Transit in Nashville

FrijolMalo

Here is Channel 5 link as well:

$5 Billion Regional Transit In The Works

Here is a snippet

Plans for what the system would look like have not been released, but Mayor Dean said he could see a combination of bus rapid transit and a light rail system.The money to fund the project would come from federal dollars, but private and local funding would also be needed. MPO would decide how to spend the $5 billion on roads, bridges, transit, walking and bicycling over the next 25 years.

The Nashville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization will present a proposal from all the suggestions by May 26 and send final plans to the government by October.

If you would like your suggestions about a regional transit system heard, contact your local mayor or visit www.nashvillempo.org.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another article in the TN about Dean's focus on mass transit now that the CC is pretty much done to get started. I applaud Dean for trying to move a region transportation system forward. I also applaud his focus for revitalizing the riverfront. Hopefully, all (well most, not all) the naysayers will learn more about building a regional place to live and not blindly focus so much on spending and taxation. Although, I do hope Nashville will strive to keep the cost of living down which is a huge draw for our area. Can we have our cake and eat it too?

Nashville Mayor Dean turns eye to mass transit

PS Geez at the winter we are having!

Another article in the TN about Dean's focus on mass transit now that the CC is pretty much done to get started. I applaud Dean for trying to move a region transportation system forward. I also applaud his focus for revitalizing the riverfront. Hopefully, all (well most, not all) the naysayers will learn more about building a regional place to live and not blindly focus so much on spending and taxation. Although, I do hope Nashville will strive to keep the cost of living down which is a huge draw for our area. Can we have our cake and eat it too?

Nashville Mayor Dean turns eye to mass transit

PS Geez at the winter we are having!

I really do applaud Dean for showing initiative on Nashville's poor transportation system. To me, getting lightrail in Davidson County and commuter rail connections to and from the outer counties is the Most Important issue for Nashville. Oil is a finite resource and we are way to dependent on our cars.

DEVELOP LIGHTRAIL NOW NASHVILLE!!!!

Ok let's play mass transit tycoon (sorry, we have probably already done this, but now that regional transportation might actually happen, let's renew). I have been wondering how light rail and street cars could be designed to fit into Nashville and regional areas. Have we built ourselves into a corner? For example, take Hillsboro Village on 21st Av. This area seems like a great fit for light rail or street cars. However, how the hell would you build something like that on this already congested road?? Not only is space already limited for the rail, but traffic is pretty bad. Or maybe this isn't a good candidate for rail?

Other corridors, 8th Av/Franklin Rd., Belmont Ave., 2nd/4th Ave/Nolensville Rd, Broadway, etc. (connections North, East, West, and South). Also other corridors, could be Thompson Lane/Woodmont/Briley Pkwy/Airport and Harding Place/Donelson Pk/Airport for east to west and airport connections. How could this be done?

Ok let's play mass transit tycoon.... How could this be done?

Personally, i would like to see a mixture of modes. I don't mean that i would "like" it, but i think certain corridors would have different needs. To answer the question about Hilsboro Rd., you're probably right about a lack of space. This is true for the Village as well as Green Hills and Demonbreun(basically, that entire corridor). It would probably be a good fit for BRT. West End and Gallatin Rd. are probably the best candadites for light rail, with maybe Nolensville Rd. in that mix as well. I would like to see commuter rail to Murfreesboro/Franklin for sure, and maybe Clarksville. I think BRT would also fit other main roads like Murfreesboro Rd., Charlotte, and 8th into Bordeaux. A circular would be good around the Belmont/Vandy campus'. I also would like to see the pedestrian bridge include some mass transit down Shelby(maybe a trolley) and into 5 points.

The airport needs something connecting it to downtown. If Gaylord had a brain, it would be a triangle to include Opryland.

But for any of these scenarios to come true, Nashvillians will have to learn to give up their precious "turning lane", or at least learn to share it.

Ok let's play mass transit tycoon (sorry, we have probably already done this, but now that regional transportation might actually happen, let's renew). I have been wondering how light rail and street cars could be designed to fit into Nashville and regional areas. Have we built ourselves into a corner? For example, take Hillsboro Village on 21st Av. This area seems like a great fit for light rail or street cars. However, how the hell would you build something like that on this already congested road?? Not only is space already limited for the rail, but traffic is pretty bad. Or maybe this isn't a good candidate for rail?

Other corridors, 8th Av/Franklin Rd., Belmont Ave., 2nd/4th Ave/Nolensville Rd, Broadway, etc. (connections North, East, West, and South). Also other corridors, could be Thompson Lane/Woodmont/Briley Pkwy/Airport and Harding Place/Donelson Pk/Airport for east to west and airport connections. How could this be done?

