Volkswagen in Alabama possibly Limestone county

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out this (very) biased chart on the front page of the Chattanooga Times Free Press... http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/po...amp;tfp_map=USA

They completely forgot about Calhoun Community College, the largest community college in the state, which is very close to the site. And their metro population doesn't include Decatur.

The article about Huntsville is a bit better. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/ju...ity-site/?local

Check out this (very) biased chart on the front page of the Chattanooga Times Free Press... http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/po...amp;tfp_map=USA

They completely forgot about Calhoun Community College, the largest community college in the state, which is very close to the site. And their metro population doesn't include Decatur.

The article about Huntsville is a bit better. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/ju...ity-site/?local

If they printed the truth the Chattanooga area side would come up short in the long run. If you look back the site in Chattanooga listed proximity to NASA/Redstone Arsenal

as an asset. Huntsville's airport already has nonstop cargo service to Europe. But in the end VW will pick the best site that fits their needs and it is a toss up I would guess.

Also the site may not be the TVA megasite but the one in the Greenbriar area, the Delphi plant metioned in the article is in Decatur not Huntsville. It would be great if both sites

are picked. One key item that will be important..quality of life, both cities tout great living and Huntsville regulary appears on such rankings (not sure about Chatty but I'm sure they

do). Whoever is not picked it won't because of lack of effort or doing all they can to get VW.

I'm wondering how much of it had to do with the state and local leanders backing off the gas when they thought it was theirs. I remember that in the Thyssen Krupp competition Alabama didn't give as much in incentives to that german company but still won the prize. In this competition they knew they did not offer what Tennessee offered beforehand but (as far as I know) did not up the offer. Maybe they thought it would be just like Thyssen Krupp and they would get it anyway. Alas, I think we are in line for the next big plant that comes calling, unless Alabama doesn't go through with upgrading the site in Limestone county to be more ready for a plant to land there.

I'm wondering how much of it had to do with the state and local leanders backing off the gas when they thought it was theirs. I remember that in the Thyssen Krupp competition Alabama didn't give as much in incentives to that german company but still won the prize. In this competition they knew they did not offer what Tennessee offered beforehand but (as far as I know) did not up the offer. Maybe they thought it would be just like Thyssen Krupp and they would get it anyway. Alas, I think we are in line for the next big plant that comes calling, unless Alabama doesn't go through with upgrading the site in Limestone county to be more ready for a plant to land there.

No, Huntsville still wins overall. Think about it-- the Huntsville area already gains about 3,000 jobs per year, and BRAC's eventually going to bring thousands of jobs to the city (whether the people from VA come or not, and even if Obama gets elected) at about the same time this VW plant opens in Chattanooga. And that city has nothing coming close to what BRAC will bring to our city, nor do they have the yearly job growth, so congrats to them- they obviously need it more than we do.

I tell you one thing. I am never going to believe SouthernAutoCorridor.com again. They, from the beginning, lifted Alabama up as being the preferred site for the plant, citing sources. In the end they fell flat on their face, and look like fools for reporting falsely. A few german media outlets did the same, but my gripe is with SAC. I know that it's parent, Southern Business and Development is based in Birmingham, and I'm wondering how much bias went into the reporting because of the fact Limestone County is in Alabama. I was hesitant anyway because of the fact that so many of these plants are thought to go one place and end up in another; think Mercedes. Huntsville and Alabama will be all right.

I tell you one thing. I am never going to believe SouthernAutoCorridor.com again. They, from the beginning, lifted Alabama up as being the preferred site for the plant, citing sources. In the end they fell flat on their face, and look like fools for reporting falsely. A few german media outlets did the same, but my gripe is with SAC. I know that it's parent, Southern Business and Development is based in Birmingham, and I'm wondering how much bias went into the reporting because of the fact Limestone County is in Alabama. I was hesitant anyway because of the fact that so many of these plants are thought to go one place and end up in another; think Mercedes. Huntsville and Alabama will be all right.

I agree with you jman, still it's a kick to the grapes cause HSV is used to winning (hurts our psychi), and for whatever reason the state couldn't close the deal. Anyone that says it's because of schools, the mayor etc etc don't know what they are talking about. I think also that VW just liked the scenic views better than the flat farmland in Limestone county.

And they said the difference was extremely small so it finally came down to dollars, (Alabama believed the headlines that said we would get it)

The good thing is now there are two auto plant ready sites in the HSV metro that have passed the test and will be high on the list next time(Audi). Remember also Chattanooga

got left at the alter several time by Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia.

Stephan Jacoby, Volkswagen of America president, said the VW site assessment team was impressed with many "intangibles" about Chattanooga, including its livability, sustainability focus, mountain and river setting and environmental record.

Can't really argue with that, even though Huntsville isn't that far off either.

Archived