Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miesian Corners

Is President Bush irrelevant now?

17 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to what y'all think. Is anyone paying any attention to Dubya these days? Does anything he says really matter to Americans anymore? After his speech today about how horrible the economy is and how there is no easy fix and how just recently (last month) he said that things weren't so bad, I can't help but wonder if anyone really cares what he says? Is he really that out of touch? Is he the earliest lame duck president ever?

I don't even pay much attention to him these days. He became pretty irrevelant once the Democrats took control of congress. Only thing I can recall that he almost got (and only because he and the Democrats agreed on it) was the Immigration Bill.

Bush is completely irrelevant ever since Hurricane Katrina, IMO. I think he's the American Nero, fiddlin' while American burns...

Was Bush ever really relevant? I mean he's great for late night comedians and those hilarious Bushisms that make it clear he shouldn't speak in public.

That's what happens when you have a lame duck president. The only time I really hear about him is when Clinton or Obama bash him and McCain distances himself away.

he's been leaking oil since day one.

Bush is completely irrelevant ever since Hurricane Katrina, IMO. I think he's the American Nero, fiddlin' while American burns...

For non-presidential things like meeting with sports teams he has been hysterical. With both the Red Sox and the Giants he made some great noteworthy quotes. I think he is much more comfortable there, and should be back in sports and away from any for of governing.

Bush's best bet is, and has always been, to stay quiet and out of the news. It's not a coincidence that every time he gets publicly involved in a major issue, the end result is a big fiasco. He's better off staying on the sidelines and showing up at photo-ops.

When was he ever relevant? I saw through he like glass and knew he was a moron in 2000 even before I was eligible to vote. I just shake my head and say "I told you so" to all the folks that voted for him in 2000 & 2004.

^Aww, but didn't you even consider what a great guy he would be to have a beer with? Who wants some intelligent, cultured elitist to lead the world's only superpower? [/sarcasm]

Bush certainly was relevent, not because he was a great president, but because for so long, most of this country was oblivious to what a horrible president he was, despite the evidence staring them in the face. If the American people were actually paying attention, he still may have won the presidency in 2000, because he falsely campaigned as a moderate. However, the instant he was sworn in, the Republican-led Congress became nothing more than a rubber stamp of approval on all his far-right initiatives. The Congress should have been given overwhelmingly to the Democrats in 2002, but of course much of this country was wrapped in the neo-fascist notion that only our one great leader could protect us, that to be in opposition was treason. By the time enough people realized how awful Bush's policies were, he had had six years to push through whatever he wanted. The damage was done.

Bush was relevant because his presidency has undone the better part of a century of progress in this country.

Bush was relevant because his presidency has undone the better part of a century of progress in this country.

I think he has been irrelevant since the fiasco of the immigration debate when he said, 'I'll see you at the bill signing.' Of course, Congress rebelled, and there never was a bill signing. That was proof that any shred of political power he may have once held was gone.

Sad, but largely true. Thank God he's now one of the lamest of lame ducks. His party will lose even more ground in Congress this election year, so thankfully another know-nothing like him won't have a rubber stamp in the legislative branch any time soon.

I think Bush is still very very relevant. He it keeping us in a war that is breaking the financial back of the United States, maintains an economic policy that continues to favor big business and the oil companies at the expense of everyone else, and behind the scenes continues to gut federal agencies that provide protections and services to the people.

If anything else, Bush could start pulling us out of Iraq tomorrow but that would require him to admit he was wrong which isn't able to do. So he is very relevant on this fact alone. So while people are dying in Iraq, we have a president that choses to get on stage and dance like there isn't a care in the world.