CONSTRUCTION THREAD: St. Francis at Millennium Campus

gs3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Looks like construction may be starting soon on St. Francis at Millennium Campus. I was down Laurens Road this morning and major clearing / site prep has started at the entrance to Millennium Campus where St. Francis is planned. :thumbsup::thumbsup: This will be a large construction project to watch.

Exciting news! :shades:

It will be more difficult to get info on this project since St. Francis is a private hospital. It makes sense that this will be a full-scale hospital though, as there are not really any hospitals in the vicinity (despite a lot of people living within a 5-10 mile radius of the Millennium Campus).

As an aside, I think St. Francis is a very good hospital. There are some phenomenal physicians and allied health professionals there, which I think is a direct extension of the Bon Secours philosophy of care. We can feel very proud to have St. Francis in Greenville. :thumbsup:

Exciting news! :shades:

It will be more difficult to get info on this project since St. Francis is a private hospital. It makes sense that this will be a full-scale hospital though, as there are not really any hospitals in the vicinity (despite a lot of people living within a 5-10 mile radius of the Millennium Campus).

As an aside, I think St. Francis is a very good hospital. There are some phenomenal physicians and allied health professionals there, which I think is a direct extension of the Bon Secours philosophy of care. We can feel very proud to have St. Francis in Greenville. :thumbsup:

Impressive! Thanks for the investigative work!

I rode by this evening to check out the size of the cleared land and such. I was surprised to see a GC sign out there so early in the game. I guess this really is starting up! The size of the land currently cleared isn't that large. I hope it pushes this thing vertical and involves a parking garage.

Impressive! Thanks for the investigative work!

I rode by this evening to check out the size of the cleared land and such. I was surprised to see a GC sign out there so early in the game. I guess this really is starting up! The size of the land currently cleared isn't that large. I hope it pushes this thing vertical and involves a parking garage.

I am curious to know how this will impact the main St. Francis hospital downtown. I assume that it will continue to operate as we know it, as will St. Francis Women's & Family hospital at Patewood. I also think this new St. Francis hospital at Millennium Campus has the potential to have some height. :thumbsup:

For reference, MUSC's Ashley River Tower is a new seven-story, 156-bed hospital that cost just under $400 million. It specializes in heart and digestive issues, so the equipment is perhaps more specialized than a regular hospital requires.

http://www.ashleyrivertower.com/

I will be curious to see what $100 million will purchase when it comes to St. Francis at Millennium Campus. It should provide more beds than MUSC's Ashley River Tower, especially if it is comparable in height.

True about the banners. I would love to see a parking garage built ACROSS the street (the two lane, not Laurens Rd). The pedestrian traffic crossing that road would give off a nice vibe. I think it could be done safely, too.

Despite the small size of the City Limits of Greenville, would I be correct in saying that all 3 St Francis locations (downtown, eastside, and millennium) are in the City of Greenville (with downtown being the one I question the most)? The are all right on the edge.

Ironically the downtown hospital may be the only one that isn't in the city limits. I don't know for sure, but when you are coming in on 123, i don't think the city limit sign is until you reach Pendleton st, which is past the campus. Unless the city line does a zig-zag and encompasses it, which is possible. This is one of those crazy areas (with the area around Pete Hollis being just as crazy) in greenville where places that are literally within a few hundred yards of the CBD is not even within the city limits! :wacko: Not sure there are too many (if any) other cities our size in the country with such a crazy set up.

A few generations ago, that St. Francis campus was farm land, it's where Charles Townes family farm was.

The reason why there is a western, textile crescent is because the old mills skirted the city limits, but avoided actually being in the city, and in some cases, in those days, were far out enough to be in the country.

The reason why there is a western, textile crescent is because the old mills skirted the city limits, but avoided actually being in the city, and in some cases, in those days, were far out enough to be in the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived