Is the Inferno ditching Columbia?

krazeeboi

Everything that I've read about the deal says otherwise. I'm not saying that they are 100% correct, but if you have a few sources to share, I'd certainly be more than willing to read them.

I mean really, how can you compare Atlanta and Columbia here? The difference between the size of their downtowns and the population bases are too drastic to make an adequate comparison here. And secondly, I agree with Spartan. Multi-purpose arenas (like the Colonial Center) typically have enough events to sustain activity throughout a good part of the year, but that's not the case with ballparks or smaller arenas. A set-up like what Atlanta has would be system overload for downtown Columbia.

In some cases, they are just plain selfish and come across as being threatened that another player is interested at having a seat at the table, and in doing so, they forget that they are part of a larger community. And the way city leaders seem to bow at just about every wish and command of USC (sometimes to its benefit, sometimes to its detriment), the results would be the same. Furthermore, while many hold college sports in higher regard than professional sports in some instances, I think it plays entirely too dominant a role in the structure of universities these days anyway. Their major purpose is to educate, not give passing grades to student athletes who don't deserve them. It's no surprise that most Ivy League schools aren't known for sports because they know what the real focus is.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think joint use is the way to go. Why waste valuable downtown land, which could be used for more downtown housing or whatever, on another baseball field or arena? USC's baseball field will sit empty for over half the year and it wouldn't hurt to have more events at the Colonial Center, so why not take full advantage of such facilities and let everyone in the city enjoy it, not just USC fans. I think it would be a win-win for both USC who would make money by leasing the ballpark/arena, and for the lessee who would have a great place to play at a great location, downtown. I'm a huge USC fan, but I'd like to see more choices for everyone.

Is the college baseball season at the opposite time of the year as pro baseball? Obviously pro goes a little more into the fall than college... I just don't know that you'd get a whole years worth of entertainment. Also, is USC not building in the ability to have concerts at the stadium anymore? I thought that was in the original scope of the project.

Archived