Arcade Building

DwnUnderColumbia

I'm pretty good friends with Waccamatt and Firefox and tonight while we were out, we thought of some interesting plans for the Arcade Building. Our plans would include making the second floor a hotel with the balconies overlooking the bottom floor. The bottom floor/main floor of the building would house retail shops and other various stores. Not only would the top portion of the building be renovated but Columbia Underground would be reopened as well. This area would contain several bars and resturants for the people of columbia and also for the guests staying in the hotel. The Main Street entrance would house the retail stores while the Washington Street entrance would be the lobby for the hotel.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if the Sheraton Hotel project is a success, Rick Patel would have an interest in renovating the Arcade Building. I think he deserves kudos for seeing the Palmetto Building renovation through to completion as the Sheraton. We peered through the windows of the Sheraton tonight and it is coming together nicely. It is an exciting development and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product and especially the rooftop restaurant, the martini bar, the Starbucks and the basement restaurant. Because of the commitment made to restore the luster of the Palmetto Building, I think everyone in Columbia should make a commitment to help ensure its success. With the hotel, the Barringer Building apartments, the 4 restaurants and bars in the Sheraton and the Republic Bank renovation for the Sheraton's meeting space, that is soon going to be one heck of a busy corner.

The thing I hate about it being offices, Krazee, is that not many people get to enjoy the beauty of the building. The glass in the ceiling needs to be replaced and the building restored to its grandeur. It should be the showplace of downtown Columbia.

I haven't been over to Latta Arcade in a few weeks, so this list should be considered approximate. There are a few small restaurants (quiznos, pizza, chicken, sandwiches, etc) a barber shop, dry cleaners, and maybe a small clothier. One thing that stands out is a current fairly prominant vacancy, but this is supposedly being filled.

arcade1.jpg

Latta Arcade

One advantage this has is that behind the Arcade is Brevard Court, which is one of the few "historic" things left in the business district in Charlotte. It has complimentary businesses and functions as an extension of the arcade... restaurants, a couple of bars, a salon, several sandwich places, a travel agency, a trendy clothier, etc.

picture-7.png

Columbia's Arcade is a bit more ornate than Latta Arcade; I had no idea what the latter looked like inside, even though I've passed by it several times. I know that one of the retail spaces on the ground floor is an Eckerds.

Matt, you make a good point concerning the 2nd level being offices only. The use should be a bit more interactive.

Columbia's Arcade is a bit more ornate than Latta Arcade; I had no idea what the latter looked like inside, even though I've passed by it several times. I know that one of the retail spaces on the ground floor is an Eckerds.

Matt, you make a good point concerning the 2nd level being offices only. The use should be a bit more interactive.

Archived