Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer is out of the question. BBVA would not fit on the site. It needs at least three more acres. 

The City of Orlando has no right to dictate the use and scale of the project as long as it meets code. What Rida is proposing, I believes meets code minimum. If it did not, they would have the ability to reject it. 

Lastly, the latest plans Rida puts together makes me think realistic, not underwhelming. 

Soccer is out of the question. BBVA would not fit on the site. It needs at least three more acres. 

The City of Orlando has no right to dictate the use and scale of the project as long as it meets code. What Rida is proposing, I believes meets code minimum. If it did not, they would have the ability to reject it. 

Lastly, the latest plans Rida puts together makes me think realistic, not underwhelming. 

Well im sure it would not be the same size as BBVA, probably hold around 19,000 rather than 22,000. Anyways Im sure it would never happen on that site, but imagine the extension or retail, restraunts, and bars a stadium could bring to that location. It would give people a reason to go that far up Orange and further the core of downtown. Not to mention how nice it would be to beable to leave a game or concert and walk a block to the bars from the stadium. It could really give Orlando that European feel everyone talks about, and make that part of Orange more pedestrian friendly.

Why is this project continuing to get smaller? And where was the mention of retail space? If this parcel doesn't contain a substantial amount of retail, it will absolutely be a waste of a huge opportunity for this city. Even NORA is taller than these apartments will be, too. Not liking where this is going.

This is Orlando.

All proposed downtown projects end up smaller than originally envisioned!!!! :(

... in continuation of lofty, albeit idealistic visions for our city's heart, this design would fit nicely fronting the courthouse and Orange, leading to the main transit hub of downtown. http://www.archdaily.com/319665/shanghai-wuzhou-international-plaza-winning-proposal-synthesis-design-architecture-inc-shenzhen-general-institute-of-architectural-design-and-research/

Not sure what people would think of this, but that space has such great potential to be converted into something great, like Sony Plaza in Berlin mentioned by praha earlier, in a similar shape. Since the  courthouse plaza is off-center in the block and the Sunrail station (maybe) more centered, the space could connect the two.  This was made by me, bored on paint. 

RAAAAL6N_EG4TSviVRH2jlCw82vH8EnZAF6wJOym

The center would look nice with a pond having Floridian vegetation, similar to the segment of Lincoln Road in Miami Beach where the AMC movie theater and and the 1111 building are located. The contrast between the modern architecture and old Florida vegetation is really nice, imo, when done well. Just throwing ideas out there to see what people think.

1315925784-13-1111-lincoln-road-raymond-

159571_lincoln-road-steven-brooke-photog

slideshow_std_h_sketch2.jpg?1341595908

I went to a networking event in downtown last night and spoke with a representative from Rida. He was gracious enough to let me ask questions/vent some frustration that we all have regarding this project. There's really nothing new to report, other than retails are planned, the land is currently being staked/survey, project be completed by end of 2014, there will be some type of courtyard, and the whole idea of this development was to extend the uptown concept into this area. I had several drinks in me so thats all I remembered. He mentioned that he knows about this forum, and believe that final product will be receptive. For what its worth, I hope Rida is listening.

To me, it seems like we are going to have a slightly taller version of SoDo.  Nothing spectacular, but the reality is like Jack said.  We are Orlando.  Be glad we get anything.  Also, if there is anything we have learned about Orlando development, it is that Phase 2's never come to fruition.

Also, if there is anything we have learned about Orlando development, it is that Phase 2's never come to fruition.

Ain't that the truth.

All that being said, I'd take a SoDo-like development if it came with national retailers. How cool would it be (and what a perk for residents) if there were a SuperTarget, 24/7 Fitness, TJ Maxx, etc. in the downtown CBD? And I could really overlook a lot of piss poor design if there were a Trader Joe's in the mix. Dare to dream.

It would be ironic if this development, given it's urban location, were designed to be less pedestrian friendly than SODO. 

Also, I'm not encouraged that RIDA wants to bring "Uptown" to "Downtown."  Uptown is such a vague concept that it doesn't even have a solid name.  How about we bring "Downtown" to downtown, Rida?

