Hudson - Traditional Neighborhood Development

Southron

Hudson, Montgomery's most recently announced New Urbanist development, is being developed in east Montgomery as a town with neighborhoods, farm facilities, cattle facilities, equestrian facilities, a school, recreational facilities and nearly 7 miles of trails. The $2.5 billion, 2,100+ acre project will include about 1,300 acres of undeveloped land.

Over a 20-year period, 10,000-15,000 people are expected to live in Hudson's 3,000+ units. Home prices will range from the high $100,000s to close to $1 million. It will include single-family homes, townhouses, lofts, condos and apartments for rent.

The development team includes Urban Villages of Denver; town planners Dover Kohl & Partners, responsible for Montgomery's downtown master plan; Andropogon Associates, a Philadelphia ecological design firm; and Jeff Speck, a former director of town planning for Duany Plater-Zyberk and former director of design of the National Endowment for the Arts.

'A sense of place'

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I like the concept, it's the location that bugs me....Timbuktu. Of course it's in East Montgomery, try this in West Montgomery and see what happens. :) Will this be in the unincorporated county or will it become another battle between COM and the fiefdom they call Pike Road?

Also why build a new small town in Alabama when there are so many real small towns that w/just a little TLC could look just like this and would actually be authentic, not Disney-esque. Don't get me wrong, I love new-urbanism and walkable places, but there's just something that smacks of elitism w/this one.

Am I completely off base about that? Love to hear other's comments/opinions on it.

While I like the concept, it's the location that bugs me....Timbuktu. Of course it's in East Montgomery, try this in West Montgomery and see what happens. :) Will this be in the unincorporated county or will it become another battle between COM and the fiefdom they call Pike Road?

Also why build a new small town in Alabama when there are so many real small towns that w/just a little TLC could look just like this and would actually be authentic, not Disney-esque. Don't get me wrong, I love new-urbanism and walkable places, but there's just something that smacks of elitism w/this one.

Am I completely off base about that? Love to hear other's comments/opinions on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived