Rida Development Corp's Mixed-Use Complex [Under Construction]

MaXxlife

Don't really get the obsession with high-rises on this forum.  CIties like Portland and Salt Lake City don't have many high-rises in their CBDs, but they've done great things with the general accessibility and livability of their downtowns. I'm much happier to see something like this going up as opposed to that Arquitectonica sh**fest Pizzuti was proposing in the 90's.  

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

LOL.  if all of the future low rises in this town looked like something out of SF, Chicago, NYC, London, or Paris, you'd get no complaints from me...  If they packed downtown with brownstone or brick low-rises or other higher quality structures, I'd be fine with that.

Don't really get the obsession with high-rises on this forum.  CIties like Portland and Salt Lake City don't have many high-rises in their CBDs, but they've done great things with the general accessibility and livability of their downtowns. I'm much happier to see something like this going up as opposed to that Arquitectonica sh**fest Pizzuti was proposing in the 90's.  

Quite simple, I think of Portland and SLC as low Tier 3 or even Tier 4 cities.  With the shift in population, there's no reason Orlando can't become a Tier 2 city within the next 25 years.

We are not all like that, but I liked the cube. Besides that, most on this forum I think leans towards mid-rises. I know Spenser would agree that some of the best neighborhoods in the US are the ones with 4-5 story buildings. 

And I would not call Salt Lake City and Portland Tier 3 or 4 cities. 

I actually came here just to post that it went vertical too. As many missed opportunities as we see with the development from our couches - there's a lot to be happy about.

- it's infill - less blocks left vacant, another block with some shade and awnings to protect you from the rain or sun when walking around.

- it's residential - the 10th owner of Terrace 390 will appreciate having them next door

- the connection from SunRail to Orange is great - what a great public space this could become.

^^

LOL.  if all of the future low rises in this town looked like something out of SF, Chicago, NYC, London, or Paris, you'd get no complaints from me...  If they packed downtown with brownstone or brick low-rises or other higher quality structures, I'd be fine with that.

We have had some recent low-to-mid rise structures that I would consider "higher" quality, a few that come to mind:

Thornton Park Central

The Paramount at Lake Eola

Eola South (probably Baker Barrios only architectural slam dunk)

The Wellesley College Park

The Waverly

Notice that most of those I've listed are on Central Ave, no doubt the street that transformed the most successfully into an urban, pedestrian oriented street over the last 15 years.

A few current proposals / projects that I would consider to have transforming potential are:

NORA Uptown

Crescent Central Station (due to location even if it doesn't necessarily "rise" to the occasion)

Nothing awe inspiring about a 6 story building.

Barcelona didn't get the memo:

aYgmC.jpg

We have had some recent low-to-mid rise structures that I would consider "higher" quality, a few that come to mind:

Thornton Park Central

The Waverly

Notice that most of those I've listed are on Central Ave, no doubt the street that transformed the most successfully into an urban, pedestrian oriented street over the last 15 years.

A few current proposals / projects that I would consider to have transforming potential are:

NORA Uptown

Crescent Central Station (due to location even if it doesn't necessarily "rise" to the occasion)

aYgmC.jpg

Thank you!  Orlando will never be Barcelona, but it doesn't have to be Phoenix or LA either. Awe-inspiring for me is being able to people-watch the procession along a grand boulevard.  Its a victory of humanity and smart urban planning, not some developer courting bankers or law firms with phallic complexes.    

Quite simple, I think of Portland and SLC as low Tier 3 or even Tier 4 cities.  With the shift in population, there's no reason Orlando can't become a Tier 2 city within the next 25 years.

I'm a big fan of the GaWC classification of metros (http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2012t.html).  Orlando ranks a Gamma-, next to Columbus, OH, Kansas City, and Portland.  There's no reason Orlando couldn't move into the Beta leagues in the next 20 years with Denver, San Diego, and Seattle, passing up Charlotte, NC and Tampa along the way, given the right vision and the right leadership.

Thank you!  Orlando will never be Barcelona, but it doesn't have to be Phoenix or LA either. Awe-inspiring for me is being able to people-watch the procession along a grand boulevard.  Its a victory of humanity and smart urban planning, not some developer courting bankers or law firms with phallic complexes.    

I agree 100%. I can think of many examples of wonderful, livable cities that are nothing but mid-rises - Geneva, Paris just to name a couple.  Closer to home, the most urban, pedestrian friendly parts of Boston are all nothing but mid-rises as well.  I tend to find most high-rises to be very pedestrian unfriendly and a bit soul sucking, to be honest.

^^

that Barcelona shot is awesome.

^^

downtown Orlando and high rises...like in the 400' range or taller...we had a good shot during the boom before the banks even realized the bubble was coming... to get a few more ala TT and Verde twins et al..  Now, it seems you would have to be a Novare caliber developer to be given realistic consideration for a highrise.

Still, when walking on the sidewalk, NORA will be awesome, as will Central Sta.  I'm still giddy over the seemingly underwhelming Steelhouse project b/c I remember what was there before they built it and I think the improvements to that tract are Grade A.  It's tough to get people to want to live directly off of Colonial-- unless you are in that older 17 story condo by Lake Highland.

I think Orlando needs these parcels and tracts filled to create and expand the synergy downtown between residential, commercial, and retail/restaurant and non-residential.  I think it's on the right track.

^^

design-wise,  there are some good quality and attractive low rises- I agree. 

Thornton Park Central

The Waverly

NORA Uptown

aYgmC.jpg

The Sagrada Familia makes me weak in the knees.  Maybe the awe-inspiring building I've been to in person.  Nice photo

^^

that Barcelona shot is awesome.

^^

downtown Orlando and high rises...like in the 400' range or taller...we had a good shot during the boom before the banks even realized the bubble was coming... to get a few more ala TT and Verde twins et al..  Now, it seems you would have to be a Novare caliber developer to be given realistic consideration for a highrise.

Still, when walking on the sidewalk, NORA will be awesome, as will Central Sta.  I'm still giddy over the seemingly underwhelming Steelhouse project b/c I remember what was there before they built it and I think the improvements to that tract are Grade A.  It's tough to get people to want to live directly off of Colonial-- unless you are in that older 17 story condo by Lake Highland.

I think Orlando needs these parcels and tracts filled to create and expand the synergy downtown between residential, commercial, and retail/restaurant and non-residential.  I think it's on the right track.

^^

design-wise,  there are some good quality and attractive low rises- I agree. 

Orlando lost its chances for a supertall when the Trust Company merged with Sunbank in 1985.  Orlando is not a banking center; it is a tourism and technology center which is competing with other Sunbelt cities for growth industries for the future, which don't need large monuments to developer ego.  I'd rather see a network of densely developed neighborhood centers connected by BRT/LRT systems, with a small, clean downtown for large civic buildings and public gatherings.  The RIDA project is consistent with that vision.  Let the Charlotte or Atlanta folks talk endlessly about their Emerald City downtowns; they've been drinking the civic boosterism Kool-Aid for years, and it reflects in the comments you often read in those forums.  

Orlando lost its chances for a supertall when the Trust Company merged with Sunbank in 1985.  Orlando is not a banking center; it is a tourism and technology center which is competing with other Sunbelt cities for growth industries for the future, which don't need large monuments to developer ego.  I'd rather see a network of densely developed neighborhood centers connected by BRT/LRT systems, with a small, clean downtown for large civic buildings and public gatherings.  The RIDA project is consistent with that vision.  Let the Charlotte or Atlanta folks talk endlessly about their Emerald City downtowns; they've been drinking the civic boosterism Kool-Aid for years, and it reflects in the comments you often read in those forums.  

I have to say that I kind of agree.

I agree with those points as well. It is worth noting that a some of us (myself included) migrated to Urban Planet from Skyscraper City as it became clear that UP has a much more mature and helpful community, as well as a better website. So there might be some community roots there.

Tall structures are incredible and awe inspiring. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who doesn't enjoy looking at a good skyline. Just like I doubt most of us would choose another decade of empty lots for a hypothetical supertall. So, I would say to not mistake that admiration for tunnel vision. It's just something we (or at least I) have a deep appreciation for.

Thornton Park Central

The Waverly

NORA Uptown

aYgmC.jpg

Beautiful picture of block after nearly identical block after nearly identical block.

I'm certain that as a city, Orlando pales in Barcelona's shadow, but VISUALLY SPEAKING.... I still say a sleek, modern 40+ story building is more awe inspiring to behold than a block of 6 story examples of ancient architectural design.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that old mid-rise buildings aren't beautiful, but personally, I wouldn't want to live in a city that had nothing but.

• 2 weeks later...

the concrete pylons are mostly all up on Central Station;  still can't believe they are doing construction on this property.

I am surprised to see how quick this is moving, or maybe it's because any sort of movement on this block feels big after the years of nothing. Seriously though, you feel how well this is going to connect this area of downtown.

I still think the Old Southern Bank and the south end of the BOA block cause 2 dead blocks that still need a connection.  I'd like that old gas station that has Sir Speedy in it to be turned into a microbrewery or something to kind of join the blocks together.

• 4 weeks later...

I still think the Old Southern Bank and the south end of the BOA block cause 2 dead blocks that still need a connection.  I'd like that old gas station that has Sir Speedy in it to be turned into a microbrewery or something to kind of join the blocks together.

It seems like Orlando would be primed to have a few more hometown microbreweries take off.  If I had the extra time/money I'd seriously consider getting friends together to start one up.  I could advertise that I'm from Denver/Ft Collins and hope that people (wrongly) assume I know how to make good beer!

Archived