Fate of Ray Winder Field

Apparently Bill Valentine gave the structure to the city (the city and state own the land already). There has been talk of Hall, Catholic, and McClellan sharing it for high school baseball but it may be difficult to afford the upkeep. There has also been a lot of talk about using it for zoo expansion. How to pay for anything done to it is going to be an issue.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently Bill Valentine gave the structure to the city (the city and state own the land already). There has been talk of Hall, Catholic, and McClellan sharing it for high school baseball but it may be difficult to afford the upkeep. There has also been a lot of talk about using it for zoo expansion. How to pay for anything done to it is going to be an issue.

It's a bit of a pickle. Reading the history of the park it seems like we would be crazy to tear it down to give to the zoo. The historical significance of the park is part of the problem but honestly, the structure is nothing worth keeping. Lamar Porter is ancient and far more attractive. Maintenance will be a bear and it's already in horrific condition. It won't be long before it's simply unsafe. I'm a big proponent of the zoo (as the parent of a preschooler) and I think it would be a great use for it.

If the zoo doesn't bring in a bull elephant and provide more space, then they will have to make a choice between maintaining their accreditation and giving up elephants. I think it will be a matter of getting the state to turnover property to the City. I'm assuming the City will want to consolidate the ownership.

It's a bit of a pickle. Reading the history of the park it seems like we would be crazy to tear it down to give to the zoo. The historical significance of the park is part of the problem but honestly, the structure is nothing worth keeping. Lamar Porter is ancient and far more attractive. Maintenance will be a bear and it's already in horrific condition. It won't be long before it's simply unsafe. I'm a big proponent of the zoo (as the parent of a preschooler) and I think it would be a great use for it.

I agree, the structure has NO architectural significance. Yes, there is heritage and history because of what happened there, but Ray Winder is not a "grand old lady" - she was never a lady, maybe not even a "she". It was NEVER nice. Lamar Porter is a fine park, but not Ray Winder.

I am in complete support of a significant expansion/improvement of the zoo, and this land is too valuable to that end. I'd like to see this be the next major capital improvement for central Arkansas.

I agree, the structure has NO architectural significance. Yes, there is heritage and history because of what happened there, but Ray Winder is not a "grand old lady" - she was never a lady, maybe not even a "she". It was NEVER nice. Lamar Porter is a fine park, but not Ray Winder.

I am in complete support of a significant expansion/improvement of the zoo, and this land is too valuable to that end. I'd like to see this be the next major capital improvement for central Arkansas.

Archived