Preds Owner Freeman Close To Buying Baseball Team

titanhog

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any speculation of the Diamond Jaxx moving to Nashville, or anywheres else, at this point probably off point. All indications are that the new ownership plans on mending fences with the community here in Jackson and make baseball work again. A lot of the burnt briges with the community have been on the mend over the last two years since the new lease was signed, with the team being WAY more pro-active in its marketing and activity within the region, esp. within Jackson proper. There is even talk of re-branding of the team to make it more "Jackson" orientated and less "West Tennessee", and with high gas prices this may be the way to go at this juncture.

Attendence was up last year, and I believe attendence is off to a good start so far this year from I hear and read. So things appear to be turning around already as far as local support and enthusiasm goes.

The first few seasons the city and region clearly showed it could support this team enthusiatically, so there is no reason to think with proper marketing and PR this will not be the case with the new ownership. In fact the new ownership is walking into a local environment much more inclined for success then has historically been the case over the history of the franchise. The Christmasville exit off I-40 is booming with development that was until the last two years non-existant. A huge city-owned multi-field "travel-ball" facility was finished last year, two large retail tracts are underway, and a very large mall is planned to start taking shape in the next year or two. One has to think the addition of dining, shopping, and other entertainment options immedietely adjacent to the park will help make the team an easier sell to consumers then when the stadium sat off the city's last exit all by itself with only a few nice modern factories as neighbors.

Nashville is more AAA anyways as has been stated by others, it would be far larger than most of it's peers in the Southern League aside from Birmingham and Jacksonville. I mean I can't rule out the new ownership will bail on Jackson if the opportunity arises to move the team to Nashville, but at this point the coniditions (ie the loss of the Sounds, Southern League approval, etc) are not in place and I have to take the new ownership on their word that they want to make the team work here. I for one would definitely miss attending games, as its good and affordable entertainment provided by professional atheletes - which is something we here in Jackson should be proud of having in our city and not take for granted.

Yes...I agree that he will probably keep the team in Jackson, but the paper says the lease is up at Pringles Park at the end of this season. I'm assuming they'll get the lease worked out or they'll have a nice, empty stadium sitting there, which I imagine Jackson wouldn't want.

I hope they stay there, for Jackson's sake...and I also hope the Sounds work out something to get a new park here.

Yes...I agree that he will probably keep the team in Jackson, but the paper says the lease is up at Pringles Park at the end of this season. I'm assuming they'll get the lease worked out or they'll have a nice, empty stadium sitting there, which I imagine Jackson wouldn't want.

I hope they stay there, for Jackson's sake...and I also hope the Sounds work out something to get a new park here.

Word on the street is the Mayors office was succesful in burying the proposed legislation the Sounds backed last week that would allow for useage of State tax dollars to fund a stadium. Guess you shouldn't mess with City Hall when asked to leave things alone. Might Mr. Freeman be the answer to this puzzle?

Word on the street is the Mayors office was succesful in burying the proposed legislation the Sounds backed last week that would allow for useage of State tax dollars to fund a stadium. Guess you shouldn't mess with City Hall when asked to leave things alone. Might Mr. Freeman be the answer to this puzzle?

Archived