown because nobody is working, etc.

And, at the end, about July the fourth, is the firework in downtown? When I saw the pics posted last year, I think it was in downtown, but I can be wrong...Well, of course my parents started saying I was probably wrong, because with the sckyscrapers you can't see those fireworks, etc. Well, so they want to know where to go to have a good view of them (I was thinking about the Green, near the Wachovia buildings...), and if there's a lot of people usually : I think they don't want to go if there's too people and if you must come early, to find some place on a parking...

Aaah...Parents. <_<

Well, thanks for the answers!

Downtown is safe...in fact it is one of the safest parts of the city now. When you go downtown I recommend parking at the Seventh Street Station Parking deck. It has entrances on 6th and 7th Streets between College St and Brevard St. Parking is free there after 5pm. If you go there before 5pm then your first 90 minutes of parking is free.

The fireworks will be on July 4th downtown:

http://www.skyshow.net

Downtown is very safe day or night, though I might would stay away from the Southwest side around the football stadium at night. I would also recommend the Seventh Street Station parking deck, I always park there when I go to downtown. If you go for July 4th celebration the parking deck might be closed though. Last year I believe it was Bank of America that had reserved it and the public couldn't park there. I'm not sure where the best view is at. Also, I would not worry about the restaurants closing down at night and on weekends or no one downtown on the weekends or night. Downtown Charlotte has changed a lot in the past five years and is quite lively all the time now! Also, a "Geese" is the word for multiple Goose. A Goose is a bird that looks innocent but when you approach them the will bite the hell out of you, LOL! I also have a thread showing an incident with a couple of Geese...a bloody reminder, haha!

Archived