Transit in Nashville

FrijolMalo

MTA to hold public input meetings next week...

http://sylvanpark.blogspot.com/2008/11/mta...-regarding.html

* Monday, Nov. 17, 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Madison Library (610 Gallatin Pike South)

* Tuesday, Nov. 18, 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. at Music City Central's Community Meeting Room (400 Charlotte Avenue)

* Tuesday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Easley Community Center at Rose Park (1000 Edgehill Avenue)

* Wednesday, Nov. 19, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Bordeaux Library (4000 Clarksville Pike)

* Wednesday, Nov. 19, 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at University School of Nashville (2000 Edgehill Avenue)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the chances that some of the potential economic stimulus will get devoted to mass transit here in Nashville?

I have not seen the entire list of projects for TN, but it looked to me like mass transit was way way down the list. As in, after the first $1 Billion (if we get that much) is spent on roads and bridges.

Is it even possible??

What are the chances that some of the potential economic stimulus will get devoted to mass transit here in Nashville?

I have not seen the entire list of projects for TN, but it looked to me like mass transit was way way down the list. As in, after the first $1 Billion (if we get that much) is spent on roads and bridges.

Is it even possible??

I would immagine that what you saw was for the MTA as it stands now (busses only and perhaps the MCS). That federal money isn't allowed to fund LRT or BRT here because metro has yet to approve a dedicated funding source. Once that happens, the flood gates will open. I'm frightened that voters will shoot down any funding source due to a bad economy though and I feel like they would WANT to anyway but now they have an excuse to do so. Some, ...no a LOT of comments on the Tennessean website are so negative and people are mad that we're even funding public art. People hate taxes and a dedicated mass transit source would equal more taxes in some shape or form. Perhaps that's just me being pessemistic though. Gas prices are expected to skyrocket again in 2010 past what we were even paying 6 months ago. Maybe that will wake up the public to mass transit options.

I would immagine that what you saw was for the MTA as it stands now (busses only and perhaps the MCS). That federal money isn't allowed to fund LRT or BRT here because metro has yet to approve a dedicated funding source. Once that happens, the flood gates will open. I'm frightened that voters will shoot down any funding source due to a bad economy though and I feel like they would WANT to anyway but now they have an excuse to do so. Some, ...no a LOT of comments on the Tennessean website are so negative and people are mad that we're even funding public art. People hate taxes and a dedicated mass transit source would equal more taxes in some shape or form. Perhaps that's just me being pessemistic though. Gas prices are expected to skyrocket again in 2010 past what we were even paying 6 months ago. Maybe that will wake up the public to mass transit options.

Sadly you are right. I am afraid it wouldn't pass either. People are having a false sense of security with the low gas prices now and think they will last forever. Just wait till gas prices go back up, very soon, then people will talk about mass transit again. Hopefully, those that post on the TN that are negative are the minority.

Sometimes I wish Nashville was a dictatorship led by us on urbanplanet :)

Touche my friend, touche.

In response to gas prices skyrocketing in 2010, I think that starting a more efficient mass transit for Nashville then would be too late. I think it needs to be in the works now, while the costs of goods (steel, concrete, etc) are still relatively low (comparing to if gas were $5-7/gal).

Sadly, I think Obama's infrastructure plans only include federal projects, not municipal ones.

I'm not entirely sure of the details.. but I saw mention of mass transit in the stimulus plans.

It sorta makes me feel sorry for Nashville when I see articles about how NYC is expected to get $4 Billion just for mass transit.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12292008/news/...ated_146318.htm

$20B nationwide for mass transit, supposedly.. but will any of that make it here? Doubtful. As others have mentioned, the general public here seems to not be open to the necessary steps to get this going. I sure hope we're wrong, though.

^^^ if i remember correctly, the money given out in the stimulus plan, only went to projects that were "shovel ready". I think if Nashville had something on the table(planned, approved) just awaiting funds, we would have gotten them. I could be wrong, but that is the way i read into things.

Any word on the east-side BRT? Dean talked about it so often, but i haven't heard about it since before the holidays.

edit; as far as NYC getting 4 billion, i think it is justified. NYC MTA is one of the most proven systems in the world. A 2nd Ave. line is desperately needed. For one of the world's best connected cities, the East Side is certainly left out.

Oh I agree that $4B for NYC is probably justifiable.. that city is awesome for mass transit.

It just makes me feel bad for Nashville... cause here we are, without any real concrete plans, or even possibly without the public will to support any potential plans.. and the feds are just going to pass us by as they hand out funding for transit.. kinda sad I think.

• 1 month later...

