Argenta

On 11/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, skirby said:

Monday will be a big day for Argenta with the City Council approving the construction of a three story office building to be located at 600 Main. The Council will also approve appropriating funds for the unnamed plaza to be constructed on the next block. Also, a press release has been sent out concerning an announcement Monday detailing the construction of a multi-story office building next to the plaza.  This new building will become the headquarters for a tech company.

First Orion announced they will be locating to a new HQ building on  the 500 block of Main. The planned 6 story building will hold a workforce of 200 plus some retail space on the ground flood.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skirby said:

First Orion announced they will be locating to a new HQ building on  the 500 block of Main. The planned 6 story building will hold a workforce of 200 plus some retail space on the ground flood.

26 minutes ago, Architect said:

Great new urban infill and tenant!

I wonder how long before we hear the outcry that the building is too tall for the historic district. Before  Argenta Place was built it was to be five floors but  ended up being three. There was also talk about the design not fitting in and that was changed also. Lets hope times have changed.

22 hours ago, skirby said:

So will the building actually be on Main Street or will it be on a newly-extended Poplar Street?    The image below makes it appear to be on Poplar.  It will be good to get that area east of Main Street developed.  Right now all it does is serve as parking for Verizon events.  

First Orion.jpg

NLR will be rebuilding the street grid but I think the address will be Main Street. The plaza will be between the building and Main Street and the building will face the plaza and Main Street.  Look for construction to start soon on the plaza and the building is scheduled to open in January 2019. 

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Aleck said:

Has anything been further announced on the Smarhouse Way/Argenta Waterfront District project? It’s been a while since it’s been talked about.

When it was announced the time frame was stated to be at least 18 months before construction started. At the time of  the public announcement for the First Orion project it was indicated that the project was still a go.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skirby said:

The plaza will be known as Argenta Plaza and work is scheduled to start in April.

Somehow, I sense enough momentum on this "Argenta" thing that I could see NLR officially changing their name at some point in the future.  That being said, I think that would be a mistake.  In fact, I'm a proponent of Little Rock and North Little Rock merging (or more accurately, "getting back together" after all these years).

10 minutes ago, Architect said:

Somehow, I sense enough momentum on this "Argenta" thing that I could see NLR officially changing their name at some point in the future.  That being said, I think that would be a mistake.  In fact, I'm a proponent of Little Rock and North Little Rock merging (or more accurately, "getting back together" after all these years).

NLR/Argenta should go back to being the 8th ward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skirby said:

NLR/Argenta should go back to being the 8th ward.

Little Rock, North Little Rock,  Sherwood, Cammack Village, Pulaski County and all other local incorporated communities should be merged into one governmental entity like Miami/Dade County or Louisville Metro (Louisville and Jefferson County).  It makes too much sense so it will never happen here.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

Little Rock, North Little Rock,  Sherwood, Cammack Village, Pulaski County and all other local incorporated communities should be merged into one governmental entity like Miami/Dade County or Louisville Metro (Louisville and Jefferson County).  It makes too much sense so it will never happen here.  

I completely agree.  There was "some" momentum on this in the late 1980's early 1990's as I recall, then stirred up again when both Central Arkansas Water formed (merger of local utilities), and when Warren Stephens was promoting it.  The world is getting ever smaller and more competitive, so arguably, there's as much or more rationale for this than ever before.

p.s.  Other examples:  Nashville and Lexington, KY

35 minutes ago, Architect said:

I completely agree.  There was "some" momentum on this in the late 1980's early 1990's as I recall, then stirred up again when both Central Arkansas Water formed (merger of local utilities), and when Warren Stephens was promoting it.  The world is getting ever smaller and more competitive, so arguably, there's as much or more rationale for this than ever before.

p.s.  Other examples:  Nashville and Lexington, KY

I didn't think Lexington and Fayette County had merged but found out they did way back in the day.  While searching I came across this bill in the Kentucky legislature to consolidate its 100 counties into 34 larger counties.  Kentucky House Bill 243.  It's sitting in the Kentucky Local Government Committee.   Here's a news article about it.  New Counties, New Names, New County Seats...

This would never even be considered in Arkansas.  Bugtussle would raise a ruckus! 

10 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

The City of Miami and Miami-Dade County are two very seperate entities.

• 2 months later...

Rendering of Argenta Plaza showing the plaza and three new buildings to be constructed. The two buildings facing the plaza will be the Orion HQ and the Power + Ice building and across the street facing Main will be the NLR Convention and Visitors Bureau building.

9sIiX8.jpg

Rendering of Argenta Plaza showing the plaza and three new buildings to be constructed. The two buildings facing the plaza will be the Orion HQ and the Power + Ice building and across the street facing Main will be the NLR Convention and Visitors Bureau building.
9sIiX8.jpg&key=a7d66731b2d777c4ea8fd4524cb4882dce4515b12e6f4b13e0f0b3878d352719

I believe Taggart Architects are involved in this early planning. Nice work so far. I really like it, though I always wonder why larger (taller) mixed-use buildings aren’t considered more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Architect said:

I believe Taggart Architects are involved in this early planning. Nice work so far. I really like it, though I always wonder why larger (taller) mixed-use buildings aren’t considered more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taggart will be moving into the NRLC&V building and the Power + Ice Building will have 12 apartment units in the mix.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2017 at 12:46 PM, skirby said:

Plans have been released for the Smarthouse Way property on the west side of the Broadway Bridge. The project will be known as the Argenta Waterfront District and will include a 92,000 sq. ft. hotel, a 244,000 sq. ft. high-rise and a 89,000 sq. ft. mid-rise apartment building. The largest building will include offices and condos. What makes this different from other proposals for this property is the property has been purchased from the city.

0QpGnm.jpg

Plans have changed for this development. The office part of the project is no longer included. The apartment development will include 210 units and renderings should be available within a few months with construction to start by the end of the year. Also, the developers are in talks to develop the  hotel part of the project. Last night the NLR City Council voted to reduce Riverfront Drive from 4 lanes to two to allow on street parking.

In other Argenta news part of the Thrive development is now open.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:56 PM, skirby said:

9sIiX8.jpg

A groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday for Orion's new  headquarters (tallest building). KTHV reports that construction should start next month.