Polk & Union?

HopeGardensGuy

I attempted to enter the building here, which I think used to be the old Library. Had most recently been part of Metro Government. HOWEVER, now it's empty, locked up, and has a demolition sign posted on it!

Google Map

demolish.jpg

Seems like pretty prime downtown real estate, but I don't know that I can recall discussion of anything happening there.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not aware that there was a demolition permit for this property. The story behind this property at one time was that the land was to be used for a library because it was donated to the City of Nashville for a library. When the library moved the Metro offices were moved here while the City/County building was being renovated. They actually had a library in the building because of the land deal. If this is going to be demolished, this is certainly news and the legal office of Metro must have looked into this.

This is something for one of our news/media people to get a hold of see what the scoop is.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was not aware that there was a demolition permit for this property. The story behind this property at one time was that the land was to be used for a library because it was donated to the City of Nashville for a library. When the library moved the Metro offices were moved here while the City/County building was being renovated. They actually had a library in the building because of the land deal. If this is going to be demolished, this is certainly news and the legal office of Metro must have looked into this.

This is something for one of our news/media people to get a hold of see what the scoop is.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am almost certian what smeagolsfree stated in regards to this property was and is the case in terms of it's legal status. If the site is set for demolition it must have reverted to the original owners via the land deal set forth decades ago and/or a new deal has been cut with the city in regards to the property. It's a prime piece of property, and I am sure if the owners wanted it back at this point the "little library" was not going to keep it in city hands if they didn't want it to remain so.

Being not privy to the actual details of the arrangement we can only go on what we understand to be the story behind the property

of course.:unsure:;) Very interesting news none the less.

I am almost certian what smeagolsfree stated in regards to this property was and is the case in terms of it's legal status. If the site is set for demolition it must have reverted to the original owners via the land deal set forth decades ago and/or a new deal has been cut with the city in regards to the property. It's a prime piece of property, and I am sure if the owners wanted it back at this point the "little library" was not going to keep it in city hands if they didn't want it to remain so.

Being not privy to the actual details of the arrangement we can only go on what we understand to be the story behind the property

of course.:unsure:;) Very interesting news none the less.

Well, I did go by again, and there is indeed a Demolition Permit posted there. It's on the Polk Street side, where the main entrance to Metro Gov had been. It's on an interior door, so I couldn't get right up to it, but it appeared that it had been written in March or May of 2007.

I've always liked this building. I hope it is kept as it is and put to some good use. I like the architectual facade with the contrasting white stone arches and dark glass. Very 60's, but well done and pleasing to look at.

As for uses, I would like to see a community performing arts center that would allow non-professional arts groups to perform and present recitals. Schools are not always available and there is a need for such a resource. This facility has two large ante-rooms on the ground level sutable for dance recitals (if a small stage were built) and a community theater space on the other side. It has a small auditorium downstairs, good for recitals and a number of meeting rooms upstairs suitable for master classes and art exhibitions.

But, alas. Every attempt I know of to create some city facililty serving the performing arts has been dumbed down by the parks board, mindless bureaucrats into some unrecognizable meeting room or sports facility. One could only wish, however.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ben West library is mentioned in this article.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=60294

With a demolition permit on the door, I don't see how the public could have access to the small [probably useless] library inside. I'd like to know if the public actually has access to the library maintained in this building. If not, it seems the property should revert to the owners.

I wonder if Metro is cheating on this one. I dont think the building is even open. I would push it to the extreme and force it to go back to the original family. Maybe they will do something with it. As it stands right now, its an empty Metro eyesore, but I forget, they have a lot of those around. Vacant schools, portable school buildings, and vacant lots to name a few. It seems as if government entities dont have to abide by the same laws John Q. Public has too.

The Ben West library is mentioned in this article.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=60294

With a demolition permit on the door, I don't see how the public could have access to the small [probably useless] library inside. I'd like to know if the public actually has access to the library maintained in this building. If not, it seems the property should revert to the owners.

I wonder if there is a separate entrance elsewhere around the perimeter of the building? That would be the way around this - when the entrance with the demo permit was the main Metro entrance, I don't think you could get to any non-Metro resources in the building, assuming they were there back then.

Curious...

Archived