Proposed New West End Residence.

distortedlogic

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. Some aspects of the design do bother me a little, but more things like this would be great downtown, IMO.

It reminds me of some of the new stuff being built in Amsterdam. I'd love to see something like this set up in Greenville:

This particular development got the government to throw out all design restrictions except for lot width and depth. Other than that the owners were allowed to construct anything they wanted in that space. Most of the houses are therefore really just a visualization of the individual's ideas, interests, and personality. One house was designed literally around a tree. Another was designed to display the owner's antique cars, while they lived above. Very fascinating. I'm sure it's more so to me, than most. Nonetheless, this residence reminds me of what I got to see and learn about in Amsterdam. Here's some pictures:

2460050401_4bbf2f6f1d.jpg

2460884732_db1ba28c1c.jpg

How could anyone think Boggs Street is not in the West End? :dontknow:

I wonder if this is the same residence that was planned for redevelopment sometime last year? I recall seeing drawings that showed a cool modern design, but thought they looked better than this. I don't have a problem with modern architecture, but plain brick walls need some accented design elements to break up the extremely boring monotony, in my opinion. Does anyone recall the nasty plain look of Main Street in the 1960s?

I see what you mean, and it would probably fit in better with some company. Maybe this would be somewhat of a new trendsetter for DT. It will be interesting to watch though. There are several other DT projects in this price range, many of which have already been delayed. I wonder if a buyer from a delayed project might switch, or if there is really enough market for this price range to accomodate all of them. We were initially told 12 condos over 1 MM sold for the peacock, and a 1.85MM for the POM. So who knows.

BTW, I was trying to paste the rendering right on to the post, but can't figure out how to do it. :dontknow:

I wonder if this is the same residence that was planned for redevelopment sometime last year? I recall seeing drawings that showed a cool modern design, but thought they looked better than this. I don't have a problem with modern architecture, but plain brick walls need some accented design elements to break up the extremely boring monotony, in my opinion. Does anyone recall the nasty plain look of Main Street in the 1960s?

Bill Cox, a friend of our family, is an artist and wood-worker who lives in the west end, designed this house. His home, which I visited during Artisphere is located to the left of the design, and has the deck with the PACE flag flying on top of it. It is only entrance is through the cooly designed door next to Munchies. His house was featured in Greenville Magazine, Home and Garden, or something of that sort. Mr. Cox owned an art studio next to his home (red trimed wood windows), where he displayed and sold his work. He recently sold this studio to, I believe, work on this project. The man is a very talented, and peculiar fellow, with an amazing talent for the arts. Owning a house designed by him would be an honor. I remember seeing the model and cutaway of the house in his studio, and it looked fantastic!

The first reaction may be "wow, what an ugly house" - mine was. But the more I thought about it the better it looks.

It fits the location very well. It is surrounded by commercial buildings and is in one of the busiest, most "urban" places in town. It is on a very narrow lot and appears to use all the space allowed. The design is plain but still has some originality and flair.

It is urban design old-school. The earliest towns were walled cities and each house is also its own little walled city to carve out some privacy and quiet among the hustle and bustle outside the door. The outside walls are for protection, not to advertise your wealth. The luxury is inside. This house has solid masonry walls and a little courtyard screened by a wall. You don't want windows accessible to any one of the thousands of people who could presumably walk by each day and the solid walls also would keep it quiet inside.

Looks like it has skylights and possibly a stairway exit to the roof. (Not sure about that though.) The yellow column is an exterior, copper-clad chimney according to the description. If the buyer wanted more exterior decoration I am sure they could have it. Anybody who can afford a 1.3 million dollar house can probably get all the extras they want.

When you look on the map that is linked to the C. Dan Joyner webpage it shows the property being on River st not Boggs. To tell the truth I went looking for Boggs st last night and couldn't find it. I don't know if this is another G-vegas, two names for one street thing or not either.

Update: Yes, the map on Joyner's website has this property siting in the empty dirt lot next to riverplace.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Like that comment.

If West End is to truely be Greenville's arts district, then it should be eclectic in architecture. IMO, the city shouldn't pigeon hole the zone into one type of architecture.

I like what I see of this house....wish the renderings were better (more detailed). Looks like a great addition to the area.

Archived