I dont know how i missed this last week.. but here ya go..

Wheels in motion for dedicated mass transit funding

State legislation that many consider one of the first steps toward creating dedicated funding for mass transportation in Tennessee was filed earlier this month.

First, it would allow other major municipalities in Tennessee to establish their own Regional Transportation Authority, like the one already in place for Middle Tennessee.

It would then allow a local RTA to take one of two routes in order to establish a dedicated funding source for regional transportation. An RTA could take a dedicated funding proposal to voters for a referendum, or it could ask a local legislative body like Metro Council to pass a law created a new funding source for mass transit.

Yeah.. light rail would be nice.

Honestly though.. i would be happy (-er) with the bus system, if it had more frequent stops, and of course more routes.

I know some are going to have issues with riding the bus just because... its a bus. But the main reason I dont ride it as often as i'd like is just because I dont have time to wait 30 minutes or more for the next bus to show up.

Some light rail would be nice since the bus system here sucks; only one hub! Ridiculous!

At a recent public hearing MTA discussed introducing several 'mini-hubs' around town. Sounded like they were fairly deep into the planning stages for it.

on edit: oh, and nashvillwill, they also said BRT along the #26 route to Gallatin (and a bit beyond) is also on the way.

At a recent public hearing MTA discussed introducing several 'mini-hubs' around town. Sounded like they were fairly deep into the planning stages for it.

on edit: oh, and nashvillwill, they also said BRT along the #26 route to Gallatin (and a bit beyond) is also on the way.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

When are these public hearings?

I saw today that the NC's TransitNow group is presenting at a CityThink meeting next week - regarding a downtown circulator. Next Tuesday I believe.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

When are these public hearings?

I saw today that the NC's TransitNow group is presenting at a CityThink meeting next week - regarding a downtown circulator. Next Tuesday I believe.

There were a few days of hearings in January, and IIRC they will have a few more this month to announce their final proposal. Some info here: http://www.nashvillemta.org/PDF/MTA_MasterPlan.pdf

I'm going to try to be at the CityThink meeting Tuesday if I can sneak out from work.

There were a few days of hearings in January, and IIRC they will have a few more this month to announce their final proposal. Some info here: http://www.nashvillemta.org/PDF/MTA_MasterPlan.pdf

I'm going to try to be at the CityThink meeting Tuesday if I can sneak out from work.

Thanks for the link.. i knew about the meetings in November.. but didnt realize there were others.

Looking around online.. so far i havent found the dates for the March meetings.

Possibly more good news for us.. BRT!

Buses drive stimulus plan

Real-time schedule updates

About $7 million is slated to buy four new hybrid-drive buses to start a Gallatin Road route for bus rapid transit, which uses smart technology and fewer stops to reduce time. Bus shelters also would be improved along the route.

Another $4 million would be used to upgrade the MTA operations and maintenance facility on Nestor Street, a transformed aircraft factory.

RTA will use about $3.2 million to rehab one of three locomotives for the Music City Star commuter train.

Plus we could potentially see more money if others fail to use their stimulus (Murf is getting an extra $1.8mil that they didnt even need or have plans for ?!?!)

• 3 weeks later...

Infrastructure Report card was released yesterday.. giving the state an overall C grade.

The lowest grade on the report... surprise!... Transit got a D.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/19054531/detail.html#-

Transit: D

The report said that areas serviced by public transit are somewhat limited in both urban and rural areas of Tennessee. In order to meet the projected 27 percent growth in urban ridership by 2025, additional investments are needed.

The Metro Transit Authority has not had a chance to study the report, but the study said the state could spend $14 billion over the next 15 years to meet the increased demand.

• 2 weeks later...

I got invited to ride on the new hybrid bus today, pretty cool! Pictures here: http://www.nashtransit.com/2009/04/that-new-bus-smell.html

Thanks for the link.. i knew about the meetings in November.. but didnt realize there were others.

Looking around online.. so far i havent found the dates for the March meetings.

I asked someone from MTA about that - turns out they decided they needed a little more time to go over their plans. They're looking towards June for the next round of hearings.

It seems like these hybrids will save the MTA money over time in fuel costs. I hope they keep their current budget, pool the extra cash, and put it towards more improvments instead of just operating on less money. Doubt that'll happen though or even if the money saved will amount to that much. Thoughts?

The MTA CEO says (see video) that with $2/gallon fuel, the extra cost of the hybrid buses is "pretty much a wash" over the life of the bus. But if oil goes back up again, the savings are bigger. Hopefully one of these days, hybrid vehicles won't be so much more expensive.

Archived