Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get my pills, er prescriptions, at the downtown Publix pharmacy.

Understood, but it's not a true Pop-In/Pop-Out pharmacy, it's a grocery store.

I guess the argument could be that for a pharmacy, you have Publix, and for PIPO you have one of the 3.2 million 7-11 stores they seem to be building downtown.  That said, what larger city have you ever been in that you couldn't hit a pharmacy if you lived downtown?  It just seems like a missing item.

I get my pills, er prescriptions, at the downtown Publix pharmacy.

I am thankful for the Publix Pharmacy (although I miss pharmacist Rob since he decamped for College Park), but their hours are too short (even less than regular Publix hours) and they carry fewer non-prescription items than a Walgreens or CVS would.

Paul Krugman had an interesting blog post on the NY Times website today in response to an article by Henry Petroski about the decline of good construction. The reason that's pertinent here is this quote:

"Oh, and not everything worth doing is doing well. Cheap construction makes sense if you suspect that changing land use will make expensively built structure obsolete fairly soon." (italics mine)

Maybe this bodes well for a relatively quick turnaround to something we'd all like much better on this site.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/these-ages-of-shoddy/?module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body

I think Krugman is right that he should not trust anecdotes.  If cheap construction is a problem, you have to blame the owners not the builders. You get what you pay for. 

Once upon a time we had a Royal Castle (Miami's version of Krystal) and later a Burger King. Both did well at lunch but had problems justifying their existence the rest of the day. I believe that was also true of the Boston Market at Church Street Market. Now that we have a lot more folks living downtown, hopefully that's changed.

I'd love a Wendy's (I miss spicy chicken sandwiches) or even a Beefy King now that the family is franchising them again.

I was thinking about how Winter Park (which is known nationally as a successful urban village, rating notice by leaders in the movement like Andres Duany) also has quite limited variety retail. It has gotten even more limited lately with the demise of the 17-92 Kmart. What hasn't changed, though, is the continuing run of Miller's Hardware, which has been in business since 1945.

Miller's, of course, is hardly a hardware store, with everything from small appliances to gas grills. It's a godsend for Rollins students that don't have a car and has been for decades. A feature on how they've been successful and how a small retailer might duplicate that success in downtown Orlando might be perfect for Matt and The Bungalower.

A store like Miller's would be an incredible addition to downtown Orlando.

Pharmacy really seems to be the next logical step in downtown retail.

And I know I'll probably get slammed for even mentioning it, but what about fast food? Would a McDonalds Burger King, etc. do good business in the downtown core?

I have always maintained that a downtown is not a "real" city until it has a McDonald's, Wendy's & Burger King. Anything else, like Subway, KFC, Taco Hell, etc., would be extra afaic. But I think you have to have a few major fast food joints along side the more upscale places to a make the central core feel really complete. When national chains like that have enough confidence in an area to invest in it, it is also a sign of the economic health of the area too.

As was said, we had a BK for awhile, but the timing wasn't right back then. Eventually, when downtown Orlando finally becomes a true, thriving residential area, those places will appear.

The west side of Orange Avenue between Pine and Church, iirc. It was in the middle of the block but it may have been further down.

Wasn't it in the building that burnt down on corner of Pine/Orange next to Midnite Pizza?  For some reason I vaguely remember it being in the space that later became Quiznos.  

There was chatter of McDonalds moving into the back side of Chase Plaza (under Solaire).  Not sure what happened there.  

I was thinking about how Winter Park (which is known nationally as a successful urban village, rating notice by leaders in the movement like Andres Duany) also has quite limited variety retail. It has gotten even more limited lately with the demise of the 17-92 Kmart. What hasn't changed, though, is the continuing run of Miller's Hardware, which has been in business since 1945.

Miller's, of course, is hardly a hardware store, with everything from small appliances to gas grills. It's a godsend for Rollins students that don't have a car and has been for decades. A feature on how they've been successful and how a small retailer might duplicate that success in downtown Orlando might be perfect for Matt and The Bungalower.

The Ace Hardware in College Park on Edgewater was similar to Miller's and appeared to be very successful - but they moved north on the drive away from the pedestrian-friendly portion and now have to compete with Home Depot on Lee Rd. Everyone I know in College Park laments that they moved.  These types of hardware stores are a staple of urban retial in NYC - not just perfect for those without a car, but perfect for places with lots of rentals, one-bedroom places, and those with high occupent turnover rates; selling paint, brushes, tape, toilet plungers, mounts for hanging stuff, etc goes a long way.  I would've used it all the time when I lived downtown

• 2 months later...

Orlando is going to regret all of these mid rise building in the central business district in a few years. Lake Eola and pass the Orange County Court House is okay, but between that should be higher in my opinion.

Where would the regret come from? A lack of empty lots to build on? I guess we'll just have to build taller! 

I think in a few years we'll be thankful for all these mid rises. 

Economist and NY Times columnist Paul Krugman recently observed that buildings are often built more economically these days with an eye to replacement as the increasing costs of real estate practically demand "highest and best use" of property. 

I think in Orlando's case, the market may have initially misjudged just how popular downtown is going to be after the completion of the venues and with the proposals for UCF Downtown and the like - these midrises may be a way to hedge bets until developers know for sure. Heaven knows, stucco on plywood is easily enough replaced with a good tropical storm blowing through town - let's hear it for climate change!

I know that in my lifetime it used to be assumed buildings were supposed to last for a minimum of 30 years - significant public buildings longer still. But then I was shocked to see the Colonial Plaza Ivey's leveled after only 12 years, and of course the O-rena just kicking and screaming to hit 20. It seems the world has changed. Truth be told, will anyone really miss a Baker Barrios visor building?

The way I see it, Orlando should have a minimum number of existing inventory of residential/ mixed use low rises of varying heights- but it doesn't.  I see these projects as "catch up" projects.

There's way too many empty lots around downtown, as liveable as it is...  But this latest salvo of projects is helping to correct that.

I think the City's disenchantment with the Sentinel's low rise massing study created by zoning allowances reflects the same conditions that allowed Crescent and Steelhouse to come to fruition as a low rise- that plus the fact that those lots were undeveloped for so many years and I think the City just wanted something- anything built to kick start things.

I know that in my lifetime it used to be assumed buildings were supposed to last for a minimum of 30 years - significant public buildings longer still. But then I was shocked to see the Colonial Plaza Ivey's leveled after only 12 years, and of course the O-rena just kicking and screaming to hit 20. It seems the world has changed. Truth be told, will anyone really miss a Baker Barrios visor building?

Yep. Re: the Ivey's building, what a waste!!! Beautiful store looked like it was still brand new. Too bad it was located in the wrong spot.

Same with the O-rena.

Archived