It would be ironic if this development, given it's urban location, were designed to be less pedestrian friendly than SODO. 

Also, I'm not encouraged that RIDA wants to bring "Uptown" to "Downtown."  Uptown is such a vague concept that it doesn't even have a solid name.  How about we bring "Downtown" to downtown, Rida?

Uptown is not a vague concept. It is a working community with two developments being built right now, one more in the works, and two that already exist. It is EASILY walkable to this location. The only thing vague about Uptown anymore is the name of the area. And Uptown IS "downtown", too. Sorry, but I agree with none of the opposition to RIDA wanting to bring the residents of Uptown to downtown. It's a very smart idea. I just hope they do it right. 

Xander, it is not because I don't live in Uptown.  We've been discussing on this board for some time now the issues that are facing Uptown -- lack of basic services and commerce.  Personally I think the increased density coming to Uptown due to apartment construction is a positive indicator that all of this can change.

To me, it seems like we are going to have a slightly taller version of SoDo.  Nothing spectacular, but the reality is like Jack said.  We are Orlando.  Be glad we get anything.  Also, if there is anything we have learned about Orlando development, it is that Phase 2's never come to fruition.

Let's all keep in mind also, that even though a highrise isn't getting built on that site, there's a huge prime lot just one block to the north of that one.

nofrida.jpg

Demo the old BellSouth building The Hub bar & Southeast Steel. Build around the Firestone.

Parking garage across the tracks.

I'm not so much concerned about the lack of height as I am about the lack of activity on the ground floor.  This is Orlando's one chance to develop a significant parcel into an activity center adjacent SunRail.  Having services here, a place to grab a bite or magazine and wait comfortably (out of weather, away from panhandlers) for a train could make or break the commuting experience for people.

To JFW's point, if we're worried about height, there's a lot of land to go vertical on when the time and project is right - the block east of Firestone has a couple of old Sentinel buildings and surface parking that could be replaced (although I'll miss the trees,) and much of the strip between Garland and CSX could use redevelopment, not to mention Creative Village and what's going to happen on the main Sentinel lot when the paper closes down.   

Xander, it is not because I don't live in Uptown.  We've been discussing on this board for some time now the issues that are facing Uptown -- lack of basic services and commerce.  Personally I think the increased density coming to Uptown due to apartment construction is a positive indicator that all of this can change.

I do, too. I'm witnessing it change every single day that I step outside my door. What i'm saying is, it's not like Uptown doesn't exist because it's been floating different names. It's currently an area in significant development, and in the next year alone will have more than 1000 new residents and 10k square feet of retail. Once the Sevens gets built, that'll help advance the area even further, both in vertical density, retail space, and more residents. And GDC is also helping develop more retail in the area as more people populate the area. But i'd suggest to not act like it's a waste of time for a project that's coming online at the exact same time that over 1000 more residents will be living less than a mile from is trying to build something for those residents to go TO. I think it's realistic and smart. These are projects that are either under construction, almost complete (Steelhouse), or seeking final approval (The Sevens). Uptown is changing in reality, not just in planning. 

Let's all keep in mind also, that even though a highrise isn't getting built on that site, there's a huge prime lot just one block to the north of that one.

nofrida.jpg

Demo the old BellSouth building The Hub bar & Southeast Steel. Build around the Firestone.

Parking garage across the tracks.

That truly would be a great sector to develop. The lot across from LYNX could tie in and be a fantastic place to put retail. It's our mass transit hub. That's why it deserves more planning than i'm seeing, and I know if I realize this, i'm not the only one. Dream big, build big.

Isnt this plot was once graced with a project named City Centre?

If this is the center of the city...this project is indeed very underwhelming.. I rather have the city put a park there until the real estate pick up steams.

I am not asking for a grand project like Time Warner Center or the former ded Orlando city Place...a cluster of 3 towers at the height between 15 to 20 would be good considering it is ORlando.

Couple of buildings below 10 stories...you might as well put it by UCF or Paramorre...

Rida, please sell your land to Novarre...

Archived