Billion Dollar Development/Madison

HSVTiger

A new interchange is in the works for this area, directly north of Huntsville International Airport

Ground-breaking is set to begin this summer on a billion dollar development that will add 4 million square feet of shopping, dining, entertainment, residential, hotel and office space to the city.

Mayor Sandy Kirkindall announced the major development with Wann Springs Development Group during tonight's annual State of the City Address. It will be on 450 acres at the intersection of County Line Road and Interstate 565.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be interesting to see how this development and Sweetwater (located 7 miles away from this project) will work out being so close to each other in such a sparsely populated area. Sounds like someone's going to lose big. And I'm a little hesitant to celebrate either project b/c the developers seem to have no experience with such large projects, if anything-- a Google search of the developers finds nothing, except for the blog article above.

I'll believe it when Nordstrom opens...

A new interchange is in the works for this area, directly north of Huntsville International Airport

Ground-breaking is set to begin this summer on a billion dollar development that will add 4 million square feet of shopping, dining, entertainment, residential, hotel and office space to the city.

Mayor Sandy Kirkindall announced the major development with Wann Springs Development Group during tonight's annual State of the City Address. It will be on 450 acres at the intersection of County Line Road and Interstate 565.

It's going to be interesting to see how this development and Sweetwater (located 7 miles away from this project) will work out being so close to each other in such a sparsely populated area. Sounds like someone's going to lose big. And I'm a little hesitant to celebrate either project b/c the developers seem to have no experience with such large projects, if anything-- a Google search of the developers finds nothing, except for the blog article above.

I'll believe it when Nordstrom opens...

I think this development needs to stand out from Sweetwater and Bridge Street in some way. For the most part each development seems to be the same type of thing, catering to the same demographic. Otherwise, I think that jmanhsv and Huntsville_secede are right; this is just too much, too soon.

I think this development needs to stand out from Sweetwater and Bridge Street in some way. For the most part each development seems to be the same type of thing, catering to the same demographic. Otherwise, I think that jmanhsv and Huntsville_secede are right; this is just too much, too soon.

I don't see them catering to the same demographic for several reasons:

1. Sweetwater will probably be a larger scale outlet center similar to Opry Mills in Nashville. Their anchor tenant, Bass Pro Shop, is typically found in outlet centers. This location would bode well for an outlet center because it is right on I-65 and wil be the only such center directly on that interstate (Opry Mills is too far away, and Water Mark in Bessemer is also, too far away). I would expect all of the outlets in Boaz - Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, Calvin Klein, etc. to move to this prime highway location, plus they will be closer to Huntsville and Decatur and have the regional draw of Bass Pro. I would not be surprised to see an Off Fifth Saks fifth Avenue outlet to go there as Saks previously had an Off Fifth at 100 Oaks on I-65 in Nashville. Also Sweetwater is too far from the residential areas of Decatur to have a Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, or Wal-Mart. It's location forces it to be a super regional center when the only nearby residential areas are about two streets in Mooresville.

2. Wan Springs will be more of a mixed use catering to the Madison area and could fill in some of the gaps which Bridge Street leaves. The biggest gap was the failure of Bridge Street to obtain a department store - From 2003 to 2006, the Bridge Street website boasted an "upscale department store". If Wan Springs can bring in a Macy's then they will provide a draw to induce those shoppers further east in HSV to make the drive out there as well as those from Decatur who will be even closer than a lot of HSV.

3. Bridge Street is neither an outlet center or a regional "mall" type development" but is more restaurant and upscale oriented. Because it's restaurants seem to be doing a stronger business than it's retail stores, it appears to be the greatest competitor to Constellation. - In fact it seems difficult to see how this market can handle any more high end restaurants. Even the new Phil Sandoval's seems to be challenged with some of their waiters holding a banner on University saying "Now Open" almost a month after opening.

4. The Zeirdt Rd. Debartolo Development appears to be now more residential oreinted if you look at their picture on the website it shows only the first section, which would have big box stores, all circled in red. It is feasible to see a Home Depot, Target combination going in that location to cater to the exploding residential demographic developing along Zeirdt Rd. all the way down to Triana (Breland has a new 1,000 lot develpment called the River Landing just north of Triana).

These developers will recognize the unique draw of each center and try to not to cannibalize the market, too much.

The Zierdt Rd project is probably dead in the water unless some major issues change..doubtful.

Sweetwater may not happen either, in it's current proposed plan.

The Madison project actually has the best chance of happening.

The big possible catalyst in all of this..Volkswagen.

Archived