pre-recorded "telemarketing" calls

runawayjim

i've been getting a lot of calls lately that are just a pre-recorded message saying "don't hang up, this is not a telemarketing call. this concerns a very important financial matter. please call _________" or "this call is about your high interest credit cards. please call ________ to learn how to lower the interest rate."

i'm on the do not call list. i wish i had caller ID to see what the deal was. does anyone know how to get these to stop? they're really obnoxious. i don't even know how they got my number unless my credit card sold it. while they say they're not telemarketing calls, i consider them to be. they're even worse than the obnoxious fraternal order of police who want to take all my money.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, but I did get an interesting one this afternoon. Mind you, this was left on my answering machine:

"This call is for _______. If this is you, please say "speaking". If you are not available, please say "not available". It then patiently waited for the however long it took for my answering machine to hang up.

While not truly a 'telemarketing' call we have been getting several calls from Columbia, SC (I live in Charlotte which is in NC) telling me that I should vote for Hillary Clinton and was paid for by Hillary Clinton, lol. I told my wife that I wasn't going to vote for her before she started leaving messages on my voicemail and I'm certainly not going to vote for her now after pulling that crap. No one wants to hear a pre-recorded message telling you that you should do something.

While not truly a 'telemarketing' call we have been getting several calls from Columbia, SC (I live in Charlotte which is in NC) telling me that I should vote for Hillary Clinton and was paid for by Hillary Clinton, lol. I told my wife that I wasn't going to vote for her before she started leaving messages on my voicemail and I'm certainly not going to vote for her now after pulling that crap. No one wants to hear a pre-recorded message telling you that you should do something.

i got a few of those before our primaries. i actually don't think i got any from hillary, but i got one from obama, one from miss teen RI telling me how important it is to vote, and one from moveon.org or one of those places.

I don't mind getting one, or even two (if the ad was different), but the problem I have is that on just one day last week we received THREE calls for the Hillary Clinton campaign and all three were the same pre-recorded message. I've counted seven calls from her so far and 0 from Obama...Clinton didn't win any points from me by bombarding me with inconvenient telephone calls that I never requested (or perhaps there is nano sized print on my voter registration?).

All I can say is thank god I'm on the "do not call" list and have a cell phone only. No telemarketing here, not even a political call. I'm sure if the politicans got ahold of my number, though, they would bombard me with calls to vote for them, being a registered independent.

Archived