Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

CCS isn't a bad looking building, but it's too "lofts at SODO-ish" for me and I fear that particular architectural style won't age well in 50+ yrs. It's like a KIA - it looks flashy now, but in a few years time it will look like crap (no offense to anyone who drives a KIA). I prefer the mediterranean rendering.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

niteowl that is a legitimate concern. Much building construction these days is unfortunately not sustainable long-term, whether it be the architectural style of the building or the quality of the materials.

What I do like about this proposal over the original concept is the lack of mediterranean revival elements -- not because I dislike the style, but because Orlando's downtown is unique to Florida's largest cities in it's lack of a predominant med revival pallate. I've urged city hall on multiple occasions to consider Orlando's vernacular when "assisting" a developer and his vision for what our downtown is supposed to look like. I find it encouraging that the city adopted an Appearance Review Board for the CBD last year, delegated to this task specifically.

This begs the question, what is Orlando's "style"?

niteowl that is a legitimate concern. Much building construction these days is unfortunately not sustainable long-term, whether it be the architectural style of the building or the quality of the materials.

What I do like about this proposal over the original concept is the lack of mediterranean revival elements -- not because I dislike the style, but because Orlando's downtown is unique to Florida's largest cities in it's lack of a predominant med revival pallate. I've urged city hall on multiple occasions to consider Orlando's vernacular when "assisting" a developer and his vision for what our downtown is supposed to look like. I find it encouraging that the city adopted an Appearance Review Board for the CBD last year, delegated to this task specifically.

This begs the question, what is Orlando's "style"?

Baker Barrios ?

Too bad there are no really riveting buildings in downtown Orlando.

Nothing that just makes you want to find a place to sit down & take it in for awhile, or that you can never resist taking your eyes off the road to look at as you drive thru on I-4.

There is all this amazing architecture out there, but none of it ever comes here.

Tampa & Jacksonville have much better high rise architecture than we do.

We are in desperate need of something fairly tall, ultra sleek & super modern looking.

Until we get something like that, I will always find downtown Orlando to be an architectural disappointment.

Personally, I find the old CNA building (whatever it's called now) to be one of the most interesting buildings around here.

It looked better with the CNA logo on it, though.

CCS isn't a bad looking building, but it's too "lofts at SODO-ish" for me and I fear that particular architectural style won't age well in 50+ yrs. It's like a KIA - it looks flashy now, but in a few years time it will look like crap (no offense to anyone who drives a KIA). I prefer the mediterranean rendering.

For me this is easily superior to SODO lofts.  In fact I think that other than the somewhat colorful facade, the two have little in common architecturally.  CCS has clean modern lines but is much less of a modern style than SODO because  the proportions of CCS would lend itself to any number of architectural styles.  

For example, I would be pleased with something exactly like this in intown Atlanta but perhaps with the white portion of the facade being brick as a nod to the traditional architecture.

screencapturemm.png

For me this is easily superior to SODO lofts.  In fact I think that other than the somewhat colorful facade, the two have little in common architecturally.  CCS has clean modern lines but is much less of a modern style than SODO because  the proportions of CCS would lend itself to any number of architectural styles.  

For example, I would be pleased with something exactly like this in intown Atlanta but perhaps with the white portion of the facade being brick as a nod to the traditional architecture.

I agree 100%. This is much cleaner than SODO.

Nothing that just makes you want to find a place to sit down & take it in for awhile, or that you can never resist taking your eyes off the road to look at as you drive thru on I-4.

There is all this amazing architecture out there, but none of it ever comes here.

We are in desperate need of something fairly tall, ultra sleek & super modern looking.

Until we get something like that, I will always find downtown Orlando to be an architectural disappointment.

Personally, I find the old CNA building (whatever it's called now) to be one of the most interesting buildings around here.

Whether you like or dislike DPAC, one thing you can't say is that it will be boring. It will be a head turner.

screencapturemm.png

Of course it's superior to SODO, more money is being spent on glass here. I just think the building could use some reworking, and they could start by using your idea of replacing the white portion of the facade with brick. It's kinda growing on me now that I've seen the rendering in black and white...

I don't think downtown Orlando really has a recognizable "style" yet. Our city is so young and our core is so small that I think we're forming our own identity as we continue to grow; which is why I'm a huge believer in smart planning & sustainability.

I agree. I always thought the CNA Tower (old name) was a good looking buiding since the time I got here in 1978 when it was basically the grand daddy of downtown. Looking at the front facing Orange the lines go all the way from top to bottom. I also like how  the tower portion is held up on a smaller base. And it did look better with the striking blue "CNA" at the top. In my younger days if I got out of a bar and those lights were off I knew I better hustle home.

The CNA was on all 4 sides at the time before they past the ordinace of only being able to put signage on only two sides of the top of a building. It made buildings that were designed for 4 sided signage look odd, like Wells Fargo (name?) at Orange and Central, our Chamber of Commerce by Ivanhoe, and the old CNA tower itself.

I agree. I always thought the CNA Tower (old name) was a good looking buiding since the time I got here in 1978 when it was basically the grand daddy of downtown. Looking at the front facing Orange the lines go all the way from top to bottom. I also like how  the tower portion is held up on a smaller base. And it did look better with the striking blue "CNA" at the top. In my younger days if I got out of a bar and those lights were off I knew I better hustle home.

The CNA was on all 4 sides at the time before they past the ordinace of only being able to put signage on only two sides of the top of a building. It made buildings that were designed for 4 sided signage look odd, like Wells Fargo (name?) at Orange and Central, our Chamber of Commerce by Ivanhoe, and the old CNA tower itself.

And more specifically, the signage can only be on the sides of the building facing I-4.

The old Wells Fargo tower was originally The Atlantic Bank.

Thank you Hamlet for your opinion but I would asses you are missing "the forest for the trees." 

• 4 months later...

“This is a pretty unique development, not only in Orlando but nationally. To be adjacent to so much multi-modal transit is a really unique opportunity.”

Oh the irony of that statement. It should read:

This is a pretty unique development, not only in Orlando but nationally. To be adjacent to so much multi-modal transit is a really unique opportunity. However, we've decided to take the least creative route and underutilize the lot with an underwhelming structure.

It should read:

This is a pretty unique development, not only in Orlando but nationally. To be adjacent to so much multi-modal transit is a really unique opportunity. However, we've decided to take the least creative route and underutilize the lot with an underwhelming structure.

This.

“This is a pretty unique development, not only in Orlando but nationally. To be adjacent to so much multi-modal transit is a really unique opportunity.”

Oh the irony of that statement. It should read:

Yup,   I have been and still am a critic of some of the lost opportunities at Union Station in Denver.  But this really puts that in perspective.  This wouldn't stand out in any suburb in any metro area in any city across the country.  Hopefully (ironically) it will be just as cheaply built as it looks and can be replaced in a couple decades with something more fitting.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived