Which Hartford Neighborhood will be the first?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be making a case for North frog Hollow

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/wsd/Nei...frog_hollow.pdf

This PDF outlines the mayors plan for the area, and I gotta say its in a pretty good place to make a full jump to respectability. The problems it faces in terms of perception start with its name and end with its proximity to Park street. Broad does not have the best reputation either.

The blocks North of Russ street have the best chance of attracting a more cosmopolitan residency in my opinion. there are also some major projects recently completed, or in the works that back up my point.

There is a nice set of slides at the end of that report. page 20

I think my main reason for thinking this area has a chance is its proximity to the capitol offices, the park, Aetna, and the streets are ctually still pretty. if it were seen as a decent place to live people would stop here with realtor and say.. I can live here.

Another major reason for hope is the plan I posted above coupled with Taragons plan for the 113 Loft Apartments at 376-400 Capitol Ave. In addition to the proposed lofts project there has been investment into local businesses and I recently learned about the Lyceum investing in more of the housing on Lawrence street.

Based on the citys web site they own 56 babcock, 52 Babcock, 46 Babcock, 257 Lawrence, 251 Lawrence, 243 Lawrence 210 Lawrence, 233 Lawrence, 227 Lawrence, in addition to the old mill buildings that Firebox is located in.

If they continue to invest in the area, and the Taragon project is any kind of success I can easily see this area making the leap.

I will be making a case for North frog Hollow

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/wsd/Nei...frog_hollow.pdf

This PDF outlines the mayors plan for the area, and I gotta say its in a pretty good place to make a full jump to respectability. The problems it faces in terms of perception start with its name and end with its proximity to Park street. Broad does not have the best reputation either.

The blocks North of Russ street have the best chance of attracting a more cosmopolitan residency in my opinion. there are also some major projects recently completed, or in the works that back up my point.

There is a nice set of slides at the end of that report. page 20

I think my main reason for thinking this area has a chance is its proximity to the capitol offices, the park, Aetna, and the streets are ctually still pretty. if it were seen as a decent place to live people would stop here with realtor and say.. I can live here.

Another major reason for hope is the plan I posted above coupled with Taragons plan for the 113 Loft Apartments at 376-400 Capitol Ave. In addition to the proposed lofts project there has been investment into local businesses and I recently learned about the Lyceum investing in more of the housing on Lawrence street.

Based on the citys web site they own 56 babcock, 52 Babcock, 46 Babcock, 257 Lawrence, 251 Lawrence, 243 Lawrence 210 Lawrence, 233 Lawrence, 227 Lawrence, in addition to the old mill buildings that Firebox is located in.

If they continue to invest in the area, and the Taragon project is any kind of success I can easily see this area making the leap.

Your Joking Right?

How can growth happen when Hartford City leaders will vote on projects just to spite each other? DO you think it would be a good idea to have a cheap place to park downtown, no - city leaders use these lots as gifts to friends and supporters, and lets face it laz and the rest of the parking lobby gives to these people.

The most obvious solution for hartford to compete, and you will never see parking downtown for an hour or day withour being gouged. Look at all the companies that have moved out. I mean companies that could really make a difference.

Too poor , too provincial and leadership that is too interested in political games then progress.

Just to be different, I'll say Clay-Arsenal. The area just north of downtown will soon house the Public Safety Complex, which could be a great basis for a turnaround. If anything ever gets built in those lots, that neighborhood would then have a better connection to downtown than it does the North End. That area could easily be bought up by a few developers and turned into some great housing.

I would say Asylum Hill has the most potential but it mainly suffers because of Farmington Avenue. It would be great if employers (not just Aetna) had a program similar to Yale's to encourage re-gentrification. Not to state the obvious but I think downtown is going to grow first. It still has room to fill in so I think I can get away with saying that in this forum.

I think the area south of capitol on Broad street is very appealing. I drove down there the other day and felt like I was in and area of nyc or some other city with the building architecture. very neat potential. Also I could see Parkville getting a boost in a few years.

Not sure what neighborhood will be next. My choice would be Blue Hills it has a low poverty rate, relatively high income, park adjacent, and an attractive housing stock. Some downsides are it is too far from downtown and doesn't have many businesses aside from Jamaican restaurants and food places. Unfortunately too any ignorant people think simply because it is on the North End it is poor, violent and thus not worthy of attention. Not sure how one would combat that.

I also think the area around Congress street is nice and is already on the upswing.

Archived