North Carolina or South Carolina

MacInToshAA

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Carolina is better for retirees. Better tax breaks, etc. Its the reason so many are moving to the Lowcountry (and other places too). That and its less expensive than Florida, with more land to develop than Georgia.

That is true but a lot of communties in the eastern part of the state are starting to cater to the halfbacks. NC has too many roads to maintain which is part of the heavy taxation. At any rate I don't think there is a huge disparity between eastern NC/SC property tax etc...burdern. Unless you smoke or drink I really don't see any other tax rate that can really hurt you other than the gas tax. Not sure what SC gas tax stands at now. NC is pretty much middle of the pack as far as overall tax burden.

That is true but a lot of communties in the eastern part of the state are starting to cater to the halfbacks. NC has too many roads to maintain which is part of the heavy taxation. At any rate I don't think there is a huge disparity between eastern NC/SC property tax etc...burdern. Unless you smoke or drink I really don't see any other tax rate that can really hurt you other than the gas tax. Not sure what SC gas tax stands at now. NC is pretty much middle of the pack as far as overall tax burden.

You gotta have taxes to pay for civic programs. New roads (I-73/74) and loops for every city in state have to be paid forward somehow. IMO this is the outcome of poor management of funds from decades ago and not forseeing the growth spurt the state is experiencing. Also school, infrastructure upgrades and intercity rail service is all paid and subsidized by the state. OK back on topic...I just wanted to mention that southern Brunswick county should see rising property values as the new port becomes reality. The forcast is upwards of 50K jobs could be created in the Wilmington area because of both ports expansion efforts. I guess its just comes down to personal choice and the economics of it all.

Archived