Hillsboro Village could just lose the street parking. A streetcar once ran down that road, co-existing with automobiles. (Does anyone have a map of Nashville's streetcar lines from around WWII? One went all the way out Belle Meade Boulevard to the park. I wouldn't be surprised if streetcars went past Green Hills.)

Your point about taking away lanes that are needed for existing traffic for transit options is also a concern of mine. However, a real commitment to mass transit, I feel, requires reshaping much of our main arteries that will create a mess for us in the upcoming decades, a sacrifice our grandchildren will come to appreciate.

For me, the reason for mass transit is not for transit's sake alone, but to allow Nashville to grow comfortably in population to over a million citizens and solving transportation issues being central to that end. If we just add light rail as another transit option, but fail to plan to grow, I think it's a waste of money. And if by servicing surrounding counties the improved connectivity adds to the outward migration of the middle class, then it's a step backwards.

If I was a transit tycoon I'd extend light rail/streetcars out to the Briley parkway/Woodmont/Thompson lane loop (plus a few more miles) out every road that had streetcars 60 years ago. I'd then rebuild each road as a boulevard with minimum traffic restictions, with an eye to segregating local and through traffic. That would take out a lot of structures that have been built since WWII, but it would put us on the road to a sustainable growth pattern lost when our "spoke" roads became endless stripmall driveways. I'd go Hausmann on the city.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this the second phase of the unfinished Briley Parkway/White Bridge Rd./I-40 connection?

I-40 lanes to close tonight

Closures near White Bridge Road will affect travel in both directions.

JENNY UPCHURCH • MARCH 25, 2010

Tennessee Department of Transportation2_bing.gif crews will close lanes on Interstate 40 near White Bridge Road from 8 p.m. tonight to 5 a.m. Friday.

I-40 will be reduced to one lane in each direction. .

The lane closures are necessary to protect carsfrom welding sparks from work on the steel beams that cross over I-40.

The $32 million project will be completed in May 2011.

Is this the second phase of the unfinished Briley Parkway/White Bridge Rd./I-40 connection?

Yes. The steel beams for the fly-over ramps have been installed. They were installing steel deck between the beams from the south side last time I drove by, so I'm guessing they'll be installing deck over the interstate lanes.

• 2 months later...

The MPO has relaesed their 25 year vision for transit in the area. I like some of what i see, but i think the timeline is too long. I would love this plan if it were a ten year vision instead of 25 year.

For real. Some of us may be too dead to enjoy the fruits of this plan.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, i created a facebook group called "Bring Amtrak Back to Nashville" if anyone wants to join. I'm not sure what the URL is (i'm not to tech savy), but a simple search ought to find it for you.

Hope you guys like it, and i hope you join. If anyone has suggestions for the page, or would like to make additions or be a moderator, let me know. I know facebook groups are kinda pointless for getting things done, but a little awareness never hurt anyone.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything about how well the Music City Circuit routes are doing?

I very much enjoy having the circulator as an option.. but I would like to see a couple improvements made to it someday.

For one.. it seems like the 'every 15 minutes' (for the Gulch route at least) doesn't always pan out.. there have been times when I watch the bus drive away, and stand there and wait more than 15 minutes for the next one to come.. one thing I think that could help this (if it is feasible anyway), would be to have a 'Gulch station' somewhat like the Riverfront station.. this could just simply be a designated parking space along one of the roads in the Gulch.. but the point is to have a place for the bus to stop for a few minutes and wait for the other bus(es) to catch up, or whatever it is they do when they sit at the Riverfront station for a few minutes. Today, the bus sat at Riverfront (with us on it) for about 8 minutes as they changed drivers.

Another thing.. i'd like to see the bus routes run on Sunday's. Or if nothing else.. on Sunday's when there are events going on downtown. There has been many times when I would have ridden the MCC on a Sunday, but couldn't.. because it doesn't run.

Oh and btw, I like how they added the GPS announcements like other bus routes have.. should be very useful for tourists and others not so familiar with downtown Nashville.

• 1 month later...

So i took my first ride on the Gallatin Rd. BRT today. Had to drop the car off at the dealership and skipped their free shuttle to give the BRT a try. I give it mixed reviews.

Pros;

1. Nice buses- the articulated hybrid's are nice (and clean for now).

2. Limited stops- It's nice to not stop every few blocks. It does seem to speed things up.

3. Frequent headway- The buses were true to the "every 15 minutes"

4. Stop shelters- Not too fancy, but at least give the impression of a serious route and a place to stay dry. The information systems are handy. It's a wonder more MTA stops are not as decent.

