New Menard's / Hotel on 28th Street

GRM76

I know that they are planning to put a new Menard's store and a Hotel in the vacant land behind Art Van on 28th street but I wasn't sure if anyone had more information. It looks like they have done a ton of work back there but it looks far from ready.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the Drury was to go by 28th and I-96, where the burned Knights Inn sits. The new hotel to be built beside the new Menards I believe will be a new Residence Inn by Marriott.

Oh yeah, you're right. I just read 28th st. and thought this was the Drury Inn spot because it's not too far from 96.. Do you know how big the Marriott will be?

My office is right behind this project, so I know a little about it from the proposal meetings. They are going to have access to the project from both 28th (shared access at the Art Van), and also from Sparks/Forest Hills. The project will fill up pretty much all of the old Splash Waterpark land. They have been doing some work on the back of the land for the rear driveway, but it has been a little sporadic. There is a pretty steep hill back there that the waterpark used.

I suppose it is good that this land is finally being used, but it is another project leaving Centerpointe, and it is a real issue for the people who have the nice condos on top of that hill up there.

I think the hotel is going to go towards the east side of this development.

I wonder what is going to happen to Centerpointe. That place didn't seemt o be doing well last time I was there. Now two of their anchors will be gone in the next year and that has to be a huge blow to them. Also, they dropped their lifestyle center plans.

I know they said they would chop up the Klingmans space into smaller units to lease, but aren't there already vacant spaces in the rest of the mall that still need leasing. With losing two of their anchors it seems like the smaller stores would be more likely to move out as well.

I wonder what is going to happen to Centerpointe. That place didn't seemt o be doing well last time I was there. Now two of their anchors will be gone in the next year and that has to be a huge blow to them. Also, they dropped their lifestyle center plans.

I know they said they would chop up the Klingmans space into smaller units to lease, but aren't there already vacant spaces in the rest of the mall that still need leasing. With losing two of their anchors it seems like the smaller stores would be more likely to move out as well.

Maybe they could do a large scale indoor mtn bike park, a la Ray's in Cleveland, to go along with Modern Skate and Surf, which has always been busy the few times I've been in there.

Ray's website: http://www.raysmtb.com/

Not that I expect this to happen. I think the location is too high demand/traffic for future possible retail uses and not cheap enough yet to justify use for only half the year. Ray's was built in an old, underutilized warehouse in an industrial area. But, it would still be pretty cool. :) Perhaps a Ray's could go in down on Godfrey somewhere.

Add Linens N Things to that list set to close all three of their Grand Rapids stores this includes the Centerpointe location, Granville, and Alpine.

Maybe they could do a large scale indoor mtn bike park, a la Ray's in Cleveland, to go along with Modern Skate and Surf, which has always been busy the few times I've been in there.

Ray's website: http://www.raysmtb.com/

Not that I expect this to happen. I think the location is too high demand/traffic for future possible retail uses and not cheap enough yet to justify use for only half the year. Ray's was built in an old, underutilized warehouse in an industrial area. But, it would still be pretty cool. :) Perhaps a Ray's could go in down on Godfrey somewhere.

I have been to Ray's. It's incredible, but 28th and the Beltline is way to high profile for something like an MTB park.

Add Linens N Things to that list set to close all three of their Grand Rapids stores this includes the Centerpointe location, Granville, and Alpine.

Wow, when are they pulling out?

So what big stores is the mall left with? Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx? I don't see any reason why they'd stay in the mall after their leases are up. Taking away those other anchors will have to take away a huge number of shoppers who end up visiting the smaller stores.

So saying Centerpointe goes belly-up in 2 years....what to do with the space? Another mall? A lifestyle center?!? The few times I've been in there (for cheap disposable t-shirts at Steve & Barry's) it's eerily dead in there.

I've been trying to figure out what will happen after the mall dies as well. They just renovated this mall less then a decade ago right? So I would think the chances of a new mall at this location are pretty slim. They mentioned a lifestyle center before and then said those plans are now off the table. Of course that could always change.

I would love to see the site redeveloped into a more traditional town center, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for something like that on 28th Street. I could see the remaining stores in the mall build a new strip development closer to 28th street and the rest of the mall site could be developed into an office park.

Maybe I shouldn't be speculating on this here. I'm :offtopic:

• 3 years later...

Re: Menard's...

Was in the Centerpoint store today and asked the clerk, "when will the new store open?" She said that they have purchased a new parcel "near Home Depot." I said what about the location by Art Van. She said they installed a road, but it was "too close" and would cost too much to remove and start over.

**Take this info with a grain of salt. I was buying a strip of cove moulding and had to tell her what it was several times, then showed her where some was installed not 18" from her feet.

Archived