Cons;

1. Signal Priority- or lack thereof. I was hoping that by now that buses would have transponders to give them light priority. Maybe the lights have been timed to a schedule the buses can follow, but it didn't seem to work.

2. Overlaps with local buses- The BRT often got stuck behind the local service bus and wouldn't pass. It could be that they are prohibited from passing, or just simply don't want to risk it. Still causes delays.

3. Too many stops- It seems like there are too many stops for such a short distance. I think it is 14 stops in 12 miles. I would think that since the BRT overlaps with the local service line, that they could space the stops further apart and offer free transfers to local service. I actually suggested this at a meeting, but obviously they didn't listen.

4. Lack of WiFi- It would be a nice touch to attract middle-class commuters.

All in all, i give it a slight thumbs up. BRT needs true dedicated lanes IMO, but i understand this would be a huge expense. Signal priority could augment the lack of that, but the reality is that Gallatin Rd. is almost exclusively suburban in design. It will be hard to make that work properly.

Given the minimal expense needed for this type of system, it's hard to imagine why they havent already started similar routes along Murfreesboro, Franklin, Hillsboro, Charlotte, and Clarksville Rd's.

Nashvillewill,

Strong assessment of BRT. Glad you tried it.

Jice,

Music City Circuit is in solid ridership shape. Blue Line (Bicentennial Mall) is getting 22 riders per hour, while the Green Line (Gulch) is luring seven riders per hour (that needs to improve, no doubt). MTA soon to start a lunch-hour purple line to service Metro's Fulton Complex in SoBro.

WW

So i took my first ride on the Gallatin Rd. BRT today. Had to drop the car off at the dealership and skipped their free shuttle to give the BRT a try. I give it mixed reviews.

Pros;

1. Nice buses- the articulated hybrid's are nice (and clean for now).

2. Limited stops- It's nice to not stop every few blocks. It does seem to speed things up.

3. Frequent headway- The buses were true to the "every 15 minutes"

4. Stop shelters- Not too fancy, but at least give the impression of a serious route and a place to stay dry. The information systems are handy. It's a wonder more MTA stops are not as decent.

Cons;

1. Signal Priority- or lack thereof. I was hoping that by now that buses would have transponders to give them light priority. Maybe the lights have been timed to a schedule the buses can follow, but it didn't seem to work.

2. Overlaps with local buses- The BRT often got stuck behind the local service bus and wouldn't pass. It could be that they are prohibited from passing, or just simply don't want to risk it. Still causes delays.

3. Too many stops- It seems like there are too many stops for such a short distance. I think it is 14 stops in 12 miles. I would think that since the BRT overlaps with the local service line, that they could space the stops further apart and offer free transfers to local service. I actually suggested this at a meeting, but obviously they didn't listen.

4. Lack of WiFi- It would be a nice touch to attract middle-class commuters.

All in all, i give it a slight thumbs up. BRT needs true dedicated lanes IMO, but i understand this would be a huge expense. Signal priority could augment the lack of that, but the reality is that Gallatin Rd. is almost exclusively suburban in design. It will be hard to make that work properly.

Given the minimal expense needed for this type of system, it's hard to imagine why they havent already started similar routes along Murfreesboro, Franklin, Hillsboro, Charlotte, and Clarksville Rd's.

About signal priority; I was involved in these discussions a couple of years ago. At the time it was decided not to install emitters, such as emergency vehicles have to change the light to green, because the City was installing fiber optic cable all over the city to allow interconnection of all signals to a central location downtown. The signals would be controlled from the central point to coordinate with GPS devices on each bus. As the bus approaches a signal, the light will turn green.

I am retired now, so I do not know what progress has been made toward this goal, but maybe the are pretty close. Apparently, the bus lines became operational before the Traffic Management Center came on line.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or has MTA bought several new buses recently that are identical to that used on the Gallatin BRT? I've noticed this style of bus on several different lines.. including the West End line.

Does this mean they will expand upon BRT soon? Or are they just trying to confuse everybody by using BRT buses on non-BRT lines.

Is it just me, or has MTA bought several new buses recently that are identical to that used on the Gallatin BRT? I've noticed this style of bus on several different lines.. including the West End line.

Does this mean they will expand upon BRT soon? Or are they just trying to confuse everybody by using BRT buses on non-BRT lines.

Jice,

I noticed a "BRT-like bus" on West End Avenue last night at about 7. You raise an interesting question. I do not know.

WW

I haven't heard of any new bus purchases. I suspect they're still just trying to manage their remaining buses after the flood. You'll see a good number of buses on loan from Cincinatti and Memphis also. I remember a time maybe six or seven years ago when maintenance was so behind that my regular ride was on one of those goofy red and green trollies.

Archived